Gaming laptop help

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine had one, connection to the screen failed within the first year, power port failed a year after that, it trucked along, he got it repaired a couple of times, but didn't get much help besides a "yours and everyone else's" This was just after Dell bought them, so maybe they are better, But its hard to know. Also reliability testing with laptops has been notoriously biased and misleading for a long time. It could be that they have had trouble, or it could be that reviewers look harder for flaws in a hipster "I liked alienware before it was popular" sort of thing.

I see, thank you. I sure do hope they have their act together. The reviews I checked out were positive.

I have an Alienware 18 that is still running like a champ. I think it is hit or miss, but this one and a 10 year old run still work great.

To run all of my 3d modeling programs and for cad/cam, and renderings, I use an asus rog. Fast, never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

FWIW: I'm on my second Dell Precision Mobile since, oh, a long time. I bought the first in 2005, IIRC, a top-end 6500. In 2012 I upgraded RAM and put in SSDs. Then in 2014 I purchased a 6800, with 32Gb, 2 1Tb SSD, i7-4940 @ 3.10 Ghz, and an NVidia K4100M (along with the Intel on MB). I'm driving 2 27" 4k monitors. I sold the 4800 to a buddy, it is still going strong.

I do always get the 4 year total coverage. I've found that if I combine the laptop with enough server / SAN Gear upgrades for a data center, Dell drops the price significantly. The 6800 had a list price of something like $7,000.00 with everything - and my rep got it to me for $3,000.00.

Battery life running multiple sessions of RDC, Word, Excel, Chrome is good: I get about 3 hours. Huge improvement compared to the 6500, where I got 45 minutes.

I never had any issues with the 6500 that I didn't cause. I managed to pour a 32 oz glass of water into the keyboard one day. Dell came out, replaced everything, and I was up and running in a day.

There were plenty of times during beta testing that it ran for 3 days straight. I really do like the machines; I do a lot of the Adobe suite, and they handle all that just fine, as well as whatever version of Visual Studio, along with SQL Server, mySQL, etc.

I might be wrong on the years, don't call me on that.

Last edited:
Spammers removed.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back