Ganzo as a "gateway drug"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've found a good reason to buy ganzo's knockoff knives. For a while I've thought the PM2 was an overhyped knife and I didn't understand why everyone revered it. So I decided to "dip a toe in the water" and try out the Ganzo ripoff of the PM2 and now I'm pretty much in love. I will definitely be picking up a PM2 in the near future. So what are your thoughts? I understand why people hate Ganzo stealing designs but what if it ends up making someone buy the original when they wouldn't have otherwise?

I would rather take the $20 that the Ganzo cost and put it towards the price of a knife of the same model on the exchange.

This way if I don't like it, I find out for less than MSRP and I can sell it for near what I paid, if not the same amount. If I do like it, I don't have to buy another knife and have a lesser, cheap, model that was made to lesser mechanical and ethical standards laying about.
----
If a Ganzo cost $20, I would sooner give the cash to a stranger and ask them to kick me in the crotch in exchange. At least that way I won't be risking the loss of a few fingers...

I'm not trying to be smart at all by saying this, it's a legitimate question. Has anyone suffered an injury from ganzo lock failure?

I get what you're saying about buying one cheaper and being able to get out of it for the same money, but to me 80-100 bucks is a lotta dough to be putting into something I don't even know if I like

You should do is whatever it is you feel like doing, but then don't post about it when you know (or should know, if you've been here for 2 years and paying attention) that your actions are going to be disapproved of by a large number of posters. I never understood this need by some people to confess their sins and try to get acceptance. Buy your counterfeits/clones if that makes you happy and keep your mouth shut about it.

Why do you care what we think when you've already come up with a justification for your actions to yourself? For whatever "valid reasons" you are still rewarding the cloners for their actions by giving them your money.

Love knock-offs. Really give you a good representation of what the actual knife is going to be like. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to "confess my sins" at all. I was just interested in what people might think about what I had to say. I guess now I know.

And yeah I've been a member here two years but I've heard you all are a bunch of snobby jerks so I've been nervous to ever give an opinion or say any of my thoughts, I guess now we know why.

I get what you're saying about buying one cheaper and being able to get out of it for the same money, but to me 80-100 bucks is a lotta dough to be putting into something I don't even know if I like
If $80-$100 is a decent amount of coin, then $20 isn't much to blink at either. That is 1/4 - 1/5 of your total expenditure value down the drain.

I would consider that a larger risk with less likelihood of a positive pay off.
The Ganzo will be unlikely to:
- Live up to the fit and finish standards of the real knife.
- Who knows what alloy they actually used, or how it was heat treated.
- If you have any issues, you can just throw it out and not expect any company backing.
- And there is more if you want me to actually sit down and think of them.

How is this a sampling of what to expect from a quality company?

You paid for what you got. Part of what you paid for is the mindset and opinions of those that do not support theft.

I think I've found a good reason to buy ganzo's knockoff knives. For a while I've thought the PM2 was an overhyped knife and I didn't understand why everyone revered it. So I decided to "dip a toe in the water" and try out the Ganzo ripoff of the PM2 and now I'm pretty much in love. I will definitely be picking up a PM2 in the near future. So what are your thoughts? I understand why people hate Ganzo stealing designs but what if it ends up making someone buy the original when they wouldn't have otherwise?

My opinion is that counterfeiting is theft. It's sad you chose to support them.

I was just interested in what people might think about what I had to say
Sometimes what people think about what you have to say is not quite what you wanted to hear. There is always that risk. If you feel that you want to try to convince people who don't agree with you that your actions are right and justifiable, then prepare for some bruising from the ensuing discussion.

You have a valid premise if you want to defend it. Your premise is that you would never have purchased a PM2 without the chance to try it first for low financial risk. The existence of the PM2 clones siphons off some number (hard to determine) of sales of PM2 knives from Spyderco. But because you were able to buy a Ganzo, you will now buy an actual PM2, generating a sale they would not otherwise have received.

So the question you are posing is - perhaps the number of sales generated by people who try a clone PM2 first, offsets the total number of sales lost to the cloners, which is hard to determine and therefore open to quite a bit of speculation.

That is the point you should be taking a position on and arguing.

Don't go! We're not all bad!

I really hate you guys, I'm done with this forum

Are you 12 years old??
A ridiculous position you chose and expected what??
Pats on the back??
With skin that thin you're better off heading out the door.
Now stop stamping your feet and holding your breath......just leave.

I really hate you guys, I'm done with this forum

dsc01474.jpg

yeah stick around and let your skin thicken---I feel what you did was what you felt you had to do within your financial means and for that I would not scold you.Like posted above it was a learning tool that did not cost much so you could get what you wanted--the real PM2.We are not all that bad,I mean I am not happy about theft but it happens so just take your bashing with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back