gap in guard

AF

I hope this is the best place for my question.
I have a knife from a skilled maker, I love the knife but there is a small gap on one side of the guard. It's a mortised tang knife. The guard is not soldered. The gap probably wouldn't bother most people but it seems like an invitation to moisture and corrosion. Is there anything I can do to seal it without ruining this beautiful knife?

Honestly, the very best person you can ask that question is the man that made the knife. Being a maker myself, I would certainly welcome the opportunity to make one of my customers happy given the chance. If he can't or won't help you then I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. But, out of respect to the man that made the knife you should give him first dibs on fixing that little gap. Or giving you ideas on how to seal it yourself.

Max is right on ask the maker
it's one of the ways that makes us better at what we do:)

Thanks for the replies.
Can anyone give me a one or two line answer as to how a gap would be closed? I'm not looking for instructions, just what could be done. I realize that the maker would be best qualified to do the work but any maker should be able to tell me what is possible.

to do it Right I'd say the has to come apart
then either swadge the mateial in or fit a new one. you can fill it
:)

I had the same thing happen to me and I used super glue gel. If the gap was "large" I would advise sending it back to the maker.

Back