Gasoline!?!?!

Just hit $5.19 a gallon here in Atlanta!

People are going nuts! Lines of 40-50 cars trying to get into gas stations! My truck, car and motorcycles are full or nearly so.

Guess I need to get out my khuks and guns to protect my gas cans?

I here ya Bill.
The cheap stuff here is a 3.50-4.00 a gal already. I'm conserving gas as much as possible. i'm not even going to get my hair cut tonight. Forget it. at dang near $4 a gal i'm using as little of it as possible...even at 47 mtg that i get on my motorcycle. I feel awfully sorry for the V8ers out there. My truck is staying parked for the forseeable future. The Harley is going to be the primary ride for my to and from drive. Cold weather is what heavy leather jackets and chaps are for :cool:

Jake

It is $5.87 in South Atlanta and the news is saying that some places are almost out due to everyone going to fill up. Guess I need to go and put on my Lord Humongous mask and fur loin cloth (bad guy from the Road Warrior movie).

$2.99 - $3.09 in Ohio and still no hurricanes or earthquakes.

Damn glad I filled up yesterday. I thought it'd go up... but that is just crazy!

It was $2.58 a gallon for cheap stuff here in Driggs yesterday. I'd be intersted to see what it is today... but I ain't driving to find out :p .

From what I have seen, it was estimated to go up to $4.00 a gallon this week... but come back down after a short time. Over $5.00 is just nuts... it is going to be a long haul.

Alan

Steely_Gunz said:
I feel awfully sorry for the V8ers out there.

That would be me...:(

Fortunately, the only commute I have is exactly a mile, each way.

But gas is still only 2.75 here...

Bill - one year, back when I was living in Savannah (back in 98 or 99)...gas dropped to 79 cents a gallon - remember that?
(probably never got that low in Atlanta, though)

My next question is how much of this is calculated figures based on emergency supply and demand...and how much of this is the gas companies licking their slobbery chops?
I got a C in economics, but i know that public panic equals profits if you're selling the right stuff.

Jake

Mark Nelson said:
It is $5.87 in South Atlanta and the news is saying that some places are almost out due to everyone going to fill up. Guess I need to go and put on my Lord Humongous mask and fur loin cloth (bad guy from the Road Warrior movie).

The Ayatola of Rock and Rolla!

Frank

Hey, Brian.

The worst flooding in NO was from the north. That's where the big levee failures were on Monday. Then all that x" of monsoon rain came flooding down, into the lake, through the breaks in the levees, and slosh!

ABS said it's about stopped getting worse, flooding wise, because the level in the city = the level of the lake. That means water 6 - 20 feet around/over buildings. Tough on ranch style homes.

And the Mayor was on TV this AM saying it would be a couple of months until the City would be habitable. Wonder where he lives.

And I would sure put the super pumps on low ground without auxiliary power, wouldn't you? I mean, a hurricane wouldn't knock down power lines, would it?
Nah!

(BTW, if AA says 6 ft surges caused damage in Fla., what would 28 feet do in that same area? Get out the topo maps.)

It has got to be easier to push water uphill through a pipe than to try and suck it through a pipe.

But certainly some thought should have been give to some sort of back-up.

It seems that they could have lost pumping capability under much less severe circumstances.

Perhaps some consultation witht the Dutch is in order?

ANd we've got propane, natural gas, and heating oil prices to deal with, as well as foodstuff imports normally made through New Orleans. Then we can treat ourselves to higher insurance rates regardless of where you live. Katrina; the gift that keeps on giving.

munk

Look at my piggy bank after I bought gas yesterday.

4316462E000E361D000002A221604666489D0A049B079F9CD204

Steely_Gunz said:
My next question is how much of this is calculated figures based on emergency supply and demand...and how much of this is the gas companies licking their slobbery chops?
I got a C in economics, but i know that public panic equals profits if you're selling the right stuff.

Jake

Exactly. I worked for Chevron USA for almost 7 years and I can tell you without a doubt that these thieving SOB's raised the price overnight based on this news, even though millions of gallons of gas are in the system pipeline and storage reserves that didn't cost them anywhere near this price at all.

You have only one defense, and it's not a bad one, and that is to buy stock in the oil companies. The stock price doubles and splits and doubles again. They will rake billions more off the top by this gouging, and have been doing so all along even pre-Katrina. I have been paying $3.19 per gallon here for weeks. My last fill up cost me almost 60 bucks.

If they don't watch it their gouging will cause a huge recession, but they are immune from that as well. And wait until the Winter hits and fuel oil prices start skyrocketing as well. Thanks God I don't live back east.

We in CA have been asking for years why our prices are so much higher than the rest of the CONUS, when most of the major refineries are out here, and they didn't have to move the stuff far at all. So now the Southland gets hit why should our price go up? But I guarantee it will. I have stockpiled some gas but it's all 87 octane and I can't use it in my car, although my wife can use it OK.

I worked for Unocal in '73, and for Chevron in '78, and I could tell you stories that would curl your hair about gas lines and the demanding aholes in them who would do anything, wait hours, to save 5 cents a gallon, and they blamed the guys at the pump for the price gouging. That was back when it hit $1.55/gallon in '78, and the company sold it by liters for a while trying to fool the public that they were "only" paying .41 cents per "unit." It took a bit for the public to understand the concept that there are 3.785 liters per gallon and that they were essentially paying almost .40 cents a quart.

Years after I left that company I was waking up with nightmares, and that is no sh*&. I went for two weeks once in '78 getting into some kind of a fight with a customer every day, and kept a pair of small tin snips in my pocket so I could cut up credit cards on the fly, an awl to either sidewall tires or defend myself with and a boot knife. We kept 2 big floor jacks on the pump block so that when people locked themseves in their cars and refused to move (unless they got gas), we could jack up both ends of the car and wheel it off the island and out into the street.

That year I lead all Chevron USA CA stations with over 150 customer complaints, I am proud to say; I would take some abuse but I was literally not going to be used as a punching bag. I don't think I have ever hated people as a general rule more than I did that year, (and also as a general rule I _like_ people.) I would have 7 or 8 drinks every night just to calm down, and being toasted was about the only way I could get over my anger from that day.

We were the only company to obey the state mandated odd/even plate days. The high point was when a guy came after me and my buddy with a fire ax, and was chopping through a steel fire door to get to us when the cops showed up. Or maybe it was the 75 year old grandmother who shrieked "FU#! YOU! FU#! YOU! " over and over again, or the guy who pumped 15 rounds through the back wall while we were trying to close up, or the guy who crashed his car into the gas pump and wouldn't move it until we gave him all the gas he wanted, or the 1/2 mile long lines, with people fighting other in line, lying, stealing, cutting each other off, pulling tire irons and knives, etc., etc., etc. We had an allocation of 3000 gallons per day, and every night the floor safe would be so full of cash that we couldn't close the lid. We had to keep the pumps padlocked and then unlock them for each transaction, and then lock them again, or people would try and steal the gas, even though you were standing right there.

I hate to say it, but people who are scared and stressed (and some of them not too smart to begin with) are capable of _anything._ ANYTHING!!! That experience along with my particular religious upbringing is the reason my home is (original deleted) very secure, and I spent 12% of my gross income for two years fortifying and arming it and stocking it. Paranoid? You bet your a$$!

I will never place myself or my family at the tender mercies of people with that mindset again. Meanwhile the oil companies are making sympathetic noises, taking concessions with one hand from the Government and making a show of freeing up their reserves, while gouging everyone within a 3000 mile radius because of the unfortunate "shortage."

Buy stock! Oh, and a locking gas cap wouldn't hurt. The Fram ones are good; $22.99 at AutoZone (Advance Auto back east) or Kragen.

Regards,

Norm

By the way, just found this from an HI thread from 6-19-2000:

Avg. Fuel Prices
Orlando, FL 6/19/00

Chevron
Regular: $1.62
Plus: $1.72
Premium: $1.80

When I bought my van in 1998, it was about $.95 for a gallon of gas. I didn't worry about the 20 mpg on the highway.
When I bought my Camry in 2001, gas was about $1.40, and I was getting concerned.
Gas went to $1.85 in Jan., when I traded in the van for a Honda CR/V. I wanted something more fuel efficient, but compromised with my wife - she wanted something bigger. The salesman said that gas could reach $3, and I thought that he was nuts. I didn't think that gas could go over $2.50.
It was $2.60 two days ago.
It went to $2.80 on Sunday in Central Illinois, and $3.00 today.
Wholesale gas futures are running at $2.90.

To quote GW, it took a long time to get like this.

We are fighting in the Middle East, and that puts pressure on prices.
Our Gov't has been looking away as the auto industry lowered fuel economy standards by (the Gov't) exempting "trucks." We now have cars and SUVs that get worse fuel economy on average than they got in 1980. China is sucking up the world's energy supply - the big sucking sound that Ross Perot referred to some time ago....But - the sound is that of China taking our oil.

Our Gov't really should be thinking more about us than about people over "there." .... wherever that is. I am referring to all of those people in DC who are not acting in our best interests, and not one political party.

What a surprise that the oil industry is making a killing on gas.

I may be wrong here, but I think that our government is owned by the oil and medical/drug industries. If they don't own our gov't, then someone does....and it is not the voter. The voter has seen a decline in income over the past 4 years, and these gas prices really hurt.

I drive 400 miles each week commuting to work. It is getting expensive.

Back