Gave away yet more of the Gone Away OKC maker's stuff.

Vell...me the Idjut did it again. Gave away two more OKC knives...

One I never used, and the other that was technically used but never left the sheath in the wilderhood.

Gave away one of my RAT 7s. Since I know my little brother would use it if he doesn't recover his RDs I gave him, I gave him the slightly more robust 1075 steel blade over the 1095. I was going to give away the 1095 blade, but I know my little brother is more of a knife user than I am in the wilderhood. He got the the more slightly durable 1075 as his little one will be with him, I figured the least chipable/breakable one was a better idea. Really I love the feel of the RAT 7, if they ever made it in a full saber grind, I would of gotten more of them. The FFG for the RAT 6 I can live with as it makes most of the S35VN steel it can, and two do well at large critter cutting. (Its not the best blade form, but good enough for a jack of all trades but leaning to slicy thingies jobs.) The RAT 7 is just what I would prefer for doing bushy thingies and the longer blade lets it step WAY up over its weight class. But the RDs I got fill in that role better...and I got enough of them to full fill that category. If my brother can't get his RDs back, guess he gets the LAST ONES I'LL EVER GIVE AWAY, he's the one person I know he will use them. My brother finally understood why you have a CAR KNIFE as well. I know a BK7 would fit that category, but really I have way more knives in this size category, and three BK9s would fill that need if needed.

And the one that I had to think long and hard about for giving him... It's a knife I was going to attempt to try and do mods on to show the world...eh who am I kidding, I'd of mangled it. I was going to use it as a beater knife, and it being a good solid 1095 with no fuller and a full flat spine to the tip with no false edge. The one "Marine" knife that had more in line with a real camp knife. I gave him my 498m. I know it will make a good literal wildlerhood knife, the blade form is great for it as I described above. But since I have WAY MORE than enough knives to fill that role and the 498m wasn't being used sitting in my bucket of blades. I gave it to him, even though I know I'll never get a replacement for it. But I got enough KA-BARs to fill that roll.
For a $30 knife, it was one hell of a value buy, but one old Randall Collector put it in to my head. Knives are one of the oldest tools that are meant to be used. He gave me an early bowie, not knowing much about it at the time besides it was a great knife, I gave it to kid in Alaska as thanks for when he was appointed to keep the green horn from getting killed after they were amazed what the misadventures I survived with superior fire power. (Really I just didn't take in to account the Grizzlies, and well Black Bears are more likely to eat you up there I found, but I learned long ago, ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE LOCALS, saved my life many a time.) Some old guy asked me if I knew what I gave the kid, I told him, if it was what I thought it was, better he get than the old man's relatives who would try and get it back from me when I got back to the lower 49ers. I gave the old man pictures of the kid using the knife a month before he died, and wanted to be buried with one of them pics. And yep his family tried to get the knife back by having some one break in to my car and stole my cheap Chinese SS Bowie. Heard some funny things happened when they tried to auction that one off. And that's one reason I give my surplus knives away. Knives I trust to get people out of "Situations" that might happen. And most told me later of the ones that did help them. And I find its better than PUTTING THEM CAPTIVE UNDER GLASS, oops did I type that out loud? Sort of DO what you Can, When you Can, with What you Can, when you Can. Don't mean you go brokes helping folks, just be sneaky selective if you have to I find works bester for me. :D

Back