Gayle Bradley 2

I’ve been looking for a folder with easy one-hand opening, slim, reasonably light, locking and a clip, in a really tough steel that will take and hold an insanely scary edge. I was thinking something in 52100 -- my favorite high carbon steel, even though it will rust if you look at it wrong. Not that I haven’t already got a bunch of perfectly fine folders in quite a few different flavors, of course, and I need a new knife like I, well, never mind. Anyway, it’s close enough to Christmas (having been really good so far this year), and what with the economy needing a little boost, and since we haven’t been able to travel of late there was a bit of a surplus in the budget… OK, enough excuses. Not to mention run-on sentences.

Spyderco’s sprint run Military with carbon fibre grips and 52100 came pretty close to what I was looking for, although the Military tends to alarm sheeple. But that model is even harder to find than an honest politician and I couldn’t locate one anywhere. Considered Benchmade’s Bugout in 20CV, but I wanted something heftier. Then there was a discussion recently here on Bladeforums on deep hollow grinds and how well they slice and I got to thinking, Gee, Spyderco’s Gayle Bradley 2 sounds like an ideal candidate. Plus I don’t have anything in in CPM-M4, and trying out new steels is part of the fun, as Larrin would no doubt attest.

I’ve read nothing but good reviews about the Gayle Bradley 2. Same for CPM-M4, which according to reports will take a very fine edge like 52100 and hold it longer. M4, according to Larrin’s excellent new book Knife Engineering (get it if you haven’t already) is a high speed tool steel with gobs of molybdenum, tungsten and vanadium, and only 4% chromium so it will take on a patina, but I’ve never had a problem with that. My favorite bricks & mortar shop in Calgary was Sold Out, unfortunately, so I ordered one on-line. Sorry about that.

It arrived five days later, not too shabby considering Canada Post is switching over to dog sleds -- we woke up to snow on Thanksgiving Monday. So there it was, in the gorgeous red and black box with the classy gold Spydie emblem. Opened the bubble wrap, slid out the GB2 and the little packet of desiccant.

First impression: this is probably the most traditional looking Spyderco in their line. The trademark Spyderco hole is a bit smaller and not as prominent as on the Military or PM2. It’s also hollow ground, a departure from the usual Spyderco flat grind.

The carbon fiber scales are both elegant and functional. The handle is nicely contoured but not extreme. Fits the hand like a glove. The four-position clip (positioned for right side, tip up carry, the way I prefer) is firm but not so tight it won’t slip over the pocket seam of my jeans. It leaves about half an inch of handle protruding above the pocket but you can get a deep carry MXG clip from Spyderco. At 4.4 ounces it could qualify for a belt sheath, but I don’t think I’ll bother; it nestles nicely in a jeans pocket against the seam.

Fit and finish, 110%. I don’t know anything about the factory in Taichung, Taiwan where it was made, but I’m impressed, as I have been with all the knives I have from Taiwan – Cold Steel American Lawman and Recon I, for instance. Blade, perfectly centered and perfectly ground. Opens easy with a gentle nudge -- the Spyderco hole is surely one of the most ingenious and practical innovations in knives, simple and effective. If there was a Nobel for knife engineering, Sal would be wearing a medal around his neck. Hair popping sharp, with just a ghost of a burr on the forward curve. No problem, a few light passes on the DMT ultra fine and it was gone. The liner lock clicks soundly into place, no wobble whatsoever. Closing is a bit of a challenge since there is no cut-out for your thumb, but that also means it’s extremely unlikely to disengage under hard use. Feels solid in the hand, not chunky but substantial. The skeletonized liners are thick, though not as thick as on Benchmade’s 710 or Mini-Rukus. No lanyard hole but the rear spacer is located so you could attach a fob to that without contacting the blade.

OK, now for my highly scientific edge testing: I whittled a 2” stick of seasoned pine to shavings in about ten minutes. When I finished it was still shaving sharp. The blade just glides through the wood almost effortlessly. Designer Gayle Bradley is a former BladeSports International competitive cutting champion, and that shows in this knife. There has been some comment that the grip is uncomfortable since the scales are proud -- slightly smaller than the liners -- but I didn’t find that even though my pinkies are, well, pink. The blade has a real bite to it, whether due to the hollow grind, the steel or some other esoteric quality that only Larrin could define. This knife is a worker. I’ll keep it.

Last edited:
I don't have a GB2 (yet) but I love my GB1 for the reasons that you list. Outstanding fit and finish, fantastic blade grind, great steel. Every Spyderco I have from the Taichung factory has been exceptional.

I love my GB1, but based on your review, the GB2 sounds pretty good too!

Last edited:
A Alberta Ed

3 years later… how has your GB2 held up? Still liking it? Ive been carrying mine a good bit recently. Its become my second favorite folder behind the Military and might even be tied for top spot in my pocket!
Not OP, but I've had mine since it came out (also have the GB1) and it's been great. Sharpened about a dozen times, so it's not as thin behind the edge, but it still slices better than most. Lockup moved a hair when it was still new, but it's been the same since. My only criticism is the weak detent, it hasn't changed since I got it, but it was weak from the start, something I've noticed is a trend with recent Spydercos as well. It still flicks out fine, but I can shake it open with minimal effort. Fit and finish is what you'd expect from Taichung, near flawless. My only criticism in that regard is the spydie hole and liner edges are sharp out the box, this is also a recurring theme on Taichung Spydercos. It took me less than a minute to knock the edges out with a ceramic rod but I wish it was something they did in the factory, it's a rather minor spot on a flawlessly made knife. They may have already fixed this, I haven't purchased any Taichung Spydercos in a long while.

Glad they finally addressed that, I've actually cut myself on the liners while trimming dry wall, not deep enough to bleed but still stung a bit. Took me literal seconds to knock the edges down with a bit of sandpaper, I can't imagine the process being any harder on a production line.

Great photo by the way.

Back