GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

Got mine ironwood and sawcut in hand! I can see why folks like this pattern so good as they are very nice little knives but they do not "do it" for me unfortunately:(

I might keep one to see if it grows on me. We'll see. The ironwood on mine is beautiful! i actually like it better then the sawcut which was a surprise

Received the three Northfields today to go along with others from this run, really liking the ironwood...

w8pNHl5.jpg

MartyNC MartyNC Here is a full sunlight pic of the covers. This is truly the most detail visible, I consider it the only bummer about the little Burlap 25 but otherwise I really like the size and design. Just to reiterate though I really think the color combo and satin looks fantastic.
View attachment 750800
Thank you for posting another photo. I do really like the satin bolsters... will have to see how dark or light my burlap is when I get home.

Received the three Northfields today to go along with others from this run, really liking the ironwood...

w8pNHl5.jpg
Wow, 007 you really decided to dive into the 25 pool. Beautiful selection. Now I know where to go when I need one, lol!

Well, it didn't take long to get the first marks on my just arrived 25. Butterfingers! I dropped it off my back porch, blade open onto the rocks below :eek:... thankfully the bolster took the damage and not the blade. IMG_1263.jpg

Well, it didn't take long to get the first marks on my just arrived 25. Butterfingers! I dropped it off my back porch, blade open onto the rocks below :eek:... thankfully the bolster took the damage and not the blade. View attachment 750843

I guess that one will be a user? :D

All kidding aside, I think my heart would stop if that occurred with me...

Well, it didn't take long to get the first marks on my just arrived 25. Butterfingers! I dropped it off my back porch, blade open onto the rocks below :eek:... thankfully the bolster took the damage and not the blade. View attachment 750843
To quote an old joke "that will buff out". Sorry that happened. I open my new knives in surgical conditions because I am so clumsy with something I've not had in hand before.

Nice group there! Even have the elusive Unicorn.
Thank you sir, yes unicorn in the hizzee:thumbsup:
That is one heck of a nice spread!
Thanks Railsplitter, appreciate the nice comments.
Wow, 007 you really decided to dive into the 25 pool. Beautiful selection. Now I know where to go when I need one, lol!
Thanks Alan, I have handful from the 2015 run and now this grouping:thumbsup:. Let me know which one:)
Polished stag comin?
Excellent lineup!:thumbsup:
Thanks sir, yuuup stag on its way:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Holy Mackerel @whateveryourname is? :):) Quite a collection there.
Thanks Alan, appreciate it! It's @Brian here;):)

It's definitely a downer but just gotta roll with it. The first scratch is hardest And now that it's done I can put it to work guilt free.

I'm really impressed with the 25 frame overall though. They just disappear in the pocket but feel substantial enough in the hand to use regularly. Easy to see why so many others have such good things to say about this frame size.

Great photos everyone. Tons of good lookin' knives with this run.

I'm a tad concerned about my Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. The gap seems to have grown a bit since I first got it and the pin is a bit sunken, enough to feel the hole.

mi24xg0.jpg

Is this something that is likely to get worse, or stop and stay the same?

Got my Pioneer Bone today. It's a very nice knife. I just really like this pattern. I was hoping for more of a spackling of the dark layer.

1E2Zt9B.jpg

f7j0P6j.jpg

Just in today. :cool:

zXv6vAZ.jpg

laObhue.jpg

Hey 007 - I like your 009 collection. :thumbsup::cool::D Just these 3 for me right now...

KvHP93n.jpg

These are just what I wish my pioneer bone had been.... basically smooth white bone with some character. It looks great!

So, as I mentioned earlier, I received my #25 in Red Sawcut Bone today. When I put this on reserve, I did so with no small amount of hesitation. Though aesthetically pleasing in all of the pictures I've seen of this pattern, I was somewhat concerned about the size. I was worried that it might end up being too small. However, I figured if for whatever reason it did not suit me, then it would make a fine gift for my wife. Plus, this pattern is undoubtedly popular and I felt I would be doing myself a disservice if I did not, at the very least, give it a try.

With that said, I wanted to get to my initial impressions. New knife days are always great days and today was no exception. I live 5 minutes away from my office so I usually take my lunch breaks at home, plus it gives me the opportunity to take advantage of any exciting new packages that might be waiting for me. After going home, finding the box in my mailbox, and running inside, I promptly opened it up and found the telltale tube inside. I opened it up, unwrapped the knife, and took a few moments to inspect and assess. My first thought was, "My, oh my, isn't this a cute wee nubbin of a knife?", my second thought was more one of dismay, "It is awfully small...."

However, as I did not have a lot of time before I was expecting my better half to arrive, I packaged the knife back up with the intent to bring it to the office with me where I could play with it whilst staring at endless streams of code.

This afternoon found me handling it quite a bit, getting a general feel for it and just plain looking at it. It is undoubtedly a handsome little guy and I found myself not regretting my newest acquisition one bit. It has a heft that belies its small stature and though I still think it a wee bit small for me, I could still see myself putting this knife to work with no issues whatsoever. As is what appears to be the norm with these little guys, the pull is nice and stout, the half stop is nice and crisp, and the general walk and talk, though a bit soft, is not displeasing. A bit of a flush will make it even better, I think.

I've gotten used to the pinchable nature of my recent carries so the fact that this one is not anywhere close to being so has confused my muscle memory in a sense. However, the long pull is easily accessible and I have a stout thumbnail, all is well. I think the spear blade is well executed, it is thin and definitely "slicey" but I do think I would have preferred a sheepfoot blade. A matter of preference really, perhaps on the next run.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase. I think that though I could certainly get to really like this knife, I am still going to make a gift of it to my wife. I am putting together a nice anniversary package and I think the knife with one of my own handmade knife slips will make a nice addition to it. Though she will probably like the other stuff more, she enjoys when I make some attempt to include her in my hobbies. Or at least, I like to tell myself that :D. We celebrate our 13th anniversary on the 21st, same day as this blasted eclipse that we are going get hammered with...

Anyway, no knife review, big or small, is worth its salt unless there are pictures! Enjoy!

QxiuS4u.jpg

3Chr8i3.jpg

3OmFgrR.jpg

Er57PS7.jpg

vM6TRRR.jpg

Back