GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

wow... the color on that is stunning! Pile and mark side match? GEC does such a great job with bloodwood.
Yes, my covers match very well. This is my first knife with bloodwood, it is very attractive, how does it age with use? Will it oxidize and darken? My cocobolo 78 is so dark that people ask me how I got a Tidioute with ebony covers.;)

Yes, my covers match very well. This is my first knife with bloodwood, it is very attractive, how does it age with use? Will it oxidize and darken? ...

Nice carvings Jiki!!! If I send you mine can you sharpen it and make it carve for me like yours does for you? ;)

According to Wood Data Base bloodwood, "Color can darken to a darker brownish red over time with exposure to light. Applying a thick protective finish, and keeping the wood out of direct sunlight can help slow this color shift."
I'm good with ageing and delighted to have this wonderful English Whittler.

qLXN85y.jpg

sparerow

Yes, my covers match very well. This is my first knife with bloodwood, it is very attractive, how does it age with use? Will it oxidize and darken? My cocobolo 78 is so dark that people ask me how I got a Tidioute with ebony covers.;)

In general, finishing exotic woods to stabilize their color tends to be a challenge. In the case of some woods, like purple heart (and possibly your knives!), the oxidizing is actually desirable. My experience with bloodwood is that it starts an orangey to true red and over the course of a years stabilizes to tawny to dark red. I wouldn't expect anything near as dramatic as what I've seen in some cocobolo cases (like your 78), and I believe the change will suit the knives as the blades patina. I love how they look new, but if you ask me these things should ideally look like they've been used for a couple hundred years.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous about bloodwood is that it's very dense stuff, but tends to be a little more brittle. Have you ever had your knife in your pocket and accidently bonked it against the kitchen counter? I think mine (when it gets here!) will live in a thick leather pocket slip just to protect the wood from my clumsiness. These knives are going to be treasures.

Wow all beautiful knife guys and gals. Jiki, I have two bloodwoods, one a 68 stockman and the other is Barry's SFO Caplifter. I don't carry the caplifter often enough but my 68 is quite dark from carry and use. It still has this cool iridescence to it, kind of a gold flake thing that I find to be pretty darn cool;):)

Thank you everyone with the info. I agree, Dan, as these age a rich red brown will be nice, especially if they maintain a bit of the iridescence as paulhilborn paulhilborn has experienced.

The best part though is the journey from tube to aged ;).

I would love to see that 78. I have heard that with antique knives distinguishing Ebony and cocobolo can be really tough.

A nuance that not many will know ;). I like I because of what Dan referred to earlier, it has the appearance of a much older knife while being only 4 years old.
I’m staring at knife pictures too often :)
I do like the older look, too.

I’m staring at knife pictures too often

what's it like to be the first person on Blade forums to admit this?

Just got a English Whittler Bloodwood off DLT Trading. Came available and I got lucky enough to get one!

Huh, really? Congrats! I figured I'd missed the whole drop when they first showed up. I wonder what happened there?
At any rate, I'm glad you were able to peg one down!

what's it like to be the first person on Blade forums to admit this?

Huh, really? Congrats! I figured I'd missed the whole drop when they first showed up. I wonder what happened there?
At any rate, I'm glad you were able to peg one down!
:D;)

Nice work there!
Waiting on them to get back in stock and I’ll try to snag one before they’re gone again
G2

Back