GEC American Jack vs Buffalo Jack

Onebigbill

Gold Member
Hi all. New to this forum. Been carrying a pocket knife all my life and decided I want to get with an American Jack or Buffalo Jack by GEC. I like both but I can have only one. Any opinions out there as to preferences?

I have several of each, and have mixed opinions. Basically, I prefer the size and action of the #78 American Jack, but favor the clip main of the #44 Buffalo Jack. Best of both worlds is the first issue of the #78 from 2014 with the clip main, but they're hard to find.

YJUNgva.jpg

pujrKkE.jpg

mtxWdfY.jpg

I have several of each, and have mixed opinions. Basically, I prefer the size and action of the #78 American Jack, but favor the clip main of the #44 Buffalo Jack. Best of both worlds is the first issue of the #78 from 2014 with the clip main, but they're hard to find.

YJUNgva.jpg

pujrKkE.jpg

mtxWdfY.jpg

^^^

Great examples up there.

I’ve had both, but only the single blade 78 American jack. I love that frame and blade. Great walk and talk on the few I’ve had.

The 44 i feel is very under-appreciated. The Cocobolo covers are beautiful- and I’ve seen 2 for sale recently for cheaper than the selling price.
The only thing I didn’t care for with the 44 was it was kinda hard for me to open. The secondary got in the way of the main blade a bit for me. And the pull was not heavy but defiantly not a walk in the park- id say a 7. To be honest I’d love it in a single blade with that big clip blade.

IXen4EX.jpg

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with either, and it would essentially come down to whether you prefer spear or clip main blade.

If I had to choose one I'd go for the clip/pen 44.

I love my 44 as well. As stated earlier in this thread the 44 is in my opinion very underated! I love the clip and the secondary pen blade is large! Just a really pocket friendly knife. I highly recommend it.

Both are great.
The #78 has some of the smoothest pulls I've ever felt but the #44 action is super crisp and snappy, kind of a tie for me.
I like the clip main on the #44 better than the spear main on the #78, personal preference.
I like the size of the #44 better than the size of the #78, personal preference but not a huge difference.
I like the round bolsters and end caps of the #78 better the the square ones on the #44, personal preference.
All added up, I think I prefer the #78 with the delightful action and the round end caps. I could never get used to the #44's square end caps digging into my palm when I open it and used it. The #44 eventually went down the road.

44 for sure. Ebony is my favorite but i bought a stag version just to have. I have two 78s too...The American jack is a great knife too but I almost like the single blade more than the double...access to the nick is a pain imo with the secondary. Both have really nice substantial pen blades but 44 to me is so much nicer to look at and easier to leverage the main.

I think the 44 might actually be my favorite gec.

The 44 has pretty much the same blade length as the 78 in a slightly smaller frame. The packed a nice blade length in that 44 frame. Makes knives with lower blade:handle ratio feel like they cheated me by not filling the blade well with steel.

We like pics right?
MBvFrmd.jpg

You're probably going to find a better deal on the 44, as a ton are still available at dealers and they sell for less than cost on the secondary market. As far as in-hand experience, I've only had one 44, and a bunch of 78s. The pull weights on the 78s ranged from a 5 to a strong 7. The 44 was a strong 7, and I hear that's pretty consistent. I kinda want another 44 in Tidioute trim (wasn't in love with the NF/brass). The blade length on that thing achieves probably the best blade-to-handle ratio that GEC has ever pulled off, whereas in contrast the 78 is kind of a slouch. The 78 handle might be the most comfy I've handled, though, and it's a classic, more recognizable as a "standard pocketknife", so I guess it depends on what you want. I prefer a clip main and a straight edge secondary, and while that assortment of blades isn't available on either of these knives, the pen blade is pretty close.

All of that said, I just love a 78 in hand more than I did the 44.

A single bladed 44 would really hit the sweet spot for me...I think I see one on that Unicorn off in the distance :rolleyes:

Back