1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC American Jack vs Buffalo Jack

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Onebigbill, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Hi all. New to this forum. Been carrying a pocket knife all my life and decided I want to get with an American Jack or Buffalo Jack by GEC. I like both but I can have only one. Any opinions out there as to preferences?

2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I have several of each, and have mixed opinions. Basically, I prefer the size and action of the #78 American Jack, but favor the clip main of the #44 Buffalo Jack. Best of both worlds is the first issue of the #78 from 2014 with the clip main, but they're hard to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018

^^^

Great examples up there.

I’ve had both, but only the single blade 78 American jack. I love that frame and blade. Great walk and talk on the few I’ve had.

The 44 i feel is very under-appreciated. The Cocobolo covers are beautiful- and I’ve seen 2 for sale recently for cheaper than the selling price.
    The only thing I didn’t care for with the 44 was it was kinda hard for me to open. The secondary got in the way of the main blade a bit for me. And the pull was not heavy but defiantly not a walk in the park- id say a 7. To be honest I’d love it in a single blade with that big clip blade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. HotGuts

HotGuts

Apr 1, 2016
    You really can't go wrong with either, and it would essentially come down to whether you prefer spear or clip main blade.

If I had to choose one I'd go for the clip/pen 44.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  5. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I agree, the 44 is underappreciated. I think it's one of the better recent knives from GEC.

The blades on the 44 are the same as the older 78's.

6. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I like the 44 better. It's a much better looking knife than a standard jack like the 78.

7. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I love my 44 as well. As stated earlier in this thread the 44 is in my opinion very underated! I love the clip and the secondary pen blade is large! Just a really pocket friendly knife. I highly recommend it.

Pinemoon and Misplaced Hillbilly like this.
  8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Both are great.
    The #78 has some of the smoothest pulls I've ever felt but the #44 action is super crisp and snappy, kind of a tie for me.
    I like the clip main on the #44 better than the spear main on the #78, personal preference.
    I like the size of the #44 better than the size of the #78, personal preference but not a huge difference.
    I like the round bolsters and end caps of the #78 better the the square ones on the #44, personal preference.
    All added up, I think I prefer the #78 with the delightful action and the round end caps. I could never get used to the #44's square end caps digging into my palm when I open it and used it. The #44 eventually went down the road.

9. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    44 for sure. Ebony is my favorite but i bought a stag version just to have. I have two 78s too...The American jack is a great knife too but I almost like the single blade more than the double...access to the nick is a pain imo with the secondary. Both have really nice substantial pen blades but 44 to me is so much nicer to look at and easier to leverage the main.

I think the 44 might actually be my favorite gec.

10. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2012
    I really like my 44 cocobolo. Do not have a 78. I like clip blades more than spear point. Drop point blades are good too.

11. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Older 78s and 44s

[​IMG]

12. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    One thing I like about both patterns is that the nail nicks are on the same side. Other people find it too fiddly, but I prefer it. Both are great, and readily available.

Misplaced Hillbilly and JohnDF like this.
  13. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2012
    The 44 has pretty much the same blade length as the 78 in a slightly smaller frame. The packed a nice blade length in that 44 frame. Makes knives with lower blade:handle ratio feel like they cheated me by not filling the blade well with steel.

We like pics right?
    [​IMG]

14. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    You're probably going to find a better deal on the 44, as a ton are still available at dealers and they sell for less than cost on the secondary market. As far as in-hand experience, I've only had one 44, and a bunch of 78s. The pull weights on the 78s ranged from a 5 to a strong 7. The 44 was a strong 7, and I hear that's pretty consistent. I kinda want another 44 in Tidioute trim (wasn't in love with the NF/brass). The blade length on that thing achieves probably the best blade-to-handle ratio that GEC has ever pulled off, whereas in contrast the 78 is kind of a slouch. The 78 handle might be the most comfy I've handled, though, and it's a classic, more recognizable as a "standard pocketknife", so I guess it depends on what you want. I prefer a clip main and a straight edge secondary, and while that assortment of blades isn't available on either of these knives, the pen blade is pretty close.

All of that said, I just love a 78 in hand more than I did the 44.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  15. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    A single bladed 44 would really hit the sweet spot for me...I think I see one on that Unicorn off in the distance :rolleyes:

16. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    There's a mod man who does them, although I haven't seen them posted here, just on FB. Maybe @Jfowl31 did one, too?

17. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks, message sent to Jfowl31...