GEC bone dye

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this happening.

I know GEC has had issues in the past with bone taking dye, but I wouldn't expect one to bleed like this. I picked up this 77 in last years run for a EDC around the office. I took it out of the leather slip it normally lives in and put it on the cloth bag for three days after freshening up the edge. When I picked it up I noticed the two red streaks where the dye has bled out. I haven't had any other knives do this and hope it not indicative of GEC.

O9pPSEr.jpg

I haven't experienced that on the several GEC knives that I have. I wouldn't recommend storing the knife in a leather slip though, as I've seen corrosion on an unused LB7's brass that was kept in it's sheath since new. Will it have an affect on the bone dye? Not sure.

what was previously in the bag? Perhaps there was a trace amount of some solvent or oil?

I had the dye bleed off on my fingers from my waynorth lambfoot knife quite a few times after using it as a worry stone during my previously long commutes.

I haven't experienced that on the several GEC knives that I have. I wouldn't recommend storing the knife in a leather slip though, as I've seen corrosion on an unused LB7's brass that was kept in it's sheath since new. Will it have an affect on the bone dye? Not sure.
I have often seen brass corrosion from leather contact. On rifle slings and knife sheaths. Not sure why and I could only speculate. o_O

I've had some Case Red Bone bleed on me... maybe it's the red color?

When the slabs of handle material are dyed they are dyed as raw pieces. Then the knife is assembled and the edges are rounded, so the dye is always thinner in those spots. May have something to do with the fact that the color difference is more visible. But I’d wager it’s bleeding everywhere, not specifically at the corners.

It is never in the slip all that long, overnight at the longest. The 77 doesn't have any brass. The nickel tarnishes some from being in the slip but nothing to worry about.

what was previously in the bag? Perhaps there was a trace amount of some solvent or oil?
It was the bag the slip came in. I don't see the knife coming on contact with anything on the bag that it wouldn't have while in the slip.

I've had some Case Red Bone bleed on me... maybe it's the red color?
It could be. I did have my 43 next to it, but its a frontier bone so no color to bleed out of it.

Always need to be cautious with leather, it can contain dyes, solvents or other chemicals that do react with other dyes. Is that Barlow Sawcut? If so, the smoother edges may not take dye so well? Never had any dye bleed problems with any of my GECs, but a couple of Queens, an RR and a Custom:eek:

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this happening.

I know GEC has had issues in the past with bone taking dye, but I wouldn't expect one to bleed like this. I picked up this 77 in last years run for a EDC around the office. I took it out of the leather slip it normally lives in and put it on the cloth bag for three days after freshening up the edge. When I picked it up I noticed the two red streaks where the dye has bled out. I haven't had any other knives do this and hope it not indicative of GEC.

Generally a leather slip that is vegetable tanned instead of harsh chemicals will never be a problem for a knife. What color / maker is the slip? What "bag" did the knife come in? Are you certain the bag was completely dry when you put the knife in it? (I have left a little cleaner on bone before and it caused some dye to loosen)

Generally a leather slip that is vegetable tanned instead of harsh chemicals will never be a problem for a knife. What color / maker is the slip? What "bag" did the knife come in? Are you certain the bag was completely dry when you put the knife in it? (I have left a little cleaner on bone before and it caused some dye to loosen)
It’s a brown (not sure the color name) Hitch & Timber. The knife didn’t come in a bag, the bag is the one the slip came in. Both the knife and bag were dry when I sat it down. There is no oil or discoloration on the H&T bag others than where the knife bled. I only use mineral oil on my knives and sharpen them on ceramic so no oil used there. I haven’t oiled the blade since after I got it. I’m trying to get a good natural patina on the blade.

It’s a brown (not sure the color name) Hitch & Timber. The knife didn’t come in a bag, the bag is the one the slip came in. Both the knife and bag were dry when I sat it down. There is no oil or discoloration on the H&T bag others than where the knife bled. I only use mineral oil on my knives and sharpen them on ceramic so no oil used there. I haven’t oiled the blade since after I got it. I’m trying to get a good natural patina on the blade.

Did you buy it second hand or directly?

That is the first time I have seen one transfer dye. Can't help but think there is something going on there - but can't put my finger on it.

It would have to be wet to transfer dye I would think or if you rubbed or polished it with the bag it could transfer.

Back