Geez, I wish my stocks appreciated like Busses!

contender

I started a thread over on the General Discussion forum of Bladeforums and was surprised by the response I got. The thread had to do with "Knives that Appreciate in Value" and one of the stories was particularly interesting.

Chip talked about a Busse Variant that he bought about one year ago that has appreciated over a thousand dollars!! In addition many others talked about how Variants and older Busses have appreciated as well.

I have always said when you buy a car it is not how much it cost to initially purchase, but how much the difference is when you go to sell it that is the true cost. A car that may cost $50K to buy seems expensive, but if you sell it for $40K three or four years later your actual cost was relatively inexpensive.

Busses are the same way. I know of no other knife maker whose knives are as easy to buy (for instance it is hard to even find Ken Onions stuff) yet hold their value or appreciate as much. That is especially true when you think that you can even use a Busse hard and not worry about hurting its value!! Who else can say that !!

Anyway, sorry about the length of this post. Here is the link to the thread over in the General Discussion area:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194467

For me, the most amazing things about the appreciation of Busse knives is the consistency of the appreciation and the speed at which they appreciate.

Of course, don't expect regular models to appreciate for no reason, but they still hold their value very well, even when used hard.

Special runs, variants, special items, and discontinued models just go up and up and up :D .

Look at the straight handled knives. BM's that used to go for $350 now go for $600+! Same kind of appreciation with the other SH models, too. Now the ZT's, already going up, and it hasn't been at all long since they were discontinued. The basics aswell will go up, if they already haven't.

OK, I'm done ;)

You're right. It's nice to buy knives that out perform anything on the market, but it's also nice to buy collection pieces that consistently appreciate in value :)

Even as Andrew was talking about the Mistresses going up around $600 I'm almost on the virge of saying that line can be raised to about $700 from recent collector's traffic on the forums.

Good Post, it was great to see all the responses from around the forums :)

Originally posted by contender
... Busses are the same way. I know of no other knife maker whose knives are as easy to buy...

Who are you kidding?

Every time Jerry thinks about posting about a new variant or other cool INFI toys, 1wb smells him sitting down at the keyboard and starts his speed-dialer. ;) :D

I don't know what that fella does for a living, but I'm too often caught between funds every time a tasty tidbit comes up. It's damn depressing sometimes... :(

DonL,
It seems pretty obvious to me that 1WB's buys Busse's for a living and works just to pass the time in between shows!!!

'course I've never actually seen him list a Busse for sale. Maybe we should start calling him "1whoisblackhole" or how 'bout "INFImagnate";)

I've got to stop buying so many Busses only to use each one a little bit. They are tough, tough knives so I should just save them all for appreciation/collector value and just concentrate all the use on my Natural Outlaw/E.

Except, of course, for alittle outing here and there with the SJ, oh, oh and the Basic #7 ... and the #5 ... and the #3 for deer and ...

here we go again!!!:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DonL
I'm too often caught between funds every time a tasty tidbit comes up.
Don, I know that feeling all too well. But sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.

I'm currently unemployed due to my contract terminating a couple of weeks ago. Nonetheless I still ordered one of this latest batch of Busse variants. That's no small commitment and causes serious fearful shakes when I think about how far out it extends my immediate financial resources. I'll probably have to let go some of my steel darlings, which really hurts (and maybe camp out at the plasma center too ;)) to get my situation put back together. But if that's what it takes, so be it.

However, getting this knife is not about money. I'm naive enough to believe that knives are not investments but are rather one of those fundamental tools most deeply rooted in the human psyche - one of those objects from a forgotten past that speak to us not in words but in elemental sounds which touch us not on the ear but in the gut and along the nerves of our being. I got the knife not because I think it'll be worth more later, but because it's as close to my definition of the perfect fighting knife I believe I've ever seen. This one held me from the first glance. When the siren sings, there's no other response than to answer, even at your own peril, if you are to continue to call your existence a life. That's a risk I'm willing to take and to pay for in pain to keep the feeling of being alive, of being connected to my own life through the heft and balance of the tools I take into my hands. And those sirens sing about many more things than just knives or tools. If we but had the ears to hear them, we would discover we are surrounded by them always. The first handling of certain knives sings with a correctness and makes lucid the entire moment. These are the shining moments in a knife knut's life. These moments are the strongest motivators that keep me coming back.

Holy S***, that got a lot more metaphysical than I intended. Sorry. On the other hand, I got my RokJok handle from my glory days of rock & ice climbing, so maybe I just get a kick out of pushing the limits and stretching the envelope. But I still believe what I said above.

<edited for grammar & clarity.>

Rokjok-

Thanks for that very eloquent explanation. Being a desk jockey, I really have little (true) use for my knives. Yes I dive and fish ocassionally but the most typical use for my knives is opening envelopes; if there were ever a good description for the term, "overkill", opening an envelope (even a manila folder) with a Busse would certainly be one.

But what you did rather eloquently in my opinion is explain why we are all "knifenuts". Perhaps it is something primeval (sp?) about them, perhaps it is something that we will never fully understand.

Good luck finding new work my friend, and it was nice talking to you the other day!

Marc

Contender,been tryin to get ya via e-mail with no success,please e-mail me about the SJ variant,thanks

Back