Gen 6 XM-18: Flip or Flop?

I’m looking to buy a Gen 6 XM-18 3.5” and the few reviews that I’ve seen on YouTube have nothing but good things to say regarding the flipping action (on bearings). But... I’ve heard mixed reviews here and someone recently mentioned that even when using the bearings it didn’t flip very well. My thought was that with the new Tri-Way Pivot System that would remedy the poor action? Will someone with personal experience please chime in. Thank you

Last edited:
I only have experience with one and I would say flipping action is good but not great. On par with my better ZTs, not at the level of my Shiro. The detent isn't quite stiff enough to make it rocket open effortlessly but it does fall shut with a (very little) shake.

I have a couple of hinderers (Xm-18 3.5 and eklipse) and both flip very well with PB washers. I've havent had a chance to use a gen 6 with triway, but I doubt bearings make it worse. Honestly I prefer not to use bearings on my hard use folders because less moving parts for dirt to get in... Good lubricant and pivot settings go a long way.

I have a gen 5 on pb washers that flips incredibly well with no blade play and a gen 6 running bearings that is smooth as glass with zero play and deploys very fast. Both setups are perfectly acceptable to me, they've always deployed and locked with a press of the flipper. I'm happy and I'm sure you would be too should you decide to purchase one.

I haven’t seen anything but praise for the newest generation of Hinderer. The action on my Xm 3” is great and its definitely similar Zt in that regard. If you wish to purchase a Hinderer, I suggest that you call Dlt trading or USA made blade. They will work with you and pick you one with the action you desire.

I bought a Gen 6 that had smooth opening. And somewhat snappier flipping than my four previous gen XMs.

But closing mine was not so good: It frequently snagged and was so difficult to close I sometimes needed both hands.

The dealer said he was unable to replicate the problem. But my thumb was sore for days.

My experience left me cautious about recommending a Gen 6 -- but also wanting one without issues.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the new Gen 6; a 3.5” Sheepsfoot and a 3.5” Skinny Slicer. Both open very reliably with the flipper, but the detent on the slicer is very crisp, whereas the sheepsfoot still fires well and doesn’t require preloading the flipper, but isn’t quite as crisp. I’ve also owned a Gen 5 Sheepsfoot and a Gen 4 Slicer and I feel like the detent of the Gen 5 and 6 are noticeably better than the Gen 4s and earlier (have handled a Gen 3 which flipped like crap).

All the Hinderer’s I’ve owned have closed smoothly, and both of my Gen 6s absolutely fall shut, so it sounds like you had a lemon. It happens with anything; as long as the dealer makes it right that’s what counts.

For me they're a flop. I like the Gen 4 the best. It is what i want in a knife like a hinderer. They're more simple and less is more in a hard use knife. I couldnt care less about the “action.” That is what my Shiros are for.

Last edited:
I've owned Gen 4s, 5s, and 6s and I haven't had an issue with flipping on the washers or bearings. Hinderer is really dialing in their knives these days. I've bought from DLT with success (never a Hinderer) and my Hinderers from USA Made Blade. Both are excellent - I can't recommend Whitty enough. His after service care is excellent.

I've inspected 40+ Gen 6s before shipping for customers who requested, I've been very impressed with consistently good action on the Gen 6s. You have to deliberately try to make it not flip open completely, its definitely on par or better with most if not all ZTs i've handled. If you order through us I'd be happy to check it before shipping, just leave a note in the order comments section.

I've inspected 40+ Gen 6s before shipping for customers who requested, I've been very impressed with consistently good action on the Gen 6s. You have to deliberately try to make it not flip open completely, its definitely on par or better with most if not all ZTs i've handled. If you order through us I'd be happy to check it before shipping, just leave a note in the order comments section.
That is very reassuring. I am looking for a 3.5” black wharncliffe/OD green G-10. Please let me know when you have one in stock and I will place my order with you. Thank you:thumbsup:

With the two I owned, the detent wasn't consistent, or what I'd call good with either knife. They barely flipped when you installed bearings, but still wouldn't open well, and required conscious effort to open properly. They would not flip well with bronze washers. They are the worst opening flippers I've owned so far.

They were about comparable to the Gen 4, which makes sense because I've never seen any confirmation from RHK that they actually changed anything in their detent over the years. I've also seen some issues with lockbar rock on the Gen 6, where you can feel and see the lockbar flex when you put pressure on the thumb studs or flipper tab before the detent breaks. This wasn't something I noticed with my Gen 4. It drives me crazy to see the lockbar on my new gen 6 wobble around when the knife is closed.

I was very unimpressed, especially for $425. I should have returned the second one like I did the first, but I ended up convexing/anodizing/ruining it as a beater project. Won't make that mistake again.

Mine has a very easy and pleasant flipping action with the bearings.
It’s one of my favorite flippers next to my Reate K2.

I’ve been very happy with my gen 6 knives. They all flick open with ease and drop shut when the lock is released. That being said, I’m not going to sell off any of my gen 4s or 5s just to get the knives on bearings. All of mine I am happy with.

My gen 6 3 inch Hinderer flips reliably but doesn't flip as well as some of my ZTs. I am still really impressed overall with the knife as my first Hinderer and plan to get a 3.5 model in the future.

Time to necro this thread after so many have had real time with the knives. I recently purchased a gen 6 XM-18 3" and had mixed feelings about it. After some time spent it has really become something special.

What does everyone else think after several months/almost a year with the gen 6?

I’ve got two Gen 6’s and they flip amazingly well. I wouldn’t worry about it. The detents on both are strong and the blades fly out on bearings, PB washers, and Teflon. I have tried all three in both and had no issues with any of them. I prefer the bearings myself, and the bearings are not cheap looking small bearings like I have seen in other knives. I’d buy one with confidence and definitely from DLT. They are my go to dealer.

Back