gene ingram & charles may

Just wondering if these two were somehow related... similar work, and almost identical web sites... anyone know whats the deal with these two makers?

I've wondered the same too. I posted about it once and nobody knew.

Google map their addresses, they live minutes from each other.

Obviously they live close to each other. They probably know each other and one learned from the other or they each learned from each other. Write them and ask them. Gene is very good about getting back to people. Not a man that wastes words but I'm sure he'll tell you what you want to know.

STR

From what I've read, Charles May learned knifemaking under the instruction of Gene Ingram.
Scott

I really like these makers. Although I do not own any of their knives as of yet, I'm working on fixing that! I have emailed both makers with questions about their knives, and they got back to me within 1-2 days. Very nice guys. By the way, I am looking to buy small fixed blades from eiher of these guys, if anyone has a May fireant or Ingram "pocket" series, Im looking...:)

Gene just sent me "THE" e-mail. Shipping my Elephant Toenail today!!!! :D
This will be my first knife from Gene.......can't wait:cool:

Chris D. :D

I've got a couple #2s on order with Gene due in early October. One with sambar stag and the other with weathered elk bone.

bladefan said:
Just wondering if these two were somehow related... similar work, and almost identical web sites... anyone know whats the deal with these two makers?

Both of these gentlemen have web sites on Blademakers.com and both are from Northeast Mississippi.

Gene is from Starkville, MS and Charles is from Strong, MS which is jist north of Starksville off of Hwy 45 Alternate. Charles lives back off the road a ways. Both are great guys and make good knives. I have a Gene Ingram O-1 piece fashioned like a Green River skinner. I also have two Charles May knives on order.

David Winston is also from Starkville and another Northeast Mississippi maker getting some photo recognition recently in Blade and Knives Illustrated is J. P. Jones from Ripley, Mississippi. I have a six inch fighter of his that was so nice and balanced I couldn't resist buying from him.

I have several of Gene's knives and more on the way. His craftsmanship is excellent and prices are very reasonable. His kydex sheaths are as good as any I've owned.

charles and gene are good friends, charles is a gunsmith by trade known for his caliber conversions on ruger blackhawks, when he was getting into knifemaking gene got him started with good advice..

I have a bunch of small fixed blade knives, but the one that always seems to be on my hip, or that I reach for is a Gene Ingram.

It's small, sharp and thin. It's not going to pry anything open, but if you want to cut something it'll work.

I had him make it in A2 tool steel.

I like Gene's knives a lot. Great bang for the buck and a sharp edge. And Gene's a great guy.

Back