General observation

You mean that you can get the Hep from a kitchen magician?! :eek:
Exactly. I've been avidly against that sort of tattoo since I got heavy into tattoos about 2 years ago.

Just followed you on Instagram too. Stuff looks pretty damn good for how long you've been doing it. Keep it up.

As far as knives go, I'd say start with some of the cheaper staples that have been mentioned so far. The Ontario Rat 2. Most Kershaws are solid, but the Link, Dividend, Leek, and Blur are some of the top ones. Buck seems pretty solid overall. And my personal recommendation is to go to bladehq.com and check out CIVIVI. It's a budget line from one of the really high end Chinese companies.

Welcome Mr.Bluejay, Whatever your knife taste is you have come to the right place. I recently started here looking for good $20 to $50 dollar knives for work and researching some old knives I got from my farther who passed. I have learned a lot in a short time and the process doesn't seem to be slowing down. If you need to know something then just ask because this place is a wealth of information coming from all types, Blue collar stiffs like me, White collar, no collar, Servicemen, cowboys, craftsmen, and now at least one tattoo artist. I suggest that you read the stickies at the top of the General Discussions page and bounce around the board to find the niche that fits you and have fun. BTW I got some info for you. I read your breakdown on Tattoo expenses and I think I have a good lead for you on A _ azon, Hope it helps.
PFCdKJw.jpg
It's everything you need and a box the put it in so you can spend all that extra money on some good steel :D:thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Knives are no different than watches, flashlights, guns, bows, cars, etc. A Timex will tell time just as good as a watch worth 100 times more. Simply, it's all about what you want to spend on what you think will be the most bang-for-the-buck for you. Welcome to the forum by the way...

Exactly. I've been avidly against that sort of tattoo since I got heavy into tattoos about 2 years ago.

Just followed you on Instagram too. Stuff looks pretty damn good for how long you've been doing it. Keep it up.

As far as knives go, I'd say start with some of the cheaper staples that have been mentioned so far. The Ontario Rat 2. Most Kershaws are solid, but the Link, Dividend, Leek, and Blur are some of the top ones. Buck seems pretty solid overall. And my personal recommendation is to go to bladehq.com and check out CIVIVI. It's a budget line from one of the really high end Chinese companies.
Greatly appreciate the compliment!!

Tattooing outside of a shop is one thing if the artist is knowledgeable of cross contamination and whatnot. Artists do it all of the time, but they also have the proper equipment to do it safely.

I will look those up and return the follow once I get settled in.

Welcome Mr.Bluejay, Whatever your knife taste is you have come to the right place. I recently started here looking for good $20 to $50 dollar knives for work and researching some old knives I got from my farther who passed. I have learned a lot in a short time and the process doesn't seem to be slowing down. If you need to know something then just ask because this place is a wealth of information coming from all types, Blue collar stiffs like me, White collar, no collar, Servicemen, cowboys, craftsmen, and now at least one tattoo artist. I suggest that you read the stickies at the top of the General Discussions page and bounce around the board to find the niche that fits you and have fun. BTW I got some info for you. I read your breakdown on Tattoo expenses and I think I have a good lead for you on A _ azon, Hope it helps.
PFCdKJw.jpg
It's everything you need and a box the put it in so you can spend all that extra money on some good steel :D:thumbsup:.
Hahaha, I will stick with my custom builds for now. Invested too much to retire them this early on. ;)

Knives are like just about any other hobby in that you can spend as little or as much as you want.

After a certain point, there are diminishing returns in the knife world. Spending more doesn't always result in a better knife.

More than ever before there are fantastic, high quality knives in virtually every price range. If you look around, there are still great deals to be had in factory and custom knives.

Honestly, there is a huge problem with faux "knife makers" becoming "Instagram Famous" and charging absurd prices. Many don't even make the knives they sell.

This is largely due to the silly internet "Bro" culture that rewards people who don't know any better for owning the latest trinkets.

My hipster yuppie ADD has made me collect many things over the years from Guitars, Watches, and even vintage 80's BMX Bikes. Maybe it's where I live but knives has to be the #1 easy thing to get into to collect. That is if you have an open mind.

Let me explain...

Guitars have always been hard to find and expensive to collect. When you actually find a good one well you better have a deep wallet. As I haven't heard any story's of someone finding Grandpa's Gibson at a garage sale in the last 20 years.

Watches...When I was a kid you could go to any garage sale and find a old mechanical watch for only a few bucks. I don't know if the generation of people that bought wind up watches have died off or they have learned to use the internet, but every year it gets harder and harder to find. Not only that the prices have gone CRAZY!

BMX bikes...You have no idea how hard it is to find a 80's BMX bike these days. They made millions of them and I think the majority must have ended up in the trash. I've been checking CL and KIJIJI every day for over a year and haven't found one that's affordable.

TL;DR

This is why knives are so awesome to collect. You can go to any antique store or pawnshop and if you have an open mind find something cool. It's almost as if there's too many knives out there to collect! You can spend very little money and walk away with something amazing you can treasure for the rest of your life. You just need to educate yourself what to look for.

Also it's not hipsters but the internet that's making the prices go crazy OP

some of those buck and such knives grandpa and pa gave ya are collectible to buck collectors. most buck collectors are working type fellas who just like cutlery. also most of them are on the older age range. not all though.....

can an older fella be trendy or a hipster or is there an age cutoff?:)

welcome to the forum. so many choices nowadays. it's a golden age of cutlery for users and collectors. Good times for us all.

Had another couple o' thoughts, Crow. Since you're in Atlanta.....
Blade Show comes to town June 7-9 this year.
Going Gear in Smyrna has a good selection of folders.
I just learned of a B&M knife store in Cumming that I hadn't known of before. Olde Towne Cutlery. Never been, don't know nothing. But I'd like to check it out.
Fiddleback Forge and Cumming Bladeworks (same place, I suspect) are in Cumming. Medium sized shop, turning out some nice stuff. Open house from time to time.
Let me know when you're going. Might meet you there.

Every sub-culture is the same.

Whether you collect resellable things:
knives, guns, watches, cars, home theatres, baseball hats, tennis shoes, cameras, binoculars, modern art, sculptures, etc

Whether you collect body modifications:
Tattoos, Platic Surgery, Hair Implants, Scarification, Branding, Muscles, etc

Some people collect experiences looking at stuff other people made or do: watching sports, going to museums, going to art shows, going to car shows, going to gun shows, going tonknife shows, etc

Some people collect experiences by actually doing the thing themself: Travel, Playing Sports, riding bikes, riding motorcycles, walking with people in groups, running in events, running with people, etc

Some people collect knowledge and use it to make things they can sell or pass Woden to others: Woodworking, Remodeling, wood turning, sculpting, painting, drawing, etc.

What we have now is people more WILING to spend the money HAVING something verses USING something.

With technology we are able to leverage the machine to make things faster in a repetitive manner and a accuracy or duplication. We are able to communicate faster, but not necessarily doing it “better”

There is a natural curve to the lifecycle of things, our life, experiences, etc.

I have a mom that loves watching football and news amd likes cooking from scratch. She doesn’t like movies or tv shows or fast food,

One brother loves getting tattoos, buying new guns and knives using them, and selling them and getting something new all the time.

Another brother liked exercising all time, collecting things, but not actually using them. Saving them in case they went up in value.

I like buying something and using it. And keeping it for a long time. I don’t watch sports and only care to watch people i know do something. I like learning how to do things myself.

In my own case I chased better and better photography equipment until i realized what i wanted was better photos. So I settled on the lens and camera I wanted and learned how to use it and sold some photos to eventually pay for the hobby.

With owning a knife, gun I haven’t figured out how to make that hobby pay for itself. I’m not willing to commit the large capital outlaw for a true custom knife and then sell it for more.

There really isn’t a right or wrong to your question other than to say there are always people early in a sub-culture that see it go through the early stages, to the end stages.

We all have one thing in common. 24 hours in a day: how we spend that time in relation to what makes us happy is where the differences come in.

The hard thing to do is make something and try to sell it, and be willing to take the criticism or lack of if someone doesn’t want to buy it.

Back