Geno Denning Chute Knife

Great Score Steven! The Dennings are great people! the Loveless shop has produced a few with satin flats, but still had the mirror hollows. The Full Mirror is really at home on the Chute Knife, as most Loveless style knives. What many do not know, is the reason Loveless developed the Mirror finish to such a high degree. It wasn't really for the looks. That would be very anti Loveless. It is for the high polish of the surface of the steel to seal the blade from the elements. Much like clear coat on paint. The very slick surface also helps prevent scratches (when the blade is of sufficient hardness), This helps quell stress risers down the road. Geno did a great job!! My hat is off to him. Mike http://www.lovettknives.com/

Almost forgot. In Geno's defense, as Steven pointed out Prime Stag is getting harder and harder to find. Not only is there a very poor selection out there for texture, Matched sides are rare now. Solid larger pieces are really rare. Seems like everything is showing pith now days. A shame. The Loveless Shop, and I are currently looking for Stag large enough to do a few big Bears. Talk about a needle in a hay stack. Once again, Great Job Geno!!! Mike http://www.lovettknives.com/

Great knife, I really like the chute model :thumbup:
Very crappy scans though :D
You need a digital camera. If you have one, you need to use it :p

Congrats! I have *TWO* of his chute knives. One in mirror polish and scales of desert IW I bought at Blade 5 years ago or so, and one bead blasted with handle and guard of micarta. They make a great pair. Geno is a superb maker, with pricing that makes him one of the best value in the biz, and him and his wife run a very smooth operation from a customer/s standpoint.

It surprises me to see more and more stag handles with the pith showing.
That wasn't the case when stag was plentiful and cheap.

That is a beautiful knife though (pith aside).
I have a Denning GM in stag that is one of the stars of my humble collection. That darn beautiful mirror finish makes me sooooooooo hesitant to actually use it.

This one clearly deserves better images too.
Go Cooper!
Go Cooper!
:D

Pith? Yet another thing I am ignorant about. Please tell what that is.
If STeven's Denning has a dose of stag pith, it can't be too bad because that knife looks good to me.

Edit - OK, I think I figured it out. Premium stag is when the outer layer of stag is thick enough so none of the pith is visible from a side view. Right?

If STeven's Denning has a dose of stag pith, it can't be too bad because that knife looks good to me.

Well, pith is the softer, more porous center of the stag's antler. In an UNdyed form, it takes on a butt-ugly dark gray contrast to the whites, creams and browns of the bark.

In this particular knife, the pith does not look that bad to me. You would have to see it in person. The dying makes the pith dark brown against the other colors, kinda nice.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I thought it was when you were pithed-off on the forums because a collector was showing another nice knife and it wasn't yours?? :rolleyes:

I like it STeven. :thumbup:

Congrats! I have *TWO* of his chute knives. One in mirror polish and scales of desert IW I bought at Blade 5 years ago or so, and one bead blasted with handle and guard of micarta. They make a great pair. Geno is a superb maker, with pricing that makes him one of the best value in the biz, and him and his wife run a very smooth operation from a customer/s standpoint.

Joss, could you be so kind to post pics of your's in another thread? I, for one, am very interested... I'm sure others are too.

Steven,that is a real beaut but your scans are crapola.:D I agree that Geno's work is excellent and cheap for what you get.He is the only maker that I own 5 pieces from.I really like the mirror finish on that blade and he does it so well.Congrats and thanks for sharing a really wonderful knife.

Very nice knife!! I also like GenO's work. I currently have 3 ( Mini GM, GM, and Caribou - all drop points ) and one is on order.

sceva

The knife is cool, but that's some ugly dyed stagbone, IMHO. :p ;)

Mongo asked to see my pair of Denning Chutes. Hopefully, Steven won't mind my riding his thread like this...

IMG_3690small.jpg

Coop, I am not, but hopefully the pic is clear enough to show how awesome the knives are.

Joss, I LOVE your Chute knives.

I do not care for mirror polishing either. And I don't care for the stag on STeven's knife. I am glad that YOU are happy with it, after all THAT is what counts.

All three Great looking knives. The grinds are superb. I assume the clips are sharpened since they are chute knives.

All three Great looking knives. The grinds are superb. I assume the clips are sharpened since they are chute knives.

Clips are sharpened, but not razor like the primary bevels.

The beauty of a knife like this, for me, is that it REALLY does not matter if anyone else likes it! No offense intended to my fellow knifenuts.

1. It was supremely affordable!

2. It will be one of the last knives that I ever sell, unless someone walks up with a big pile of Franklins!:D

3. It was custom made by Geno to my specs, and exceeded my expectations, there is not another one LIKE it in existence.

Nice score on your own, Joss, I know that you love them, too!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back