Gerber 06 Automatic

Hello,

I hope you enjoy the story and review, I bought this knife a few months ago. I was disappointed, honestly. The pocket clip bolt heads were stripped, the bolts that hold the knife together had thread locker on them but not fully tightened. Had it been any other knife I would have returned it. But, I have always wanted one and I enjoy tearing down anything mechanical and putting it back together, so I took this as a sign that it was meant for me.

So I took it to my repair center ( Attached to my house and rumored to store 2 cars). Well 2 hours and 3 youtube videos after, I realized it was reassembled properly but the deployment was just slow, really l..... Unacceptable. So I took out the spring and measured it with calipers I got online and ordered an upgraded spring. I also contacted Gerber and asked for replacement hardware (they sent the bolts and a new clip, free of charge).

While waiting for parts I was playing with it, and it improved, so the ordered spring was no longer necesarry. Now that it was properly assembled and lubricated (As it should have been from the factory), I began to use it. I used it for everything, from rope and cardboard to twinky wrappers (Any opportunity to press the button).

It slowly crept its way into my pocket full time. Its big and heavy, not really ideal for carry all the time but I didn't care. I carried it, at work in my cargo pants and at the lake with trunks on, I couldn't put it down. It got to the point where it was in my hand most of the time. I used it to mark lumber for cutting, I used it as a chisel to clean up mortises, cut insulation, etc.

I absolutely love the positive engagement of everything, the lock, the deployment, the safety, it feels rock solid. Its blade was easy to sharpen and held an edge well. the grip regardless of environment was solid.

Its hard to give an unbiased opinion but I'll try. I don't believe the knife is worth msrp in the condition I received it, $100-$120 maybe. The blade is S30v and handles are g10 but that's kinda becoming fairly common to some degree. Its a US made knife that is well designed and is automatic. I received the upgraded spring and installed it, now it deploys as I thought it should. I think if Gerber put a better spring and kept an eye on quality control hey can get $199.I looked for pictures of the defects but couldn't find them, if I do I'll post them. I accepted the knife because I really wanted it, if I were just in the market for an auto knife I'd spend a little more on other brands with better materials and QC.

In the end I really love the knife and will in the market for a straight edged drop point.

I hope you enjoyed reading. Any questions, comment or concerns, please post!fullsizeoutput_c64.jpeg fullsizeoutput_c71.jpeg fullsizeoutput_c74.jpeg

Enjoying taking thinks apart and making them work is one thing, and receiving a knife that is not in proper working order is a whole different one. I understand your pain. I am also prone to fix stuff instead of sending it back to the manufacturer because living in Spain any returns to the US are totally out of the question. In your particular situation I would have done it for sure.

Anyway, enjoy the new knife!

I have the 10th anniversary. The deployment is on the sluggish side, but it is tank. It is definitely a keeper even though the novelty of autos has worn off for me since they aren’t practical or lefty friendly.

I also have the Gerber covert. The action on the covert is much snappier. I actually prefer the covert over some Microtech’s that cost 2-3 times more. It has a thin profile and a deep carry clip.

Update,

While not my absolute favorite knife, I still find it oddly satisfying to deploy the blade at every opportunity, its still in my top 5 must have. Only down side is the blade dulls when I use it for doing something I'm not suppose to (i.e. cutting heavy carpet, planing a door, etc.), weird. Its easy enough to sharpen so I still abuse it regularly, although I am buying a spare, in case this one decides to quit.

Update,

While not my absolute favorite knife, I still find it oddly satisfying to deploy the blade at every opportunity, its still in my top 5 must have. Only down side is the blade dulls when I use it for doing something I'm not suppose to (i.e. cutting heavy carpet, planing a door, etc.), weird. Its easy enough to sharpen so I still abuse it regularly, although I am buying a spare, in case this one decides to quit.
Can you provide a link to the improved spring? I just picked up a Gerber 06 automatic for my first automatic knife and I love it EXCEPT for the slow deploy time.

+1. My new 06 auto is so weak! I would love to know info on how to strengthen it.

USA Knifemaker sells high torsion 1/2”coil springs that fit. Might need to trim a tiny bit off of the tag end but that’s all. I upgraded both of my 06 autos and they fire like a Pro Tech now. :)

One thing to bear in mind is that when you change stock parts you can create other issues. If you increase the spring torsion, it can affect the stop pin in repeated openings. Gerber designed this knife with the stock spring in mind and used a certain stop pin that would hold up to that spring. This will cause even more vertical play than this knife already has out of the box.

I am not saying that a new spring WILL cause problems, but it is a possibility that you need to recognize.

Hello,

I hope you enjoy the story and review, I bought this knife a few months ago. I was disappointed, honestly. The pocket clip bolt heads were stripped, the bolts that hold the knife together had thread locker on them but not fully tightened. Had it been any other knife I would have returned it. But, I have always wanted one and I enjoy tearing down anything mechanical and putting it back together, so I took this as a sign that it was meant for me.

So I took it to my repair center ( Attached to my house and rumored to store 2 cars). Well 2 hours and 3 youtube videos after, I realized it was reassembled properly but the deployment was just slow, really l..... Unacceptable. So I took out the spring and measured it with calipers I got online and ordered an upgraded spring. I also contacted Gerber and asked for replacement hardware (they sent the bolts and a new clip, free of charge).

While waiting for parts I was playing with it, and it improved, so the ordered spring was no longer necesarry. Now that it was properly assembled and lubricated (As it should have been from the factory), I began to use it. I used it for everything, from rope and cardboard to twinky wrappers (Any opportunity to press the button).

It slowly crept its way into my pocket full time. Its big and heavy, not really ideal for carry all the time but I didn't care. I carried it, at work in my cargo pants and at the lake with trunks on, I couldn't put it down. It got to the point where it was in my hand most of the time. I used it to mark lumber for cutting, I used it as a chisel to clean up mortises, cut insulation, etc.

I absolutely love the positive engagement of everything, the lock, the deployment, the safety, it feels rock solid. Its blade was easy to sharpen and held an edge well. the grip regardless of environment was solid.

Its hard to give an unbiased opinion but I'll try. I don't believe the knife is worth msrp in the condition I received it, $100-$120 maybe. The blade is S30v and handles are g10 but that's kinda becoming fairly common to some degree. Its a US made knife that is well designed and is automatic. I received the upgraded spring and installed it, now it deploys as I thought it should. I think if Gerber put a better spring and kept an eye on quality control hey can get $199.I looked for pictures of the defects but couldn't find them, if I do I'll post them. I accepted the knife because I really wanted it, if I were just in the market for an auto knife I'd spend a little more on other brands with better materials and QC.

In the end I really love the knife and will in the market for a straight edged drop point.

I hope you enjoyed reading. Any questions, comment or concerns, please post!View attachment 1142680 View attachment 1142681 View attachment 1142683
Hey, has anyone found a deep carry clip for this!?!?

One thing to bear in mind is that when you change stock parts you can create other issues. If you increase the spring torsion, it can affect the stop pin in repeated openings. Gerber designed this knife with the stock spring in mind and used a certain stop pin that would hold up to that spring. This will cause even more vertical play than this knife already has out of the box.

I am not saying that a new spring WILL cause problems, but it is a possibility that you need to recognize.

I think you are right. I would imagine a stronger sping would be alright for normal use but it might become a problem for those prone to obsessively opening a closing an auto knife, someone like me perhaps. In that case a weaker spring may allow much longer, or perhaps even close to infinite opening and closing.

If the knife has premium hardened parts in all the right places and the design is up to those specs it should work without a hitch. I doubt Gerber will share why they went with a weaker spring tension.

USA Knifemaker sells high torsion 1/2”coil springs that fit. Might need to trim a tiny bit off of the tag end but that’s all. I upgraded both of my 06 autos and they fire like a Pro Tech now. :)
If it's the same upgraded spring I have, it doesn't really fit. If you open it back up after a while you will see that the spring is bent. Mine broke after a using it for a while. I ended up going back to the stock spring.

Does anyone know what the metal bushing piece is for on the pivot pin? Doesn't seem to serve a purpose and rattles a tad inside. My best guess is its there to keep the spring from rubbing on the pivot pin.

Back