Gerber Ad on TK ( fun)

guy g

Gold Member
Check out the new Gerber ad on the back of the Sept 03 Tactcal Knives. When my wife saw it and looked closer at it her comment to me was " you're just not funny! " I saw nothing wrong with the ad and after I got done laughing at her, I had to bring this up.
Remember the Buck/Strider ad where the dude had Bob build the shelter? My wife thought that was ROTF funny, so she has a good sense of humor, so I dont see the problem :D here.
What do you all think??
take care
guy

Guy,

Think it is funny. My wife and my 13 year old daughter think it's dumb. A waiter (not waitperson :D ) had a chuckle. My hypothesis is that the ad elicits a female-male dichotomy.

Will do further research.

Enjoy the long weekend. Alan

I assume you mean the ad for the new Gerber Emerson Automatic (can't remember the name of the knife atm and the magazine is upstairs.)
I didn't find it the least bit funny, but I thought it was interesting that Gerber seems to finally be breaking out of their mostly "civilian friendly" market ever since being acquired by Fiskars. Not only am I pleased to see Gerber cranking an auto, but I'm pleased to see Ernie Emerson teaming with other production companies again, and I hope that pattern continues (as EKI's spotty QC and strange grinding practices have kept me away from his otherwise great designs).

side note: before everyone starts yelling at me about the Yari and the Applegate-Fairbarn and stuff I would please ask that you notice I said MOSTLY "civilian-friendly". Ah well, suffice it to say it's nice to see Gerber finally cranking some real tacticals.

Dear YC,

Originally posted by YoungCutter
I assume you mean the ad for the new Gerber Emerson Automatic (can't remember the name of the knife atm and the magazine is upstairs.) (snip)

We mean the Freeman Fixed Hunter ad on the back of the magazine with the line "Your girlfriend said she wanted a stuffed animal."

Still makes me chuckle. Alan

I think that the ad is somewhat "stupid". I also think that it's stupid that I have the September issue of this magazine when it is only May!

Originally posted by glockman99
also think that it's stupid that I have the September issue of this magazine when it is only May!

:eek: :eek:
u noe, it didn't quite sink in until i saw this line

Just me -

I don't even look at the ads anymore 'cause they are so clearly "jive"...and that's all cutlery ads.:barf:

We distributed roughly 12 Emerson folders (his top models) to operators who took them into Iraq. QC on all, with reports back, was/is excellent. The blades performed exceptionally well and went all the way to Baghdad in some cases.

Agreed. Good to see Ernie team up with Gerber, and better to see Gerber re-entering / re-exploring the military knife market in the manner they are. Sound designs, high QC, and REASONABLE prices will need to be their goals, especially with their absence (presence) of so many years and the up/down QC problems they've had, as well.

A Gerber auto knife is long overdue. With Benchmade's ongoing success (read: domination) of the market as an Oregon based provider, and AMK's recent entry into this market with very sound, well made products (also an Oregon provider), Gerber clearly now feels comfortable taking a bite out of the automatic pie. It'll be interesting to see how they do, and how Kershaw (Oregon) and Lone Wolf / CK&T follow-on. Oregon cutlery providers, both custom and production, have long laid dormant as potential powerhouses capable of truly sitting the US industry on its ear.

This could get interesting come 2004.

GW

We distributed roughly 12 Emerson folders (his top models) to operators who took them into Iraq. QC on all, with reports back, was/is excellent. The blades performed exceptionally well and went all the way to Baghdad in some cases.

That's good to hear - EKI takes a boatload of criticism on this forum, much of it based on hearsay.

The five EKI products I have, have been the equal of my BM and Microtechs regarding QC; and the chisel ground edge is different - but not wrong.

In fact, once you actually USE IT it for tough cutting jobs, it can grow on you. Glad to see the operators were pleased.

Originally posted by Alan Antopol
We mean the Freeman Fixed Hunter ad on the back of the magazine

Any other info on that knife? A couple of places show it in stock now but nobody knows what the blade steel is. I actually emailed one of the dealers and asked "What type of blade steel is in the new Gerber Freeman?" I got a reply the next day that said, "It is STAINLESS steel." . . . DUH!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments, I did notice the 'September 2003' and laughed at that too!
The knife looks good also and after getting more info it may go on the list.
Its kinda like the billboard on the freeway that says "See made you look! " its catchy and made me and a few others look at the ad closer.
:)

Just checked the Gerber site and the Freeman isnt in the new products or regular product catagories...:(

Did use it for some tough cutting / slicing jobs...

And based on using a CQC6 since the first ones were handmade and came with a toothpick from Ernie...

And I found the Strider tac-folder I also carried simply did the jobs I needed done easier, cleaner, and faster.

Right tool for the right job at hand.

I carried the Strider in a knife pouch on my TAS assault vest. The Emerson was carried on my person at all times. I used it near every day for appropriate tasks and chores, and it was available as a self-defense / emergency extraction folder as well.

Two other operators carried CQC7s and they found them great.

As promised, I'm sending the Strider back to Mick with a letter for inclusion in their display case:D

GW

Back