Gerber AR3.5

Hello wasteawaytoday,

I bought one Gerber AR 3.0 a few days ago. I haven't tried it hard, but it's really comfortable to hold, and as I see, it's quality is very good (telling the truth, it's the best knife, I've ever had in my hand). My knife is a bit smaller than that above (half inch), but I think it will be fine for everyday use as well as the bigger one. It's very light, which was a surprise for me. Opening and closing was a bit strange for me at first (because it's my first line-lock knife), but after practising, it's o.k. My opinion is that it's worth buying, I'm very happy to have it.

wasteawaytoday said:
It's 64.99$ Canadian at my local outdoor store, is it a good price for the knife, i don't want to spend too much.
Well...at the local Wal*Marts around here (in Ohio, U.S.A.), they have the Gerber AR 3.5's selling for $27.82, before a sales tax of 6.5%. With sales tax included, it'd be $29.63. I seriously doubt that the U.S./Canadian exchange rate could account for a Gerber AR 3.5 costing over twice as much in Canada than in the U.S.

One of my local Wal*Marts was closing-out their Gerber AR 3.25's for $20, marked-down from $39. I'd been watching those knives sit on the close-out shelf for about three weeks, and watching their price coming down. I'd decided to go and buy it, tonight, but, darn my luck, they'd sold them all.

One thing that made me put off purchasing that knife was the "TAIWAN" stamped into the blade. When its price reached $20, I was telling myself that "A Taiwan-made knife is still better than supporting the Chinese, by buying a knife produced there...."

Gerber has had a plunge in the quality of its knives, in the last two years, in my opinion. Gerber knives were first produced in the U.S., then they started being manufactured in Taiwan, and now a lot of Gerber knives are being "Made in China." I might pay a premium for a U.S.-made Gerber knife, but, if you check-out your $64.99 Gerber AR 3.5's blade, I'm pretty certain that you'll see "China" stamped into it.

After seeing several/many examples of how much more expensive knives can cost in Canada, and elsewhere, I think that every knife loving Canadian should take a vacation to the U.S., and ask all of their friends and family if they need a knife, too, "on the cheap," and the Canadian traveling the U.S. can bring them back. The amount of money that you can potentially save by buying your knives in America could probably pay for the gasoline needed to travel to and from the U.S.! :D

GeoThorn

i had a 3.0 and loved it. i had it in my pocket when i ate it on my motorcycle one day going 70, give-or-take. it didn't fly open in my pocket and stick in my leg...the clip bent around into a U shape so i took it off. the knife still opens, closes, and locks better than new. it holds an edge well and can be re-sharpened easily. only reason i want to buy a new one is because i like having that damned pocket clip!

I've moved away from using my Gerbers to other blades. Sure, Gerbers can be found for good prices but I just don't like them anymore mainly because of where they're made and how they're made (i.e. materials, quality).

If you're interested in a good knife, I'd suggest starting with the Spyderco Native that can be found at some Wal-Marts. They have great blade steel and can be purchased at a steal for under $40. You won't be disappointed. Do a search here on Bladeforums for the Native and you will get an abundance of information. Good luck and happy hunting! :D

Back