Gerber carbide cutters breaking

I broke the carbide cutter inserts on my bladeless Gerber Multi-plier 600 a while ago. Then I went to Gerber's homepage and noticed that those cutters have a 5 year record of bad reviews, mostly for the same reason, so I guess a lot of people have had the same problem. Have Gerber ever addressed this in any way, and if so how? People have suggested making the inserts out of steel instead (like Leatherman does), has there been any talk about that from Gerber? It really seems like the way to go.

The bladeless Gerber tool that I've got is pretty much indispensable for my work, since there isn't any other multi tool that has both one hand opening, no knife and replacable cutters. It would just be really great if they could fix this problem.

Well I don't know what Gerber's response is to the complaints.
I have shattered one cutter and had to replace the set. ( Now I have one extra carbide cutter)
Problem is now I don't know when I will break another cutter.
Makes using the tool a crap shoot, you lose confidence in the wire cutters.
Safest way to use is to cut non ferrous metal only. Leave the steel wire to a sturdier tool.

Like the tool otherwise, have both black with blade and black bladeless.

Ya, carbide doesn't much like shock and impact. A good tool steel would last way longer!

Ya, carbide doesn't much like shock and impact. A good tool steel would last way longer!
Yeah, especially since you can rotate those things for two additional edges if you wear the first one out. They need to make this happen.

Yeah, especially since you can rotate those things for two additional edges if you wear the first one out. They need to make this happen.
And it's cheaper than carbide too! I don't get it. They could always impregnate the edge with carbide if they are really hung up on the carbide thing.

Could it be from the two carbide cutters suddenly impacting eachother as they cut through the wire?

As force is applied the wire stops it fron closing for a second. As the wire cuts that built up force snaps the two carbide edges together?

Just an idea. Maybe a lighter cutting technique could help?

Could it be from the two carbide cutters suddenly impacting eachother as they cut through the wire?

As force is applied the wire stops it fron closing for a second. As the wire cuts that built up force snaps the two carbide edges together?

Just an idea. Maybe a lighter cutting technique could help?
I don't think so, the cutters pass each other like the blades of a pair of scissors, they never bang into each other.

When you shatter one of the cutters, the fact that is three sided, means nothing. It's destroyed.

I've heard that Gerber does not make the cutters; an aftermarket cutter should just drop right in if this is true

Well, it's been quite a while and nothing's happened yet.
LOL. That's funny. Love your sense of humor.

I remember reading an article that explained how the writer used cutters that were from an outside source. He stated that they were ordered through a local machine shop but gave no further hints about their origins. The picture posted with the article had cutters that were a different color and obviously not stock.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what magazine it was in. Wish I could be of more help.

LOL. That's funny. Love your sense of humor.

I remember reading an article that explained how the writer used cutters that were from an outside source. He stated that they were ordered through a local machine shop but gave no further hints about their origins. The picture posted with the article had cutters that were a different color and obviously not stock.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what magazine it was in. Wish I could be of more help.
Don't be sorry. Gerber should be sorry.

I just googled "carbide inserts" and had all sort of stuff come up; including inserts that look right for Gerber. I just don't know about size issues. Contrary to what we've been told, size matters.

I have a Gerber mp 600 that received before deployment, I broke the inserts years ago and never replaced them.

I've cut a penny in half with one and shattered a new cutter on a coat hanger. What can I say besides "hey it's Gerber". I understand it fits the OP needs well. I have one and only use it for fishing. Because if I drop a Leatherman in the water it'll make me mad for a month.

Reactions: JAM
It is my understanding that the carbide inserts are designed for use with small gauge wire only. Coat hangers and pennies are too much for them.

Oh, I'd be pissed off if my Leatherman Wave went for a swim!

In looking at the Gerber inserts versus off the shelf tool steel or carbide inserts the difference I see is that the Gerber has the little notch to hold the wire while cutting. Not sure if that is necessary or not.

With the Gerber replacement blades you get the wrench and replacement screws as well.

Back