Gerber Covert Question

Would a first production run Gerber Covert with an ATS-34 blade have the Lake-Walker interlock?

Seems like I read somewhere that the Covert, but maybe it was the Combat, started out with a lock other than the Lake-Walker.

Also, would the older models with ATS-34 or the newer ones with 154CM steel be better? I know the steels are basically the same, but sometimes new is not always better.

Thanks.

AFAIK all the coverts, even the early ones were fitted with the Walker interlock.

The larger combat version has always just been the liner lock without the interlock.

I don't own either myself but I have handled both an ATS 34 and 154cm version and they both seemed the same to me in the fit and finish department.

I've never been a big fan of the covert though due to lack of a stop pin. Not a big deal for opening but when the blades closes you are basically slamming it into the back of the tang each time.

A design flaw IMO, especially for a knife at its price point.

The first-run coverts had an interlock, however it was not placed where conventional LAWKS-type interlocks are now found, on the edge of the handle near the spine of the blade; instead it was a small recessed button on the "flat" of the handle, more difficult to reach and use than in the 2nd-gen models. I had a 1st-gen but I would get a 2nd-gen. I would also get the flat-grind over the dagger-grind. the flat-grind is a cool knife with a really handy and ergonomic design, although you need to lock-tite all the screws, otherwise they all fall out & get lost within weeks. At least mine did, & by the time I noticed it was too late.

BOK and fishface.
Good information which I appreciate. Especially about the lack of a pin stop.
Maybe I'll just hang in with the two models I carry most often, a Benchmade 840 and a SOG Elite II (heavy duty jeans wear).
How do those two stack up in the pin stop category?
Thanks.

Back