Gerber Guardian II handle repair

deltablade

Gold Member
I acquired this well-used Guardian some time ago, and the handle is now flaking. What should I do? sand and paint? or is there a better solution?

UqjW8Y9.jpg

lDLZBPx.jpg

A4iGUtZ.jpg

I would prep it for a bed liner coating (Line-X, Rhino Liner, et al) and give it a utilitarian, Winkler Knives style of finish.

Just wondering.... A Gerber Guardian is a back-up stabbing weapon. A very effective boot knife, but not really very good for daily camp chores or even cutting up cardboard. It's made for killing.

The amount of deterioration on the handle of this knife shows that it has been used hard and put away wet. Who kills this many people?

Stitchawl

I’m guessing that storage in less-than-ideal conditions was a contributing factor.

Just wondering.... A Gerber Guardian is a back-up stabbing weapon. A very effective boot knife, but not really very good for daily camp chores or even cutting up cardboard. It's made for killing.

The amount of deterioration on the handle of this knife shows that it has been used hard and put away wet. Who kills this many people?

Stitchawl
My thoughts exqctly. is why I really like the knife

Adamlau, thanks for the suggestion. It worked great. The handle looks great, and the surface has a better "grippy" finish than the original, IMO. Not sticky, just a good grippy feel. Ready for some more Killing, stichawl. LOL
ti7MMsQ.jpg
ic7bHHC.jpg
jy9X6yk.jpg

Looks good :) . Which product did you end up using as the finish appears a bit glossy? I use bed liner everywhere. Usually Line-X as they are local.

The Gerber handle came out so well, I tried the same bed liner treatment on an integral metal handle knife I use for leather work. Ahmhappy

R6TFLoq.jpg

Looks good :) . Which product did you end up using as the finish appears a bit glossy? I use bed liner everywhere. Usually Line-X as they are local.

I used Rusteoleum spray bed liner...all I could find here in a small size. Will look for line-x if it is less glossy. I am in Alabama small town, so should I check auto supply stores?

Back