Gerber multi-tools

Are these any good? My dad said he used to have one and it was somewhat heavy due to the "slide-in" design of the pliers. I want to get a good sturdy mid-sized multi-tool, and Im not sure weather to go with the Gerber Sportsman multi-tool or a Leatherman [havent decided on model yet].
Thoughts? Suggestions?

-dude

I own about three dozen assorted multitools (not including SAKs), including several Gerbers.

I hate them.

In general, they're big and heavy compared to Leatherman, Victorinox or SOG tools that offer similar functionality. Finish is invariably bead-blasted, making everything feel gritty and rough. Knife blades are thin and don't seem very sturdy, and won't hold an edge fer crap. Scissors are short and stubby, with that highly-curved Fiskars design that can't cut much thicker than paper reliably or comfortably. The slide-out models (400 and 600 series) are fitted loosely, and rattle when open and when closed.

On the plus side, every tool locks, except on the keychain-sized tools. Also, the plier design itself is sturdy; they take a beating and come back for more.

Then there's the issue of the parent company, which has transformed one of the great American knife and tool companies into an outfit that resells cheap Chinese knock-offs of *real* knives.

I hate when this subject comes up :D I too, have a variety of multi's some of which are Gerbers that have seen, and still do, see action. I wouldn't exactly go way out on a limb to try to get someone to buy them, but I don't think they are the "junk" that some make them out to be either.
If you were in a bind and had nothing else, I bet you'd be thrilled to have a cheap japanese knock off, and I bet you'd get results with it. A lot has to do with the individual and how they use the tool. I have never had a Gerber fail me which I consider a good thing.
If you use multi's a lot, buy a few and see what you like. If you want one that you can be fairly certain you'll like, try a Leatherman or pick out a SAK :)

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. A Fiskar's product (can't recall what it was called, only that it was clamp packed) made entirely in red China; which appeared to me, an exact copy of a Gerber multiplier, only that it came in a satin wirebrushed finish. Which makes me wonder if actual "Gerber" labled multipliers are of a 100% USofA components. I did note the sheaths for Gerber pliers to be an off shore product now.

IMHO on Gerber multipliers, I think the philips screw/cross screw driver are a bit too stubby and short. And make sure you go for the black coated (yes, it would wear off in time) pliertools as the beatblasted finish breeds rust spots in no time.

I would have to agree that an original Leatherman Tool works just as fine (if not better) and sure was a lot easier to pack. But it was neat to be able to engage the Gerber pliers in a split second. And that's why folks like me bought 'em then.

Krizzard, out

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

Krizzard said:
But it was neat to be able to engage the Gerber pliers in a split second. And that's why folks like me bought 'em then.
I never understood this "advantage"... with very little practice, you can draw a Leatherman from the sheath, grab one handle, and flip it open butterfly-knife-style. Push the handles against your leg or other object to finish, if necessary. To close, grab one handle again, and use your leg or other object to swing the other handle closed. I can do this so fast, people think I'mk using a balisong.

Oh yeah, I left out another detail about the 400 and 600 Gerbers, above: the handles are too close together, and pinch badly, especially when you're squeezing them hard. Never had that problem with any other tool.

I have a few Gerbers (the Pro-Scout and the Compact Sport) and they are fine multi-tools that get the job done as well as any multi-tool I've ever used...and I've used alot of different multi-tools.

The old Gerbers were designed with the handles too close and you could pinch your hand, but that was long ago.
I bough my Pro-Scout about four years ago and there is NO way that you can possible squeeze the handles together and pinch your hand.
The same is true of my Compact Sport.

And the Gerbers have some other features that are very nice too:

The "flick out" pliers are the handiest multi-tool pliers that I have ever used with out a doubt.
Yes they rattle due to the nature of their construction--but when you clamp down on something that are 100% secure (most pipe-wrenches rattle too but that does'nt mean they don't work).

The saw blade adaptor is simple brilliant!
You can use any standard jig-saw blade (metal or wood) and when it gets dull just replace that blade.
If your saw blade gets dull on your Leatherman, what do you do--tiny saw teeth are no fun to try and sharpen at all!

And I think that the Gerbers have the easiest to operate locking system of any multi-tool--and ALL of the tools lock open.

And they don't all clump together when you want to access just one tool.

They're not perfect, but they are a far cry from junk--and they work just fine.

Allen.

Back