Gerber Pocket Sharpeners?

I've seen similar devices at Walmart and other stores. Never used one. I'm not even a fan of 'crock sticks' or the Sharpmaker.

Obviously, the investment to try the device is small.

Fixed-angle of 40 degrees is an obvious drawback for general versatility, but I think these little tools might be ideal for quickly reviving edges for a fisherman's filet knife, since thin blades slice well even with relatively blunt edge angles.

Even when the ceramic inserts clog with metal, they would seem to serve well to at least align the edge of a filet knife.

I actually have several. I find that they are very useful and effective at restoring a well-sharpened knife, but you are not going to actually put a sharp edge on a dull knife with them.

If you keep your knives sharp, this makes a convienient way to touch them up after use.

-John

I keep one in my truck and use it for "touch up" sharpening on already sharpened knives. Although it works fairly well it is by no means my primary means of sharpening. for that I use my 204 Sharpmaker.

I don't find it to be particularly damaging to blade tips (the way a 204 Sharpmaker can be if you're not careful), but I don't really expect that it would 'fix' a blunted tip either. You're probably better off using a stone for that.

-John

I have a Hunter Honer that I use a lot.

Very tough, light, small. Great to use to keep things sharp.

They usually run about $20.

I have the Hunter Honer also. I have had it for several years and have had mixed results.

In general I'd say that it works pretty well. I will take a sharp knife that's gotten kinda' dull back to being sharp again. It's not really good for taking a straight up dull knife and sharpening it though.

I've heard bad things about how carbide sharpeners such as these are not good for a blade because they SCRAPE rather than Grind the metal away, but I've never seen any problem that I could tell.

-John

I wonder if you could take that simple design and add to it a little bit for low cost(guess you could). Make it so you could adjust the angle of the stones with a thumb screw or something. Then you could make the angles match whatever your primary sharpening system is. Even widen the opening slightly to make room for thicker blades. Or just make the hones fit into two different slots ..... 30/40? (inclusive).
Maybe just put small springs on the ends of the hones so they self adjust like the Razor Edge Mouse Trap System or the Warthog knife sharpening systems.

Just thinking out loud is all. I have always been somewhat facinated with small sharpeners like these.

mike

Back