Gerber Prodigy review

When i was break out my prodigy handle...It is not full tang!!!!! Anyway i was grinding serration and i will make handle,sheath
15477701644_575c79c19c_k.jpg

15477701674_261123ffe5_k.jpg

15477701694_50fd26d38f_k.jpg

This is the first time I've seen a Prodigy tang. Looks plenty beefy to me. I figured it might be just a skinny stick with 90* angles at the shoulders, so I'm pleased to see the way it's actually made. :thumbup: Thanks for the pics. :cool:

They are full tang, the tang is simply narrow. They are very stout. I had two at one time, and they proved to be pretty nice! Hated the sheaths though. Battoned with, threw, sliced and diced..lol. Anyone who reads my reviews knows Im hard on gear, and these saw some rough use with me.

The gerber prodigy is full-length tang, not full-width tang. :) Still just as strong, if you look, you can see the tangs edges where the handle meets are rounded, so no pressure points.

You all are right, the Prodigy knife is full tang. I asked Gerber and they said it is a full length hidden tang. This type of tang is different to the usual full length and full width visible tang that most people are familiar with.:)

There's full tang, and then there is rat tail tang. This is a rat tail tang. They really need to start discriminating in the terminology on this. Would you still call it full tang if it was only 1/4" wide but still went the length of the handle? I wouldn't... it would be weak as heck and not truly "full" tang that was close to or the same height as the handle scale to the end of the handle. Times have changed, the knives have changed... and the terminology needs to as well. I think we should have 'Full', 'Full Skeletonized', and 'Rat Tail' be labeled properly by the manufacturers. When I think of a true 'Full' tang I think of something along the lines of a Buck 124 Frontiersman. That said... I have three Prodigy's and love 'em. Great knives. If you can find 'em; Wal-mart has recently been getting a fine edge version without the serrations but they're disappearing fast, and I'm not sure Gerber is going to continue to make that version. They were briefly on amazon, but not seems they ran out as I no longer see a listing.

I always thought "Rat Tail" tangs were narrower than this one. I thought a rat tail tang was like thin like a chopstick.

This looks full tang to me. As in not half tang, the tang runs the full length to the butt. It may not be a full width tang where you can see it between two scales, but what did you expect, you see how the handle material is shaped, the tang has to be made to accommodate that design.

There's full tang, and then there is rat tail tang. This is a rat tail tang. They really need to start discriminating in the terminology on this. Would you still call it full tang if it was only 1/4" wide but still went the length of the handle? I wouldn't... it would be weak as heck and not truly "full" tang that was close to or the same height as the handle scale to the end of the handle. Times have changed, the knives have changed... and the terminology needs to as well. I think we should have 'Full', 'Full Skeletonized', and 'Rat Tail' be labeled properly by the manufacturers. When I think of a true 'Full' tang I think of something along the lines of a Buck 124 Frontiersman. That said... I have three Prodigy's and love 'em. Great knives. If you can find 'em; Wal-mart has recently been getting a fine edge version without the serrations but they're disappearing fast, and I'm not sure Gerber is going to continue to make that version. They were briefly on amazon, but not seems they ran out as I no longer see a listing.
Not sure why you are resurrecting this 2.5 you old thread with your first post but welcome! You might be right that different terminology should be used to describe the above tang or a tang that is full length and width. That said, the above is in no way a rat tang. A real rat tang looks like the tail of a rat and is far more weak than what we see in the prodigy.

Back