Gerber Propel Downgrade AO (Not Auto) in California?

Hey Guys!
I was looking into getting a Gerber Propel Downgrade AO (https://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Assisted/Propel-Downrange-AO_30-000841) but was discouraged by the controversy over whether a spring assisted knife, that contains a thumb stud, is considered an automatic knife, or switchblade. As it says in the title, I live in Santa Barbara, California and was very interested in this knife. Additionally, if anyone has anything to comment about the knife, if its a good knife or not, please do.

Thanks for the support!

I don't know if there are any knife laws specific to Santa Barbara, but based on my knowledge of California state knife laws, assisted-opening knives that require pressure on a thumbstud to open are not considered switchblades, nor are they illegal to carry. They are just as legal as any other manual folding knife that requires pressure on a thumbstud to open.

This is not offered as legal advice, but I would not have any problem carrying that knife. If you do carry it, be prepared to explain exactly how it works to any cop who might question you about it. The two "buttons" on the side might likely cause a cop to think "switchblade". But as long as pushing on those buttons doesn't cause the blade to open, legally speaking you should be fine. Of course there is never any guarantee against meeting a cop who is ignorant of the law, doesn't know the difference between a manual folder and a switchblade, or a cop who believes in "arrest them all and let the DA sort it out".

Back