Gerber Recoil Auto-plier or SOG switchplier

hi,

Any opinions, reviews, experience with the Gerber Recoil Autoplier or Sog switchplier?
Are they heavy duty tools?
Can they compact enough to be carried in jeans?
Are they easy to operate?

greetings,
mike

I have the SOG Switchpliers... It's a cool toy, but that's about all I would consider it. For light duty stuff it's OK, but the pliers just aren't up to heavy work IMO. Mostly due to the handle design. But it's a fun companion for my Benchmade auto! :D

The Gerber tool is very unimpressive in quality and functionality. The SOG is a much higher quality tool, but of limited functionality. I would rate it as "medium duty" with the Victorinox Swiss tool at "extreme duty". Neither one is inexpensive for what they are and I received both of them as gifts. The Leatherman wave or the Swisstool would be money better spent, rather than either of these tools.

I would have to agree with Marcangel, the Sog Switchpliers are more of a medium duty tool. They are quite nice and I use mine around the house alot but would never consider taking them to work as I know they wouldn't hold up. I use my multi tool alot on the job and am rather demanding on them.

Back