Gerber Trident - How Good is It?

Folks,

Tactical Knives just had a favorable article about the Gerber Trident. Do any of you have one? Any opinions about it?

Thanks Alan

Don't know, never bought one. It seems a bit pricey, and looks a lot like the Aiter Hammerhead. But of course it's all up to what you like. I've bought some knives that are probably "overkill" on price, and have no regrets.

I wondered about that one, too. I'd like to see one in person, handle it and swing it around. Looks real comfortable.

Yes it does have a high MSRP, but in the U.S. you never have to pay full retail on productionknives. The MSRP is 340 but it is easy to find on the net for 220 ( knifecenter.com ) or 187 ( thesealstore.com ).
That means it is just slightly more expensive than other similar high quality productionknives.

It is made of premium materials. The hytrelhandle is about as rugged as a polymerhandle can get. It also seems to be very comfortable and secure.

The 154CM steel is a good stainless steel that has been around for decades and has a proven record of function and performance in the field. Had it been released two years ago it would have been considered a top choice in steels(among stainless of course) but now there is the famous S30V that has taken the industry by storm.

One of the designers is Bill Harsey who is a well respected custom maker with many good designs in his portfolio. As a custom maker he has a reputation to take care of, so I think some serious thought went in to this knife bofore he approved the use of his name.

The other designer is SEAL master chief Watson, a vietnamveteran. He has really "been there" and "done that". I don´t think his professional pride would let him stand by this product unless he thought it could be of help to the guys who are "doin'it tomorrow".

Abadir,

Thanks! :) Have you handled one? Is not clear to me from your post.

Has anyone around handled one, or, better yet, used one?

Thanks Alan

No, I haven´t handled one yet. I live in Sweden and it usually takes a while for US-made knives to get here. By that time they are VERY expensive. Unlike in the US we usually have to pay the MSRP plus at least 10-50%. It is better to order one from an american retailer. I´m thinking about ordering a Silver Trident from thesealstore.com.
To me the ST seems to be a very good allpurpose knife, anything from utility to defense

I was able to play with one last week.
I will admit the first time I saw a pic of it I thought Gerber was up to no good again. I figured sure the credentials are right but I can't see paying that much for something that ugly..
Then I picked it up..

That knife has to have the grippiest handle I've ever wrapped my hand around. You can't let it go. It would be perfect for pretty much any situation. I can see it as an excelent dive knife, I don't think gloves would affect it at all. The blade seems to be just the right lenght and the weight isn't too bad. It's also a mean cutter. I like the fact that the swedge is sharpened and the serrations are great. It's solid as hell and gives you a really confidant feeling in it's abilities. I had trouble putting it down and it's not my style at all.

Overall I'd say if this is the line of work you are in then get this knife. I can't really say I'd reccomend it to a civillian unless your profession or hobbie duplicates that of a SEAL or unless you collect military blades. I have no use for it in my activities so even though I think it's an awsome piece there is no way I'd buy it. However if I enlisted and made the teams I'd buy it in a heart beat.

We got in our first group a few weeks ago. They are very nice. I thought they were pricey myself until I handled it, they are very high standard. No problems, very happy with Gerber on this one!

Hello Abadir,

I am working in Germany right now and this has sharply curbed my knife buying. Like Sweden, imported knives here are frightfully expensive. Only the German brands like Boker are priced about the same as in the US.

What is more, German Customs makes it less attractive to order from the US. I ordered a Fallkniven A1 from a US internet dealer to avoid the high prices here. When I picked the knife up at the post office, I had to pay over 30 euros in tax.

This was still less than I would have paid at a local store in Frankfurt, but the tax narrowed the gap considerably.

This is getting off the subject, but if anyone back in the US is planning a European vacation this summer, look out. The dollar has fallen drastically against the Euro. Combine this with the fact that most stuff costs more here than in the US anyhow, and you are looking at one expensive vacation.

However the exchange rate is great for Americans working here, and getting paid in Euros.

Beck,
go to Ja Henckels in Wiesbaden, they have some very nice pieces!!! If you live in Frankfurt its a short drive.

W.T. Beck,
Thomas Wahl and Wolfster for example offer knives at prices that are usually not that much higher than those in the USA.

If your German is not very good, contact me via eMail and I'll help you ordering what you want. I know both Thomas and Wolfgang in person and they both are good, stand-up guys. I've done business with both of 'em more than once (and will definitely continue to do so in the future). I recommend them highly. Their customer service is hard to match.

Back