German HUnting knife....

Is there anyone who still makes a traditional german hunting knife? You know the kind with the upswept blade and stag handle. With a leather sheath? Real common few years back.

Linder and boker make several different models. But not all are made in germany. Puma makes a decent fixed blade but again some are made in spain and china. Last I looked bud k had a good selection of lender knives. Most of the ones that look like a traditonal german hunter and priced at $30 are imported.

Many years ago in the very early 70's I bought this German made hunting knife in a little knife shop called Hoffritz in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.. Stag and HC steel built of full tang construction.

Is this the kind you mean?.

000_0789.jpg

OH, I believe he mentioned up-swept blades and I see none on either of those sites.?

Well, here is a trio of interesting 'hunters'. The top is an older, albeit still made in Germany, Puma 'White Hunter' #11 6375. Next is a well-upswept brand new - made in Idaho - Buck 'Kalinga Pro' #419. The bottom is a Buck 'Alaskan Guide' Vanguard #192, a great hand-fit here. It shares the same S30V blade material as the center #419.

A smaller than the 'White Hunter', and slightly upswept version of a hunter's knife, also stag handled and 'Made in Germany', is available from Puma as their 'Skinner II' 11 8393. I'll try to photo the Puma's with the Buck Kalinga Pro. Seriously, the Buck #408 'Kalinga Pro', MSRP of $160, is a hard act to follow - and likely available for less than a great price on the Puma 'Skinner II'.

IMG_0274_edited.jpg

Stainz

Back