Get ya thinking caps on-Competition !

After a conversation with Mark the other day he told me he'd like to add a new 4" to 4 1/2" bladed knife to his line-up.

The catch is that he would like it to be a little different to what everyone else is making. By this I don't mean it has to be some totally crazy design that has everyone scratching their heads...that's my department:D.....it just has to be something a little different to the many Bushcraft clones or Kephart variations etc that are flooding the forums.

Mark asked if I thought a design competition would be a good idea.......fancy asking me that, there was only one answer I was gonna give so here we are !;):thumbup:

I'm thinking we can all submit a design and then after a certain date we will all vote to decide the winner.
Not sure exactly what Mark has in mind but maybe that knife will then be added to the line and maybe.......fingers crossed....Mark might have a pass-a-round or something with a prototype.

Hopefully Mark will chime in with any other details.....so get ya thinking caps on and try thinking a little outta the box !;)

Cool I like design contests. Any guideline to what the knife will be used for? Camping, hiking, hunting...?

Cool I like design contests. Any guideline to what the knife will be used for? Camping, hiking, hunting...?

Nah Mark never said, just that he wanted to add a new blade in that size range to his line !

Would it be a crime to want it being that length and .25" thick? Full Flat Grind? Or at least a High Flat Grind? On any blade shape!!

My interest is certainly piqued! I'm tempted to submit the same Apocalyptic Survival Knife design I've submitted a few other places (no one has made it yet, so it's still pretty unique) but maybe I'll see what else I can come up with. Hopefully Mark stops by and gives us a timeline for the contest and some more details.

Ok for sure a pass around before full blown production! As to use, think multiple uses. Not just a highly specialized blade..

Sounds really kool, i am putting my think cap on:D....
I would love to participate in this:thumbup:....
THINKING:cool:

This should be a very interesting thread. Going to subscribe now.

As a side, yesterday I was over at another forum looking at customs and realized that I really don't like a lot of the more modern star trekish/bling/tactical/crazy blade angles on some of the more modern stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's perfectly functional, but, it looks more like abstract art to me, rather than tools. Just a personal thing I guess.

It would be nice to see something traditional that was brought forward by modern design without losing its identity if that makes sense. I recently picked up a knife that really isn't usually my style. It's an RAT 3 in D2. One thing I noticed about it that I really liked was the recessed finger choil to be able to choke up on the blade.

I was amazed by how good it felt in the hand. Perhaps something like that could be incorporated into a design. Just found this forum the other day and like a lot of the knives. Sorry for just dropping in and rambling. :) Look forward to watching this thread.

I have something in the works already. Mark, can you do slight recurves?:D

Hey Pit, one suggestion I would have is to limit one entry per person. I've seen, and been a part of, contests where people had 3-5 entries, myself included:D, and it just kind of makes it messy IMO.

My drawing skills are lacking so I'll propose the knife design in a different way.

I call it a Drop Point with an Attitude.

Start with this blade. Remove the thumb ramp and replace with several effective, square, sharp jimping cuts on the spine. Add a lanyard hole very near the end of the knife toward the bottom side (most out of the way spot and likely open if a lanyard is used). If you want the lanyard option, drill a hole in the scales, otherwise cover it with the scales.

I'm thinking canvas micarta for scale material; something grippy and not too smooth. The micarta would match with the handle shape to form an effective single guard. Unlike bushcraft blades, this knife should be able to make a hard thrust and keep fingers from sliding onto the blade edge. The micarta would be thicker in the middle and narrowed on the ends for a more filling grip. For comfort, handle pins would be solid instead of any form of thong tube material. Pin material would be something to compliment the blade and scale color.

The blade would be ground either high or full flat with a light convex edge. I don't know what steel to use. That'd be a MarkW selection. I'd say thickness close to 3/16" but definitely no less than 1/8". Retain the choil to allow choking up on the blade for fine work.

The sheath would be kydex (probably dull black) with a molded-in shape to secure the knife in the sheath with no straps yet release with a slight tug. Ideally, it would have a tec-lock that could be rotated 90 degrees (via screws) allowing the option of horizontal or vertical carry on a belt. The tec-lock would fit on either side of the sheath as well to allow maximum versatility for carry and possible concealment.

It would be strong enough for bushcraft/camp tasks yet easily at home in an urban jungle. :D

Last edited:
My interest is certainly piqued! I'm tempted to submit the same Apocalyptic Survival Knife design I've submitted a few other places (no one has made it yet, so it's still pretty unique) but maybe I'll see what else I can come up with. Hopefully Mark stops by and gives us a timeline for the contest and some more details.

The ASK? Tweak the tip some? A blunt tip gets my interest ....

Anyone have any pictures of what they're thinkin'...?

I sketched a rough drawing out the other day, I'll draw up a better one and post it on my days off....gonna call it the Bush-Tucker knife !;):thumbup:

Back