Getting a good bevel angle on EP Apex

How does everyone go about getting an accurate bevel angle with an Edge Pro if your knife has an unusual grind? For example, a 940 Osborne. When there is no flat spot on the grind, how do you hold the knife correctly so that the angle is accurate? Thanks for the help!

Mods will probably move this to Maintenance, Tinkering, and Embellishment, but anyhow..

Your best bet is to remove the thumbstud. From there you can hold it on the flat section or face of the blade (primary grind). The face would probably be the most stable, but just remember the angle will be set a lot higher than the true angle you're sharpening at if you do it that way. If you're just trying to match the angle of the existing bevel it wont matter much though. Also if you have strong neodym magnet under the blade table it will also help hold it in place without wiggling around.

Mods will probably move this to Maintenance, Tinkering, and Embellishment, but anyhow..

Your best bet is to remove the thumbstud. From there you can hold it on the flat section or face of the blade (primary grind). The face would probably be the most stable, but just remember the angle will be set a lot higher than the true angle you're sharpening at if you do it that way. If you're just trying to match the angle of the existing bevel it wont matter much though. Also if you have strong neodym magnet under the blade table it will also help hold it in place without wiggling around.

This, x2.

Practice on junk knives to get a feel for holding it stable, and don’t use excessive pressure on the stone. Slow and steady ftw.

remove the thumbstud
Definitely; it's easy.
just . . . match the angle of the existing bevel
Yes try both sides and which ever angle lets you get on the edge on both sides is the one to use. Very often the edge grind is not the same angle on both sides. Though it will be once you are finished using the Edge Pro if you get the knife sharp.
If you find you want to change the angle then go from there and do so. Personally I go purely on experience and how the particular knife performs for the regular tasks I have in mind for it.
Meaning I could care less what the numbers are just make it cut well and not roll (too shallow) and make it cut well for a good period of time (which it won't if the angle is too wide).

Some times I try to keep the flats near the spine on the "stage" of the Edge Pro but mostly I just put the area right near the edge on the "stage" and the other point of contact is the corner where the main grind transitions to the flat area near the spine.

An example is I was sharpening my Razelized Ti Lite VI a couple of days ago and I kept the knife on the flats near the spine and by the time I was finished fighting that and the knife was sharp I wished I had just put the edge area down on the stage.

How does everyone go about getting an accurate bevel angle with an Edge Pro if your knife has an unusual grind? For example, a 940 Osborne. When there is no flat spot on the grind, how do you hold the knife correctly so that the angle is accurate? Thanks for the help!

Interesting suggestion. What if a blade does not have any flat except the pivot area? Is it possible to clamp that area for sharpening?

Interesting suggestion. What if a blade does not have any flat except the pivot area? Is it possible to clamp that area for sharpening?
If it's a spyderco usually it's easy cause they have a flat Just aft the handle. Else you could in theory remove the blade from the knaf and hold the flat to the base, magnet would probably help. But it may be difficult to hold Straight imho. Maybe vice Grips could be used lol.

Back