Getting annoying...knife I pick has something wrong!

G'day Pit

Since the OP has already spent the money, why not encourage him to see for himself whether or not the knives he has purchased can be trusted?

The reason why I say this is I rember one of your posts some time ago that originally led me to joining this forum :D

IIRC, it was a post where you asked about whether or not Fallkniven & Bark River were hard use knives. You even went so far as to suggest that there wasn't much evidence that this was the case. :eek:

If I also remember correctly, at the time I referred you to the Fallkniven forum where you could see ample evidence of this being the case in real world use. After all, you are also a member of knifeforums.com, so you could look at the available evidence that had been previously posted on the internet. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't recall you responding to my first post. :D

Unfortunately the search function only appears to let me search my last 500 posts, otherwise I would provide a link to this :D

I also seem to recall your willingness to dog pile on the recent anti-Bark river post on the Fiddlebackforge forum post here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781983

Just to remind you, have a look at post number #16 , # 55 and #57.

Based on what I've seen so far, it seems to me like you have an anti-Fallkniven & Bark River agenda :thumbdn:

I truly mean no offense by this, but rather, remind you of your previous posts and show you why my opinions are what they are :D

Kind regards
Mick

Truth be told I'm just a sh*t stirrer Mick !:D

Actually regarding the Bark River knives, and I really don't wish to change the direction of this thread,there just appeared to be too many cases of edge damage for it to be dismissed. A well repected maker on these forums even told me that he had recieved many Barkies with damaged edges requesting him to put them right, he said they were just ground too thinly.
The thing I find strange is that many people don't even post of their damaged Barkies because they feel good service has been done when they are replaced. If I drive a new car and the breaks fail, I don't care how many thousands they sell and how few lemons they make, I also don't care if they say sorry and fix my car. Once something bad happens like that it taints my opinion of that product and I don't want it anymore.

I have never seen any cases of damaged Fallknivens but I have been in the Op's position before and once those doubts creep in ya might as well sell what ya have and get something you will have total faith in. I would have total faith in a Fallkniven but obviously he has not so why stop him getting something else that will make him happy ?

I find it amusing how people can get so worked up on these threads. I'm not immune to the " worrying if my knives will break " syndrome which is why I don't feel too bad yanking other peoples chains a little.
If we just take a step back and look at what we are really talking about you have to give ya head a shake and smile eh !!!!
There are people dying all over the world in wars or starving to death and we stress over whether our knife will chip or go dull quick, in reality we all know that 90% of our tasks could be done with a Mora but if we all just carried a Mora and an Axe this would be one hell of a boring forum !:D

Last edited:
Something about this thread conjures images of lemmings throwing themselves off of some distant cliff overlooking the sea, one after another. I plead with you lemmings, stop throwing yourselves off of that cliff?

All I know for sure...is that dozier can handle any animal on the planet. From field dressing,skinning,meat processing,caping..Bob Dozier has said publicly that it is his favorite..I don't baton with my knives, I carry a small GB hatchet in my pack and my hunting knife on my belt. I have spent 80 plus nights in the wilds of Alaska and never felt stressed about my tools..

I think we will know when Kman300 posts reviews of his three new knives in the testing forum...:D:cool:

negative.gif

Pitdog has a point about the Barkies. However, being that the knife is in route, and the major complaint is blades ground too thinly, the OP would be better served by waiting and passing judgement when the knife arrives. I think that in general this whole forum is a vast over representation of knife related QC problems. Neither the good nor the bad are accurately reflected, in quantity of blades or in magnitude of goodness. As cutlery lovers, we are a critical bunch and have an outlet full of sympathetic ears. While it does suck when one gets a lemon, and that has no effect BUT to negatively color one's perception of a maker, for every lemon posted here- and for every satisfied customer spouting off here as well- there are 1000s and 1000s of perfectly satisfied customers-with perfectly satisfactory knives. So Kman, how are those knives treating you?

Adding more fuel to the fire boys. I ordered a Ratmandu and a Kellam Wolverine. Pretty sure I will be selling the f1, b1 and esse5 and keeping the ratmandu as a "big" knife and the wolverine as a smaller knife for more delicate things such as gutting a perch or....wait for it, putting peanut butter on my bread!

Cheers

Adding more fuel to the fire boys. I ordered a Ratmandu and a Kellam Wolverine. Pretty sure I will be selling the f1, b1 and esse5 and keeping the ratmandu as a "big" knife and the wolverine as a smaller knife for more delicate things such as gutting a perch or....wait for it, putting peanut butter on my bread!

Cheers

How about posting a group pic of the knives?

Cheers

Good choice buddy, I'm sure the other knives would have served ya perfectly well also but the Swamprat knives in SR101 are awesome. Crazy tough, superb edge holding and if ya do ever decide to sell them on very rarely do ya lose much money !

Now to send ya my addy for the Barkie !:D

I find it amusing how people can get so worked up on these threads. I'm not immune to the " worrying if my knives will break " syndrome which is why I don't feel too bad yanking other peoples chains a little.

If we just take a step back and look at what we are really talking about you have to give ya head a shake and smile eh !!!!

There are people dying all over the world in wars or starving to death and we stress over whether our knife will chip or go dull quick, in reality we all know that 90% of our tasks could be done with a Mora but if we all just carried a Mora and an Axe this would be one hell of a boring forum !:D

Well said Pit! My sentenments exactly. Truth is there is a lot of fashion statement about the knives we wear. A little bit of utility. A whole lot of using them - after the fact - since our consumer-crazed habbits have caused us to buy yet another blade....This next one....this next one....its the last one....It will be the ultimate......

Cheers

Well, you sure purchase high end blades! I'm going to say hold onto the collection you have and get a feeling for them. The kellam is basically a super nice Mora. Really try testing all of them out for a bit on a defined series of tasks. Then decide. Personally, I can't really tell if I like the ergo's of a knife until I do some sustained carving. Making a bowdrill kit is one of those activities for me that really lets me determine whether I like the feel of a knife or not. Find out what yours is!

Hey, also keep this up and you can just open up your own on-line knife-shop and sell knives for a living :D

I think Hlee really liked my tin can comment. :p

I watched an old documentary and saw an inuit taking apart a caribou with an ulu made from, yep you guessed it. I also saw some african bushman that grew out one of there thumb nails, sharpen it and use that to clean small game and birds. Hlee has said it better than I ever could, find a knife you like and learn how to get the most out of it. Chris

Kman, since you're so quick to adopt other peoples opinions as your own, and you're going to sell all three of these knives that, apparently, are garbage, I'll gladly take them off your hands. However, since they're shitty knives, I think you should sell the whole lot to me for $30 shipped.

-Nadz

Unfortunately the search function only appears to let me search my last 500 posts, otherwise I would provide a link to this :D

The internal search function only gives 500 results at a time. If you want to find your first post on Bladeforums you can use the advanced search options to search by date. Or you could choose to list results in ascending order instead of the default descending order.

Cheers

Kman, since you're so quick to adopt other peoples opinions as your own, and you're going to sell all three of these knives that, apparently, are garbage, I'll gladly take them off your hands. However, since they're shitty knives, I think you should sell the whole lot to me for $30 shipped.

-Nadz

i'll bid $35 for just the F1 and ESEE5!

shipped ofc.

Get a standard carbon Mora. Use it, and see what needs improving. Then you can start making a more educated decision.

The Dozier YPS is and awesome knife. If you combined it with the RatManDu you'll be set. The RMD can take some serious abuse but it wont cut like the F1 or B1 out of the box. A little work on the edge of the RMD makes a big difference. The RMD will do what you need it to do but doesn't have the dexterity of the B1 or F1 because the large choil puts the cutting edge away from your grip. If I was taking a smaller knife with me I would choose my RMD as a companion over the F1 or B1 .... my reason .... more distance between the grip and tip for batonning and I feel that it is just as tough as the laminated VG-10 and tougher than the A2 or CPM154 in the B1. Also the RMD has a really comfy handle. The negative will be of course that it will rust if neglected and it doesn't come with a sheath. In reality all of these knives are great. I've never heard of an F1 breaking and the percentage of B1 edge problems is low. I don't have any experience with the ESEE 5 but I've heard good things about it and know it is tough but doubt it cuts as good as the others.

G'day Tony

I personally would have preferred to have responded via a PT, but since PT's appears to be limited to 1000 characters, I'll reluctantly post my response here :eek:

Mic, I never really had a problem with you, and I feel you have a vast knowledge of wilderness and skill. However, you really feel that insulting other's areas or ideas of wilderness is going to prove something.

Yes Austarlia has vast areas of "wilderness" and it can be tough to get by, but you have no idea what it is like in subzero temps with 3-5 feet of snow on the ground. Allthough you think your trees are made of concrete, and ours are silly putty; you have never experienced using that wood while it was frozen.
You also don't have experience in some of our rain forrests, where you can spend days soaking wet and cold.

So before you go insulting our idea of wilderness, why don't you come on over and experience it first.

In the mean time, feel free to post your experience of your wilderness, but leave your antagonistic posts about others out of it.

Respectfully,

Tony

I wouldn't say I am insulting other areas of the world, but rather making my feelings known for those who are going to put me on ignore. After all they have passed judgement on me so why shouldn't I reciprocate? :D

Before I make further comment, I should point out that we have different temperature scales. You guys use farenheit and we use celcius.

Now back to your comments. What ever gave you the idea that I haven't spent time in the woods of the Snowy mountains during winter with temps below -10 degrees celcius (ie well below the freezing point of water)? It may be that this was in the time when I didn't have a digital camera (ie pre 2005).

Or are you making the erroneous assumption that all of Australia is hot & dry?

As you may have guessed, our snowy mountains are named because they actually receive snow :thumbup:

With regards to experience in rainforrests, are we talking about biomes that have a closed canopy, or are we talking about areas that receive a lot of rain irrespective of whether or not they are classed as tropical rain forrests or temperate rain forrests (whilst I have far more experience in temperate rainforrests that I do in tropical rain forrests, I can honestly say that I still have experience in both :D ).

I hope you are not inferring that I only have experience with outdoor venturing in warm & dry conditions. The post here should be enough to show this is not the case http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662553

If it's not, then let me know & I'll provide you with some more links :thumbup:

Besides, there's far less snakes & flies during winter :p

Take care Tony, I sincerly hope you & yours have a great Christmass & New years :thumbup:

Kind regards
Mick

Back