Getting Back to My Roots

As some of you may have read, I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately, and contemplated picking up a traditional slip joint. Now the question is, which pattern and maker.
I've been carrying a Victorinox Farmer for the past few years, and mostly a Victorinox of some sort before that and have grown to appreciate the utility they provide. I also find the 84-93mm's to be a good comfortable size for day to day carry.
So, I was thinking something in that size would be good, and maybe something with a little versatility. Not necessarily a scout pattern, maybe a whittler, or congress. I'd prefer carbon steel, and something in the price range of $50 or less. Made in the U.S. is preferrable as well. I'm not terribly picky when it comes to scale materials, but stag/jigged bone and yellow handles sort of speak to me.
I'm leaning toward one of the Case CV models, but was hoping you folks might be able to help with some recommendations. Seems they only offer a limited number of patterns and scale materials with CV blades.
There ya have it, something small(but not too small) to medium(medium-large perhaps) in size, carbon steel, traditional materials, and at or under the $50 price point. I'm all ears(err eyes?) as to what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance.

Gautier

Seeing anything you like?

TraditionalFolders1.jpg

TraditionalFolders2.jpg

The first two on the left are USA made (Moore maker three-backspring whittler in 1095, Queen Copperhead in D2), and the Case large stockman on the far right (CV steel).

The Moore Maker (unless purchased used) wouldn't make the $50 price requirement. One or more of the others might be just over but I haven't checked prices lately.

They're all great looking knives, to be honest. The two on the left do stand out to me a bit more though, as does the Case. Pretty sure a large stockman would get uncomfortable for me to carry, but I like the look of the scales. Amber Bone are they?
I know the Peanut has a large following and I was kind of looking at that, but I worry that it may be a bit small. Stockmans generally aren't my cup of tea but the Case medium stockman with pen blade instead of spey looks like a good example. I like the Congress and Seahorse Whittler and would be all over one of those probably if they came in carbon.
I should have added in the first post that this knife's primary function will most likely be whittling and ofcourse the pocket jewelry factor. I'll probably continue to carry the Farmer for all other tasks if that helps in the recommendations. Just seems a chore trying to narrow down the choices to just a few. :p Thanks again for the replies and help fellas.

Gautier

The Moore Maker (unless purchased used) wouldn't make the $50 price requirement. One or more of the others might be just over but I haven't checked prices lately.

Very true. Moore Maker does have some nice ones under the $50 limit though (or just a tad over :D): Trapper #5200B (under 4 inches too), Stockman 3-1/4" - Model 3300, Liner lock trapper #5160LLB.

For Queen, you have some choices: Canoe - ACSB (~$50), Copperhead (~$50), Mini-trapper (a little more than $50), etc.

Of course, there's Case. Can't go wrong with a Case!

They're all great looking knives, to be honest. The two on the left do stand out to me a bit more though, as does the Case. Pretty sure a large stockman would get uncomfortable for me to carry, but I like the look of the scales. Amber Bone are they?

Yes, Amber Bone. The edges needed some work, but the're all like that I hear. I agree on the "uncomfortable" comment; the size and the bolsters shape don't help in this department.

I've been happy with the fit & finish of the Bulldog (the one in the middle); I didn't use it yet, though. Not made in USA.

I edc the Boker medium bone scales Stockman since I got it, 2-3 months ago (time flies :eek:). Not made in USA either, but the quality is not bad at all.

I suggest you sign up for the BladeForums traditional knife (here's the thread); carbon steel medium stockman with stag (anywhere between $70 and ?)...

Last edited:
Alright, so I've narrowed it to Case, and either yellow scales or red bone. Now if I could only decide between the Peanut, Mini Trapper, and Medium Stockman. The stockman pattern stands out as being more versatile for whittling, at the same time though the peanut and mini trapper sort of remind me of my grandfather. Decisions, decisions...

Gautier

Elliott,

Two sizes of MooreMaker Yellow Delrin Stockman or Trappers definitely under $40.

Alright, so I've narrowed it to Case, and either yellow scales or red bone. Now if I could only decide between the Peanut, Mini Trapper, and Medium Stockman. The stockman pattern stands out as being more versatile for whittling, at the same time though the peanut and mini trapper sort of remind me of my grandfather. Decisions, decisions...

Gautier
If you like D2 check out Queen.
Full selection around the 45 to 55 range

Cant go wrong with a case in CV, just be careful if a yellow one bites you ;-)
I had some good experience with Boker as well.

Might as well pick up a peanut AND a stockman, you'll get the other one anyway :D

Peter

Gautier

Tell us a bit about your lifestyle/job, what sort of clothes you wear to work, etc. If you work in an office, I'd go Peanut. If you're outside in a more "hands-on" environment, got med. stockman or mini trapper.

Me, I work at a computer all day, so I tote a peanut 24/7. 'Course there are always 3 or 4 knives on my desk for me to fiddle with. ;)

I spend pretty much all my time outdoors when I'm not on here. At work clothes are usually jeans and a button up overshirt, Carhartt's, etc. At play it's usually the same or cargo pants and clothes more suited to the woods and hills.
After reading a bit more on the peanut, and seeing some size comparison pictures, I think it may be a bit on the small side for what I tend to do. Talked it over with the wife a bit about what she thought, and I'm happy to say I just ordered a Case Mini Trapper in CV with Yellow handles.
I just hope I don't develop that yellow fever that's been going around :p. Now it's just the arduous task of waiting 2-4 days for the postman to get here.

Gautier

What's with all the yellow Trappers lately?

Mine's supposed to be here Thursday or Friday... :D

-- Sam

I just hope I don't develop that yellow fever that's been going around :p.

If you do, I recommend one glass of good scotch whisky. If that doesn't work, repeat until it does or you fall asleep, whichever comes first.

Sounds like good advice, in fact, I think I may do that now. Just as a sort of preventative measure, you see. ;)

Gautier

Well, just got home and checked the mail. Lo and behold there was a priority mail box waiting for me. So, I rush in open it up, and fondle my new Case Mini Trapper with yellow Delrin handles. First impression, in a word, Wow.
I was a little skeptical of ordering a traditional pocketknife sight unseen, after having not carried one or even handled one for very long since my childhood days.
Overall fit and finish is nice, flush backsprings, good walk and talk, edge bevels only slightly uneven but sharp none the less. I'd have to say I'm quite happy with it, and it went straight in the pocket. If you ask me it was 30 dollars well spent, and I wouldn't and probably won't hesitate to purchase another Case.

Gautier

Back