Getting knives shippped to the US from UK

I have a knife coming from the UK and have a question.We,in the US don't have to pay the Import tax do we? I want to have the knife insured because it's a $1500 knife,and don't know if an incoming knife to the US is as much of a pain in the butt (import tax) as shipping one out to the UK. I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanks

It would depend upon the knife.
If was purchased through an established dealer or production company, you would have a tax levy. If the knife was made by a knifemaker, it would depend upon his excise forms.

The insurance is for the package, not for the unknown contents...value based insurance covers the package from loss or damage.

I ship packages to and from various points in Europe and always mark them "Art item" and to this point I have not paid or charged for a tax levy.

Did I help, or just show you how to break the law???

Dale

Thanks for the info Dale and Anthony.As for the helping me break the law-I never did need much help with that aspect.Not that I go there anymore ;) .The knife is a Lile Sly II,and it's coming from a private party :cool:

Technically, you do owe a tax on anything you import over $600 in a month. You and your spouse can bring in an aggregate $1,200 purchase/month TAX FREE! NOW, "art items" are always subject to wide fluctuations in market value, etc. etc. When bringing a knife into the U.S., lableing a custom knife as an "art object" ( WHICH IT IS!) can really alleviate ALOT of hassels with customs. For declaration purposes I've heard of people using the term "Used Cutlery" occaisionally. I've never had an issue with anything from Japan, the UK, Germany, Poland or Australia. Now, S. Africa is an entirely different kettle of fish. Getting money INTO S. Africa and getting knives OUT of S. Africa is a royal frigging hemorroid for both parties. Knifeart.com just goes over and picks them up. Des Horn ships from outside S.A. It's THAT bad.

Back