What Vise as First Shop tool

• Wilton 400S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yost FSV-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something Else (post in comment)

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
I have a wood workers bench vice on the side of my workbench. I'm considering getting a Vise as my first proper tool.

I would like this to be a one time purchase, ie: quality, not outgrow, won't be disappointed by slop etc.

I am considering:
Wilton 400S $710
https://www.trick-tools.com/400S-Wilton-Machinist-Bench-Vise-10016_7437
Yost FSV-4 $123
https://www.amazon.com/Yost-Vises-Heavy-Duty-Forged-Steel/dp/B00E8IWTHC

I can afford the Wilton, but it will put a several month delay in my next tool (most likely a drill press).

Question is: is the $580 premium on the Wilton Bullet worth it? Is the Yost any good? do you recommend a third option I haven't considered?

I used clamps and wood for a vice until I found a heavy Wilton on Craigslist for $75. Your profile doesn’t let me see where you’re from but normally Craigslist is a good place to find that piece of equipment for your shop. I would use that extra money to purchase something useful that needs more precision/is better purchased new.

Just updated my profile. I'm in Huntsville AL. I've been watching eBay, and at least the Wiltons are not much cheaper or look like garbage. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the reply!

I have 4 vises including a Wilton bullet, I've also had a Wilton 1765 (I think it was)
These vises are overkill IMO for the knifemaking work that I do.
I've bought all my vises used either on CL or auction.

What other tools do you have for knifemaking and what else is on your list?

Personally I would wait and get a used Wilton for about half the price of new and you will be somewhere in the middle of your expenditure.

regards

Read Nick Wheeler's posts or YouTube channel. He has wiltons but said he uses one vise on every knife. It looks like a China swivel vise. May not be but looks like it. Put a knife vise in it.

As other's have mentioned look for something on e-bay or Craigs list. I have a 4" vise that I think I paid maybe $40.00 for. It's worked quite well for my knife making needs. Also consider making a vise that is specific to knife making. If you do a search on here you should find several different types. They're all similar and fairly easy to make. I believe that's what Jesse Latham is referring to.

Thanks all. I am buying a tw90 2x72 grinder. It has a 6wk lead time. That will be my main tool while I try and get proficient at grinding. I don't have a drill press or a good vice. I have a marble flat slab, but really don't have much in the way of knife making tools yet. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm not seeing a lot on CL for vises.

I did a search on here for knife vise and didn't come up with anything like I was recommending. Perhaps my search-foo is lacking. At any rate, as Jesse Latham recommended check out Nick Wheeler's YouTube channel and also do a search for knife vise on YouTube and you will see what I'm referring to.

Have fun

It also depends on your prosess and the kind of knives you make.
I hardly ever use a vice. I have a medium size and small size machineclamp that I clamp to my work bench. They work for me.

I'd do without a vice but wouldn't want to do without a drill press.
In your case I would buy a decent machine clamp(app 5pounds), a drill press, good drill bits and a strong clamp.

Save the rest of your money, make some knives and buy what you end up needing

I have a cheap workshop vice and it does the job of any workshop vice
My next vice will be an old blacksmiths vice with a leg
Buy a cheap vice and drill press imo

If knife making is your Business and you can write off the cost on taxes buy the Wilton. Remember Wilton will probably only get in your pocket one time so they want to make as much as they can on new models. Wilton is like Rolls-Royce they are Nice But there is a perception of added value only by the name. I have a used Wilton and a No Name that perform the same functions neither of which outperforms the other....Put the extra money toward a High Quality Drill Press and Metal cutting Bandsaw you will use both of those items as much or more than a $700 vise.

I have a heavy duty 6" Chinese Wilton copy that IRC came from HF for around $50. It works fine for all knife tasks. I put copper jaw liners on it, and that works really well for clamping blades. Again, no need for the $80 to $150 Wilton copper jaw liners. The cheap $30 ones work the same. You can make them yourself from sheet copper, too.

I have a monstrous 150 pound+ old Wilton vise that I will put in the new shop, but it is really overkill for knifemaking.

This was my first vise (Wilton 5-1/2" off of amazon for $180): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXCR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great... I bought it before getting back into knifemaking. Wanted a solid vise to bolt onto my steel workbench.

I agree with Busto Busto I don't think an expensive vise is the best place to spend your money as a novice. Find a decent vise used.

Just my opinion...

Another option would be to spend that money on a cheap wire feed welder and build a knife vise with scrap steel. I use my knife vise wayyyy more than the bench vise when making knives.

Like this:

I have a wood workers bench vice on the side of my workbench. I'm considering getting a Vise as my first proper tool.

I would like this to be a one time purchase, ie: quality, not outgrow, won't be disappointed by slop etc.

I am considering:
Wilton 400S $710
https://www.trick-tools.com/400S-Wilton-Machinist-Bench-Vise-10016_7437
Yost FSV-4 $123
https://www.amazon.com/Yost-Vises-Heavy-Duty-Forged-Steel/dp/B00E8IWTHC

I can afford the Wilton, but it will put a several month delay in my next tool (most likely a drill press).

Question is: is the $580 premium on the Wilton Bullet worth it? Is the Yost any good? do you recommend a third option I haven't considered?
May I ask why you need vice ? It is last tool I will get if I start now making knives ............

Hm I really like the idea of welding a knife-vise but that is a skill I currently lack. I get that a drill press would be more useful. I think you all have convinced me to not spend $700 on a vise. My wife thanks you!

Right now I am not planning on making $$ making knives (although that may change if I get good enough). I'd like to give gifts to friends and family and they feel like they got an awesome custom hand-made knife.

If I go the drill press vise route should I get one that adjust on the X-Y plane or just a lock in place type?

You don't need any X-Y adjustments on most knife work. Just a sturdy quill and making sure it is square to the table.

If you need X-Y adjustments, use a cheap milling vise on the drill table.

As a hobby maker you need to consider what applications your drill press can handle. The best way to ruin a good drill press is to attempt to use it like a Mill...the bearings that support the Quill are not designed for lateral forces applied during milling!!! I can't think of a reason for X-Y adjustments unless you are milling.

Back