GH Khukri sharpness

I have a "tourist" khukri, and am now interested in one to use. Are GH khukris sharp enough for general use as purchased? Which model would be most "cost-effective" for a beginner who will do no heavy chopping with it? Any help will be appreciated!

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

AlaChoctaw,

The GH Khukuris that I have purchased (5 of them so far) came shaving sharp out of the box. The razor edge, as with any knife, will wear off with continued use, but the blade will remain "chopping sharp" for a long time.

With a decent stone, diamond hone, or sharpening system the egde can be brought back up with very little effort. I invested in a Spyderco Sharpmaker a few years ago and use it to sharpen everything that needs an edge (or a point). It's extremely user friendly and comes with everything you need to make things sharp.

As for cost effective - At $59.00, the Service #1 is a great bargain and excellent quality for money. For $10 more, you can get the World War model with a slightly longer handle and blade if these are considerations.

I have to admit that I bought my first Khukuri from GH because of budget limitations. I thought I'd get one to use and abuse until I could afford to spend the big bucks on a "better" one from another company. I opened the box to find a beautiful, display quality knife that has since taken all of the abuse I could give it. I've continued to buy from GH and can't find a reason to buy from anyone else.

Craig at GH has a policy that allows you to trade your blade in on another model if you feel a larger or smaller knife would better suit you needs. His Khukuris come with a full, no bulls**t, money back guarantee. You can't lose.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

As many people say on the forum, the only edge they trust is the edge they put on themselves. True, I ship the GH khukuris with a razor-sharp edge (unless otherwise requested), the razor-sharpness will often wear down with heavy chopping. Those customers prefer to do some burnishing to produce a slightly duller, albeit more durable edge. Yours shipped razor-sharp.

As for sharpening systems, a friend of mine, Peter Frye (and also one of my show-dealers) makes a ceramic sharpening system that he sells for $15.00. Can't beat the price, and they really work well (I have about a $50.00 system like Blackdogs, but I don't even bother to use it since Pete gave me one of his systems). I keep telling him to build a website or join the forum, but see, he doesn't own a computer. The guy worked for IBM for 15 years before getting burned out and escaping to the Shenandoa (spelling?) Valley to make knives for a living.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

How does one go about getting one of those 15 dollar sharpeners. (The gods know I don't need another sharpening device, but I want one.) I would be very interested in acquiring one...maybe you could deal them from your web site?

------------------
Real men ride Moto Guzzis!

I've thought of that before. I tell you what - I'll add them to the site by next week (when I add the sirupatis), and I'll do a posting on the forum announcing them. Does that sound okay?

I bought one of the early GH No 1 service models. It was indeed razor sharp. Heavy chopping quickly changed.

Will

Back