GH Mini & a stogie. Sometimes life is good!

I just opened a box that the Post Office delivered. Inside was the Mini-Jungle I ordered from Gurkha House and a cigar that Craig brought back for me from Nicaragua.

This Mini-Jungle is a sweet, sweet, sweet little knife. It has all of the attributes of its larger brothers but is scaled down to belt size. I can't get over how beautiful it looks and how good it feels in the hand. It has substance and weight in proportion to its size, but the balance lets it handle like a feather.

The blade is 7 3/4" long and 3/8" thick along the thickest portion of the spine. Overall length is 12 7/8 ". There is some scrolling and inlay work along the upper rear portion of the blade. Very nicely done. Overall fit and finish is excellent. The wooden handle melts into the brass cap and bolster like butter. There are no gaps, seams or rough spots. When I hold this knife, it feels like it grew there.

The sheath is well made and finished nicely in flat black. The frog is a single, wide loop and is of somewhat thinner material than I would have liked to see, but it will do the job without a problem. The 2 small utility blades are 3 1/2 inches overall and are really too small to be of much more than ornamental value. Fit and finish on the wooden handles and blades is average.

I love this knife. After handling my Service #1 and Panawal, this one is like picking up a puppy. A puppy with BIG TEETH. I'm going to pull out my Ka-Bar and the old Schlieper Bowie I carried for many years and do a comparison with the Mini. They're all in the same ballpark size-wize.

Oh Yeah, the cigar. I've been enjoying it while i've been writing this. It's a Vegas #5 Gran Reserve. Hand Rolled. It was 5" overall length and 5/8" in diameter. It smokes smooth, not harsh at all, and leaves a fine to very fine ash.

A good cigar and a sweet little knife in the same box on the same day. Sometimes life is really good. Thanks Craig.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

The cigar: a good find at an excellent price. I think I'll go smoke one now, as a matter of fact. Hmmmm. Tobacco. Doh!

Blackdog: the mini-jungle was enclosed so you'd have something to cut the cigar with - didn't want you to have to bite it.

So how does the mini feel compared with the Kabar ? If you're going to carry one blade, maybe a SAK too, which would you carry on a backpacking trip ? In the car ?

Craig, I had no idea you were a cigar smoker! You went to Nicaragua and didn't bring back and Habanos??? Shame on you! The 5 Vegas stuff is pretty good, generally. I celebrated my engagement last Thanksgiving by sharing a box of Piramides with my family. They were a big hit, and the price was great. For Craig and the other cigar guys here...try Padron and you'll be tasting the best cigars you've ever had in your life. I recommend the #2000 in Natural for your first one. Fantastic! And, BTW, I should be receiving a used Bhojpure any day now!

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Chiro: a cigar afficionado I am. I have never tried a Gurkha, but obviously must get one someday. As for the Nicaraguans, I did smoke a Padron, a presidente I think it was. Very, very smooth. I just couldn't beat the 5 vegas price, having schmoozed with the factory owner
smile.gif

I'll trade 3 "5 vegas vintage selection grand reserva double coronas" for an entry-level Opus (I've never had one before). Given retail prices of both, I think it's a good deal (of course, I'm making out like a bandit cause I paid less-than-retail for my cigars
smile.gif

No way, Craig! I bought a bundle of 25 5 Vegas Gran Resevra "double coronas" (they are coronas...not sure of how they came up with that designation...) for $26. Also I latched on to two boxes (10 each) of the piramides for $15 a pop when they usually retail for $50 each! Good deals can be had...I only have one Opus and it is the Perfecxion #5, a small petite corona. From what I understand they are absoultely overrated, but that sits on the same shelf as my small collection of Habanos, to be smoked at some never-forget occasion or something! I did notice that post a while back about the $40 khuks with no handles. If you want to set up a trade of smokes for khukuris, then you have a deal. I can produce a ncie list real quick-like! Bonus is that 90% of my cigars have been aged in my humidor for over a year, and who knows how old they were when they were in the store? In today's market of cigars they are coming to the shops way too early, so already being aged the minuimum amount makes a cigar worth its weight in gold. I've got some good stuff if you want to set up a trade of tobacco for steel. Just let me know...
Ahhh....it's been SOOO long since I've talked cigars! Feels good. Now if only my old lady would let me smoke one, dangit!
Let's see...knife content...the torcedors use ulu-like knives to shape the wrapper leaves of the cigar. How's that!?
wink.gif

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Marya has a simple rule: her or a cigar. So, most of the time, I choose number one. I'll get with you privately on the trade, and as we are talking about steel for tobacco, I don't have to draw in a knife reference to this post - it's already built in
smile.gif
BTW, those are great prices for 5 vegas. I paid that at the factory in Esteli, and I handed the cash over to Mr. Berger (the owner) himself.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back