Ghetto Grinds!

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Nate what the hell is a ghetto grind. Idiot.

I'm glad you asked!

32JpnwV.jpg

mvBaAJs.jpg

Q9QNwgn.jpg

JRKDJTy.jpg

We used the Basic 5" Field knife as a mule for both heat treat development in Magnacut and Cruwear and also some manufacturing process refinements. Like most experimentation that I do, it's largely a huge waste of time and resources. However, in this case rather than sink the prototypes in the creek we're going to grind the ugly off and sell them! With a really clean (Mark is a robot) 120 grit grind. An inexpensive "ghetto" satin.

We're known for a very nice hand satin grind. This isn't that. But if you're wanting a BFK and don't want the durable attractive highly functional tumbled finish and instead want to pay $20 extra to get a 120 grit hand ground (with genuine monkey meat interpolation) blade that will show sheath scratches real bad, you now have that option! They're a little thinner too. Because, you know, we ground them.

Also, I legitimately screwed up and put some sheets of linen micarta into the batch of canvas micarta (they got mixed up during the move and I didn't notice) so I figure I'll make those an option with these ground BFKs if you want it. There's not many so it will be first-come-first-serve.

20190702_214415.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man… Cruwear AND MagnaCut!? I think I’m going to have to keep my eyes peeled for these. I’m stoked you’ve already taken the time to start working out the wrinkles with the MagnaCut heat treat. I can’t wait to see how it performs on your knives!

P.S.
I sent ya a PM about that wood Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist . :)

"We used the Basic 5" Field knife as a mule for both heat treat development in Magnacut and Cruwear"

"We will not be offering Magnacut this year. Next year though!"

View attachment 1655746

He said that they used the Basic 5" Field Knife as mules to test the heat treat for MagnaCut and Cruwear and also to work out manufacturing changes on knives already in production. Then he clarified later that the sale will only be for the mules they used to work out manufacturing changes, i.e. 3v knives, and that no heat treat mule,s i.e. MagnaCut/Cruwear knives, will be available.

He said that they used the Basic 5" Field Knife as mules to test the heat treat for MagnaCut and Cruwear and also to work out manufacturing changes on knives already in production. Then he clarified later that the sale will only be for the mules they used to work out manufacturing changes, i.e. 3v knives, and that no heat treat mules i.e. MagnaCut/Cruwear knives will be available.
Yep, I am hyped for next year when he releases the CPM Magnacut models.

Back