Ghurka Steel Video - and other primitive forging stuff

Hello ello ello

Yikes my voice is bouncing off the walls!
I've been doing a bit of net research on primitive blacksmithing. I found a forum on neo Tribal forging techniques, and guess what? The "Bishwakarma Video" as they call it there, is a big hit!

It's interesting to see other folks doing knives in similar fashion to the kamis in Nepal. The forum moderator, Tim Lively, lights his fire with flint and steel, uses a handcranked blower and charcoal forge, and uses a piece of 4"x4" steel bar stock set in the ground as an anvil.

One of the topics on the forum is the use of steel cable to make wire damascus blades. A damascus khukuri - doesn't that sound interesting? And steel cable would be readily available to the kamis, I would think.

Dan, Johan, and anyone else listening, opinions?

Pat

Hi Outdoors,
This sounds neat! We were talking about maybe getting a video made of BirGorkha and the kamis at work over on the Himalayan Imports forum!!!! Do you have a link for that site you were talking about?
Thanks a bunch!:)

Originally posted by SkagSig40
Hi Outdoors,
This sounds neat! We were talking about maybe getting a video made of BirGorkha and the kamis at work over on the Himalayan Imports forum!!!! Do you have a link for that site you were talking about?
Thanks a bunch!:)

Hey Chris,
I saw the thread over at Uncle's place about a video. I didn't say anything there since GH appears to be (at least temporarily) offline. Anyway, the more videos the better, I think! The neotribal forum was members only at one point, but all you have to do is register, Tim seems to let everyone in. Here's a link:
http://pub88.ezboard.com/btheneotribalmetalsmiths

If that doesn't work directly from Tim's site:
http://www.livelyknives.com/
click on the site map (arrowhead photo), then on the primal fires logo. You may have to create an ezboards login, but it's about as easy as bladeforums.

Pat

Saw the discussion on HI forum about a video they would like to make. All I know is I've got my video about khukuri-making and enjoying every moment of it. Must have run through it a dozen times.

Johan, I like it too. I wish Craig would have made the second installment like he said he would. There was still a lot still left to see.

I agree, I'd love to see the kamis make say, a Cheetlang. Fullers, engraving, carving - probably the nicest of the GH knives. Though, something like the Panawal AK would be kool to see made, too.

Pat

Back