Giant Golden Orb Spider

I was going to ask in jest if they eat birds... but then I looked it up and they do!! :eek:

I thought that pic was BS optical illusion til looked it up. Horey sheet.:eek:

hqdefault.jpg

golden-orb-web-main.jpg

As mete said, the orb spiders around here are adorable black and yellow cuties.

These are the biggest spiders around here, Dock spiders. Related to the Wolf spider. Dock spiders really seem drawn to this bear skull. Killed 3 on it in one weeks time.

20151018_193947_zpsfnxvaco3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I almost ran through one of these last year cutting the grass but I saw it just in time. The get around 5"-9". The boys are tiny and brown. We watched a boy for a day or 2 trying to mate the top one. Didn't see any interactions, but once we looked back and he was missing legs, then the next time he was dead just hanging on the web

I do believe those are called banana spiders in Florida where I grew up... yea large and in charge.

The op spider is pretty beautiful.
I'm not exactly afraid of spiders, but that one would have me a little freaked.

I love walking out in our yard at night with a flashlight. The wolf-spiders' eyes catch the light like the eyes of a dog or cat. You can see thousands of sparkles summer nights around here as you pan the light across the grass.

That is a whole lot of Nope!

Yeah these ones we have here aren't very poisonous I don't think, but they are very aggressive. I know somebody that walked into one hunting and it bit him about 6 times on the neck and shoulder. They are really easy to see in daylight or flashlight, but they are a lot easier to miss in low light or shadow.

Everything seems to be deadly in Australia :eek:

Nope, Nope, Nope, NOPE!!! :eek:
I just found another reason to have a short Butaniku...
You stay on your side of the world Mr. Spider and I won't chop you to bits!!! :D

But honestly it does not hold a candle to what we have here in the USA. I mean look at this one.

This is just about as nasty as animals get.

Nothing down under compares.

hillary-clinton-totally-looks-like-the-raptor-from-jurassic-park.jpg

And this one may look sweet, but be wary

122.jpg

These are much more horrifying than the Spider!!!
But honestly it does not hold a candle to what we have here in the USA. I mean look at this one.

This is just about as nasty as animals get.

Nothing down under compares.

hillary-clinton-totally-looks-like-the-raptor-from-jurassic-park.jpg

And this one may look sweet, but be wary

122.jpg

These are the biggest spiders around here, Dock spiders. Related to the Wolf spider. Dock spiders really seem drawn to this bear skull. Killed 3 on it in one weeks time.

20151018_193947_zpsfnxvaco3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

I suppose it's none of my business, but why do you kill them?

Back