Giant Spear Vala- Two Worlds Collide

Im going to present these fine works of art together for the obvious reasons. I know yall are steel guys but they really go together nicely. Sorry it took so long to photograph these but today saw some sun so Voila!...er.. Vala!!!

First is a Purna made Giant Spear Vala in 5160 spring steel (GCB for scale). My first Purna with a Kami mark! My First Prize Purna is unmarked so I had to get another:D What can I say about this monster with teeth on both sides of its head.

44 ounces
Blade length= 12.0"
OAL-19.5"
Max blade width= 3.54"
Blade width at ricasso= 1.81"
Blade thickness at ricasso= .367"
Blade thickness 1" from tip= .318
Khullness factor = 10.0+
Brass furniture
Dark Satisal Handle

006b9b4d0d048b3fe35079cc61ae4263

Second but not least is Spear Vala AKA Turkey feather made by a good friend from Texas from an amoeba shaped piece of Georgetown flint. I gave him a big piece of funky shaped flint and told him to just bust it up and make something. I told him you can have it but you gotta let me watch hoping id learn something. That I did! Awesome job my friend!

4.6 ounces
blade length= 7.50"
max blade width= 2.71"
blade width at ricasso= .385"
blade thickness 1" from tip= .302
Khullness factor = 10.0+
No furniture
Palm Meat Handle- no scabbard.
Scarry freekin sharp!

39a0358b2d60f32e045a4818480d686d

9b2e2a266b50b6d393d60da336e3a8a5

Both are about the same thickness and equally sharp believe it or not. I wouldnt want either of them blades between my ribs.

f022431dce6f225caa6719c3bff6db20

Valas in their own time and materials. Both exquisitely crafted to the finest detail.:thumbup:

06b35d66d2890c619feb5671afa2b3c4

Them fullers are just ridiculously beautiful and on both sides:p

832f985055c7064025febd7168bfb4b0

d9f377643eabdf73c480b062d219cf25

Two amazing craftsman! Steel and stone! Enjoy my friends!

Wow!!! That is an outstanding spear you have. The metal looks almost liquid. The handle is flawless... I can honestly say it's one of the finest HI pieces I have seen to date. Museum quality. Thanks for posting Ndog

Great flint blade!
That one is sharp as heck too. I hate to handle it even because im afraid ill break it or it'll break me. You have to treat them just like the sharp knife they are because they are sharp on both sides just like the Vala. Im impressed beyond with his work too.

gb: your right that fullering is museum quality stuff. It almost looks like a painting in the picture it so perfect. You cant tell the distal taper so much because both sides are sharpened but you can sure feel it in the balance. Its a bit forward heavy as expected. I suppose it would chop a leg off with no problem. Ouch!

Still trying to wrap my head around how to use a blade with no handle that is sharpened all the way around both sides... I'm guessing the answer to that though is, "very carefully."

Still trying to wrap my head around how to use a blade with no handle that is sharpened all the way around both sides... I'm guessing the answer to that though is, "very carefully."
I wondered the same thing. I believe they must have used a piece of hide or wrap to hold it with but not sure. It may even be mostly a ceremonial style or "dance" blade. You could definitely skin a buffalo or mammoth with it. May of the knives like that had cord wrap around one end and they just dangled it at their waist but they often had corner tang notches to hold the cordage. .Ill see if I can find out more about it.

That flint is a thing of perfection. How long does it take to achieve something like that?
It took him the good part of a six pack to get that one done. Maybe even a few shots of some homemade chokeberry wine. Id say about three or four hours probably. The rock at start was about 8 pounds, 2" thick and maybe 10" long. I cant even see all the detail on it unless I magnify it. He made these little tiny tick marks alternating from each side to make the serrations. No doubt it would slice right through a thin sheet of paper.

Great pix and post, thank you for sharing

Very nice blades, Kamidog. You should be justly proud of your collection.

Great pix and post, thank you for sharing

Back