Giant titanium alloy axe w/ special guest, medium axe

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We have here a large multi-alloy titanium axe, along with a medium model. These two axes are the finale of the ti axe testing phase, which, naturally, includes a huge version of the damn things! It had to be done. Somebody had to do it. :D

Both have a welded bit of titanium-niobium sword alloy, forged and heat-treated, on a body of grade 38 armor plate ti at about 1/4" thick. Both also have a convex grind.

The big one is 43" oal, at a weight of 4.5 lbs spread throughout its large frame. The medium one is 23" oal at 2.3 lbs

During testing, the big axe was easily able to fell medium sized alder trees even with my tepid, unsure cuts, and can sever a sapling or small tree in one cut, yet is sharp and keen enough to cut grass stalks.

Having made and tested a dozen or so axes by hand, the finalized versions will be made more efficiently, with waterjet cutting, etc. and will not have welded bits and that fancy stuff. Not saying I won't make any more the hard way, but I have swords to make and they don't leave much left in me for axe work. Pain in the arse.

Both of these things are quite sharp and very effective. The smaller one has a bison hide BDSM mask made by Ms. Oye.

o43woHi.jpg

IIwwlV0.jpg

f2hBR6j.jpg

Ly9IpEm.jpg

oPGZtFF.jpg

bdTF4Jq.jpg

2HHMVbD.jpg

d2gwG4C.jpg

4trHGD7.jpg

jRBKSaV.jpg

CLHVPQs.jpg

XeV86LH.jpg

aNxAR8U.jpg

There was a fellow at Blade Show West who kept saying, in regards to the big one, "how nice that would look on my wall." Well, it would also look pretty nice cutting wood, clearing limbs, and/or driving your enemies before you and hearing the lamentations of their women. It's a real tool, albeit an eccentric one.

those are both awesome looking, and it would be a damn shame to just hang them on the wall. That being said, if you were to do that, you'd only ever have to wipe the dust off when it comes to maintenance. No matter how many times your home floods

I really like the handle and sheath work, Mistress Oye is kicking ass

those are both awesome looking, and it would be a damn shame to just hang them on the wall. That being said, if you were to do that, you'd only ever have to wipe the dust off when it comes to maintenance. No matter how many times your home floods

I really like the handle and sheath work, Mistress Oye is kicking ass

Thankee. The handles were done by me, she made the little axe mask.

Why not weld a bit of steel to the edge? Other than weight and corrosion resistance, what is the advantage of TI?

Why not weld a bit of steel to the edge? Other than weight and corrosion resistance, what is the advantage of TI?

Can't weld steel to titanium.* The advantage is light weight and corrosion resistance, and flexible toughness, while still being able to hold an edge like steel.

*except with explosion bonding

pure awesome.

big one is complete bad arse, but little one just as bad arse.. plus the missus cover is bad arse as well. just all bad arse..

Can't weld steel to titanium.* The advantage is light weight and corrosion resistance, and flexible toughness, while still being able to hold an edge like steel.

*except with explosion bonding

You could use explosive welding!! Though, I don't know if that would work for a sanmai or triple layered sheet.

Mecha using explosives would be fun!!!

Well, it would also look pretty nice cutting wood, clearing limbs, and/or driving your enemies before you and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Prozactly the tasks I was considering as I eyeballed these two.

Beautiful stuff there.

Back