gift: friend needs a knife for cold weather hiking/climbing

My best friend is climbing Longs Peak again. Only this time he's doing it in the winter. Been friends for damn near 15 years and I want to make sure he's got a good blade to go up with, ensuring that he comes down OK.

He's satisifed with the $20 for 5 Chinese crap knives for work but because of his interest in Japanese blades respects quality and understands WHY I keep bugging him to get a good blade. Around the warehouse those bargain knives are OK, but out in the wilds he should have something better. Well its Christmas time and he's getting a good knife wether he wants it or not. The peak is not considered a climbing course per se, but an ice axe, crampons, and a saftey line are reccomended for all hikers. The trails are narrow and will be snow and ice over rock.

He will be wearing gloves the entire time, the knife needs to open, not slip, and close with gloves on. The sheath or clip must be able to secure to a pack or cold weather outerwear. Weight is also a concern, the lighter the better.

I'm assuming this knife will be used to prepare/eat meals, cut rope, and cut bandages. The climb is mostly above the treeline and they're using stoves, so a woodland knife may not be the best choice. The knife might see use as an emergenxy spike or handhold, hopefully not, but its better to overbuy than die. I'm shooting for a fixed blade under 9" OAL or a folder no larger than 6" closed, those are the top limits.

Right now I'm thinking of these knives:
CRKT Hammond ABC - desinged for divers and rafters, similar grip conditions, colder climates
CRKT Ryan Plan B - No finger holes to deal with, many sheath mounting options
CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion - everything except lousy grip. It'll slip if its damp or gets snow/ice on it.
Maybe a Cold Steel lockback, they should hold the weight and a lockback is more operable with gloves on
Spyderco - the Spyderhole and lockback are a plus with gloves.

Comments? Suggestions? Please tell me if I'm making too many/too few assumptions about the conditions. Of course I'm trying to pry this info outta my friend in such a way that he won't figure out I'm getting him a knife. Your help is appreciated.

You have listed some contradictory requirements, but I'll give it a shot.

For clip-ability to outerwear, I'd recommend the Snap-it or Remote Release from Spyderco.

I would not recommend ANY folder for use that might include an icepick/handhold, ESPECIALLY a liner lock.

I have a Plan B, and it is a cool knife, but designed for self defense, not hiking or utility. I would not recommend for your purposes.

Sounds like you need a strong, small FB, but that's not my area of expertise.

unless there was no other choice, i would never carry a linerlock or framelock knowing that i would have to use it with gloves on. its just plain hard to do and my attention could be needed elsewhere. how 'bout an FRN endura? lightwieght, big spydie hole for opening, and lockback with boye detent to prevent accidental closing. your friend could even put a zip tie through the spydie hole to "wave" it open out of his pocket, combining drawing and opening the knife inot one simple step. the volcano grip on it should stay secure in his hand during use. its even got a lanyard hole so he could tie a lanyard to it and attach it to a pocket, or zipper.

Kenny

how does the lock compare to linerlock/lockback when used with gloves on?

Kenny

I just tried it with some gloves on and closing it definitely takes two hands. Opening, is a breeze one handed though.

Originally posted by RH
You have listed some contradictory requirements, but I'll give it a shot.

I would not recommend ANY folder for use that might include an icepick/handhold, ESPECIALLY a liner lock.

I have a Plan B, and it is a cool knife, but designed for self defense, not hiking or utility. I would not recommend for your purposes.

Sorry about the requirements, but I'm shooting for 2 outta 3 or 3 outta 5 or however it breaks down. Really just throwing out some ideas for percieved requirements.

The icepick/handhold requirement is an possible emergency use. If I catch one of my friends using a knife like that regularly they'll find out how well it works to cut off toenailss :D .

Take a look at Spyderco's clip it line, especially the Endura and the Delica. Find an appropriate tool to use as an ice pick and one to use as an emergency hand hold. A folding knife is not the right tool for either job.

But what about a small fixed blade knife? I'm sure that would be easier to manipulate with gloves on. A kydex sheath that you could clip/lash to your jacket, neck or pack harness? I'd suggest anyone of Bob Dozier's knives. No nonsense, just a good hard working knife.

What about the Spyderco military? It's designed to be used with gloves on (textured grips, big spydie hole etc) and it can surely take abuse. Not sure on the ice picking or whatnot...

N2

If you really want a folder, go with one of the Spydercos. The Snap-It or Remote Release are probably the best choices for climbing knives, while the Endura or Military are great all-purpose knives.

For this kind of work a fixed blade would be my first choice. Take a look at the Spyderco Temperance for a great general-purpose outdoor knife. Or think about one of the Beckers, either the Crewman or the Combat/Utility would do well.

Finally, if you're willing to spend the money, you can't possibly do better than a Bob Dozier custom. Look at his General Utility (K-1), Companion (K-6), and Wilderness Knife (KS-7) first.

--Bob Q

Since he needs a tough, durable, secure blade more than a big, heavy chopper, I'd say the Becker Crewman or Campanion would do fine.

Think about the Benchmade River Rescue. Big enough for utility cutting. Very stainless steel won't need constant cleaning in the field. Good sheath for gloved hands and flexible attachment capability. Like the Beckers, relatively inexpensive since a new guy out in the wilds shouldn't have to worry about how much the knife cost. :)

On a slightly different note, camp knives aren't always the most useful knives in camp. Multiblades often are. And multitools are even better. Take a look at the Leatherman SuperTool 200 for general utility and repairs. Notice the usual tools plus: saw and file.

this is actually a situation in which I would recommend a Cold Steel Kobun in AUS8 blade steel (http://www.coldsteel.com/171.html). It is lightweight, the sheath is very secure, the handle is grippy, I have used it for camping and it works very well for almost any task, and in an emergency you could rely on it as a spike/handhold better than any folding knife. That tanto tip can really chip some ice if necessary, and being a FB gives it extra leverage too. I think it's about 9" OAL length. Look for one FS or FT on these forums, I think I've seen one recently. I really think this knife would do your friend well. The Beckers are good knives but they are much bilkier & heavier than the Kobun, and climbers hate bulky/heavy.

Another alternative, and what I gavce to a climbing friend, was a Cammillus Arclite - very lightweight and handy. But not so good in cold and adverse weather conditions, with gloves on, as the Kobun would be. EDITED TO ADD: cold + gloves means he'll need a knife with a large and grippy handle. Dropping a knife on the climber below you can really put a damper on the outing.

I would go for a Spyderco Fred Perrin, its VG10 blade is quiet versatile and strong enough to withstand some bad or unusual treatment. It has a good length (5 in. OAL is 9 3/8 in.) though it is really lightweight, and with the deep coil in the handle, it won't slip nor drop from your hand if you don't want it to (THAT is a real sticker :D ).
Further more, the sheath is really great, once the knife is clicked in it, it stays in it, and the Tekloc allows a great variety of position for carrying

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I just need to sort through them all. I just HATE looking at pages and pages of knife pictures and specs. :D

If you can find one (they have recently been DC'd), a Gerber Yari would be an EXCELLENT choice.

For cold weather climbing you should look at fixed blades . One hand to open , one hand to close . Also , rubber handled knives are much better in cold weather with or without gloves on .

Take a look at Swamp Rat Knife Works , along with Fallkniven and (if you have the $$$) Mad Dog Knives .

Back