Recommendation? Gift suggestion: this or that?

What should I get my nephew?

• CA31304 CASE XX Sawcut Chestnut Bone Damascus Steel Mini Trapper

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • 4380D Kershaw Double Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi. My nephew just graduated from college, and I'm trying to pick a nice knife for him. I am hoping to get some advice from people that know knives, cause I don't.

I wanted something good for EDC: a traditional-looking folding pocket knife about 3.5 inches in length closed that has two blades (one being Wharncliffe or sheepfoot). While looking I've been drawn to Damascus steel because the big Buck knife my dad gave me has that. Trying to get something that he can carry and use, but that could become a family heirloom he can pass down to his son some day.

I've found a couple:
  1. the CA31304 CASE XX Sawcut Chestnut Bone Carbon Damascus Steel Mini Trapper
  2. the 4380D Kershaw Double Cross (about thirty dollars more)
Please help me decide. Which would you want? I need some wisdom.

The kershaw is not going to get many votes round here because of those ulp ulp heeeaauuurrkkk....thumbstuds.
Have a look at GECs 81 Abilene Bull Moose.

Just so you know - you are asking the Traditionalists of the knife world on this sub-forum to give you a recommendation - you will get 50 answers recommending 50 different traditional pocketknives! You will be confused - but you won't go wrong with any of the suggestions. OH

I would go with the Case you have chosen OR I'll throw in the new Buck 110 Folding Hunter Pro - the traditional lock-back taken to a higher level.

Buck_110_Folding_Hunter_Pro_1.jpg

I think the Wharncliffe mini trapper is an excellent pattern. It is a good size with two very different blade configurations that should handle most cutting and slicing tasks. I have the "Select" model in Winterbottom-jigged brick red bone and it is one of my favorites. The Damascus version sounds like quite an upgrade and should be a beautiful knife. (A couple of days ago a saw a 6.5 "bone-stag" version in a store and almost bought it and I may yet go back for it -- I like the pattern that much -- even though there are probably better uses for my knife budget.)

Keep an eye on the CK Lionsteel Roundhead/Shuffler to. A nice modern traditional. (Voted Case between your two choices :thumbsup:)

I wish my uncle would gift me a Case :)
Thats my vote.

It appears that the Kershaw double cross is discontinued, and not widely available (I did not say that it is unavailable); so your decision could be made for you.
Does your nephew like two bladed traditional knives? If so, does he like them on the same end, or opposing. (As an example, I very much prefer single bladed knives; but, if I'm going to have two blades, I want them on opposing ends...so I prefer a half whittler/congress style over a trapper.)

c065vfI.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the Case as well. It's a perfect knife to gift someone. You really can't go wrong with that choice.

Back