Gillette Super Speed

I see a few posts on here about straight razors, but does anyone use any "vintage" safety razors? I myself use a 1970 (birth year) Gillette Super Speed. I like is so much and always brag about my shave so much that my Dad wanted one. After some searching and scouring, I found him a MINT 1950 (his birth year) Gillette. His is so clean it came with the original plastic case and the blue razor pack!! He loved it. I don't know who was happier, him or me. We always use the Feather blades. I have always heard they were the best and sharpest. I get an amazing shave with NO irritation.

Anyone else use something neat besides the disposable stuff made now?

These are the razors in my rotation. All modern except my birth year Fatboy which I had re-plated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376591305.770943.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376591353.520731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376591368.004363.jpg

Jeff

Here's my vintage stuff. Used 'em all before they went into collection status.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376596935.814661.jpg

The Redtip is probably my favorite of the SS models because of the extra weight. Super shave with a fresh Feather!

Jeff

Thanks to the OP. I've asked the same question concerning DE's in our collections. The Superspeed is an excellent razor. I own a birth year '53 40's style and a
'61 Flare Tip that are in my rotation along with modern Merkurs, and both light and sturdy. I use IP (Israeli Personna) Reds which deliver a great shave. Here's a pic of my little shave den:

1936 Gillette open comb tech for me, great little razor. right now I'm using Gillette 7Oclock blue packs (russian I think). But I do rotate around a bit, and I like to keep a few feathers in the stockpile, great special occasion shaves from them.

WOW!! Those are some beautiful razors. This is neat stuff. I look at it like this: we all have to shave, might as well make it enjoyable. Turns a mundane necessity into an enjoyable experience.

Keep em coming!

Thanks. Here's more of my BD Y3 Superspeed: I got lucky, this is a nice razor.

I shave daily with a 1959 Gillette 195 Adjustable......commonly known as the Fatboy.

Best shave and skin of my life.

damn.. ya'll have some nice vintage razors.. im gonna have to get my self one. just yesterday i tried to shave 3 weeks worth of growth with a disposable razor.. took me 5 razors to get it all... 5!!!

Haha I had the same problem.

I use haircut clipper to tackle the hair then shave with disposable.

but these shavers look interesting.

damn.. ya'll have some nice vintage razors.. im gonna have to get my self one. just yesterday i tried to shave 3 weeks worth of growth with a disposable razor.. took me 5 razors to get it all... 5!!!

So go get yourself an old Gillette. (Or a new Merkur.) They're affordable and don't cost much, and do a heckuva lot better than disposeables (that you have to throw out.) A great place to learn more is http://www.badgerandblade.com/

I like adjustables--I use either a Gillette Slim Adjustable or a Merkur Futur---depending on the mood---my Super Speeds and Merkur 38 sit mostly unused---the 38 sees some neck time when I cut my hair--mainly because of the longer handle.

Interestingly enough, I have a brand new Merkur that I bought. It doesn't shave as well as my 1970 Super Speed. My SS seems like it is a closer, softer shave. I haven't used a disposable in quite a while. I can't see myself ever going "modern" again. :)

Curious to know what model Merkur you have. I like my Y3 ('53) Superspeed, but my 37C Slant beats the pants off of anything else in my collection. Maybe in second place is my modified Progress (Mergress) due to its adjustability. Oddly; with these modern razors my vintage ones don't get a lot of use, so YMMV. :cool:

I have been contemplating on going to one of those safety razors for almost two years now but havent done it. I guess I always get mixed reviews on which one to get and at what price point to find myself in as well as which blades to get for it so for now I still use a Pro Glide with cartridges.

Sir_Mike; you'll save a lot of money and have a face with less irritation with either a new DE razor like a Merkur HD, or an old classic like a 40's style Gillette Superspeed. After the initial investment of safety razor, and maybe a brush (assuming you don't own one) the replacement blades cost pennies and not dollars. End result for many of us is a smoother longer lasting shave. Online there's a great place called Badger and Blade you should look into...!

Sir_Mike; you'll save a lot of money and have a face with less irritation with either a new DE razor like a Merkur HD, or an old classic like a 40's style Gillette Superspeed. After the initial investment of safety razor, and maybe a brush (assuming you don't own one) the replacement blades cost pennies and not dollars. End result for many of us is a smoother longer lasting shave. Online there's a great place called Badger and Blade you should look into...!

That is what I am after, a cheaper and better shave! :) I will check out those two, the Merkur HD and Gillette Superspeed. Is the place you listed a place to get them or just for reading? If you know of a place that has good prices, please let me know.

What blades should I get? Oh yeah, I would have to get the brush, cup and bar too! :D

After years of trying 20+ vintage razors I have scaled back to 4 really good shavers. I sold all my Fatboys, Slims, etc.. They all shaved well, but didn't get much use. I sort of stick to what really works well these days.

8zoioh.jpg

Attachments

• currentden.jpg
    currentden.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11
Very nice setup! :D

After years of trying 20+ vintage razors I have scaled back to 4 really good shavers. I sold all my Fatboys, Slims, etc.. They all shaved well, but didn't get much use. I sort of stick to what really works well these days.

8zoioh.jpg

Back