Give me your thoughts...

I don't generally like assisted opening knives.

There are a ton of youtube vids on how to de-assist one. Plus quite a few posts on BF. So don't let that keep you from checking out the 581 or 586. One of the best knives that BM produces (IMO). It is not often you can get m390 steel for those prices. The regular Barrage and is nice too. Never tried a Volli but I heard good things.

Problem with removing the A/O springs is the need to take the knife apart. I'm no slouch when it comes to maintenance, but I find attempting this process just-too-daunting. So I leave mine as is. When the gent above said "Never tried a Volli but I heard good things." You should try this knife, it's the better Barrage. Much softer opening and once worked in is easy to close one-handed.

Problem with removing the A/O springs is the need to take the knife apart. I'm no slouch when it comes to maintenance, but I find attempting this process just-too-daunting. So I leave mine as is. When the gent above said "Never tried a Volli but I heard good things." You should try this knife, it's the better Barrage. Much softer opening and once worked in is easy to close one-handed.

C'mon Joe! Live a little. Deassist that thing!:D

Last edited:
Just to give you guys an update. I ordered a 940 Osborne today. I know I know, I said it was too pricey. Honestly though, that knife design is what got me seriously interested in Benchmade, so I bit the bullet. I also ordered it's big brother the 950 Rift though! :) I had a Rift and was really warming up to it when I got an offer on it I couldn't refuse.

Decided against the 710 for now as I love the handle but prefer more belly to my blade and wasn't sold on the recurve in the blade. Also got this in today. I bought it and realized I bought the BIG version. Had it listed for sale here but now that I've got it in hand it's perfect. REALLY dig this one.

IMG_20140402_164405_zpsf0bemnx1.jpg

Call Benchmade tomorrow and ask for them to ship you a Contego clip and or a black non-painted clip for the 940. The stock one sucks. They will send it out no questions asked.

Also bought a Griptilian off of the knife exchange. :thumbup:

Back