Giving EKI a new try

after a disappointments with a Horseman a couple of years ago, I have decided to give a new try the EKI in 2019

I really like the knives but the operation - both detent and lock - have been very disappointing on muni previous knife

I have justplaced an order for a basic CQC-7aw

Can you tell me about yours?
Is it something special to care about in order to “optimize” the way it works?

When have those been released?
Rolling change, and apparently not every model will receive this change. I've seen Commanders, 7's, A100 and Horseman off the top of my head with this change. And the majority of the Signature Series folders have been single detent. New production models are also likely to be that configuration (Seax, Tiger, Kwaiken, etc).

I have placed an order at an authorized dealer
I will check the configuration when I receive the knife

For sure the double detent have not convinced me on my Horseman

Not trying to be discouraging, but it's entirely possible they are not for you. I've never had lock or detent issues. But I may be expecting something completely different than you regarding their function, action, etc. I think Emersons are a hard sell/switch for people who love flippers or butter smooth bearing knives. They simply just aren't going to work like those knives.

What specifically gave you trouble with the detent and lock?

I have not been lucky with my previous EKI.
The blade was opening when shaking the knife, the lock was very weak and easy to fail, etc...

But I will check the new one

after a disappointments with a Horseman a couple of years ago, I have decided to give a new try the EKI in 2019

I really like the knives but the operation - both detent and lock - have been very disappointing on muni previous knife

I have justplaced an order for a basic CQC-7aw

Can you tell me about yours?
Is it something special to care about in order to “optimize” the way it works?

I highly recommend you pull the blade out and clean the crappy stock copper flecked grease off the blade and pivot + area.

Then replace the grease with a higher quality lube of your choice.

I still don't quite understand what the issue is/was. But, I remember the OP posting something similar before, and it seemed to revolve around using the knife in a way that is not intended for a folder. Or in a way most of us would not use our folders.

I have never had a single issue with any folding knife. But, I only use them as folding knives. Not as fixed blades.

Run it dry. Also, yes the single detents are much better. Though on the doubles you can adjust the detent to your liking though it might not be "centered". I have had a few with little to no detent but adjusted it and it worked like a dream. just as smooth as about anything else I could ask for.

I still don't quite understand what the issue is/was. But, I remember the OP posting something similar before, and it seemed to revolve around using the knife in a way that is not intended for a folder. Or in a way most of us would not use our folders.

I have never had a single issue with any folding knife. But, I only use them as folding knives. Not as fixed blades.
There is a little bit of that
I really like the design of M. Emerson and his approach on knives

I think I understand the difference between fixed and folding blades

I honestly think I was unlucky with my first experience with my Horseman
But to be clear the particular Horseman has issues none of my 40+ knives never had

I would like to build a new experience and just try to collect some experience from users to make sure I can turn this second knife into a great experience

I didn’t know they have moved away from the double detent
I think it should be a good thing

I should get the CQC7 within next week, I will let you know my feelings

I have received my CQC7 today and I had the opportunity to play a little bit with it

My first impressions are very positive.
It has nothing in commun with the Horseman I had a couple of years ago

No lock stick, the blade does not open when you shake the knife and doesn’t close when you push or lightly shock the back of the blade

The model I have has a double detent
That is interesting to see how different it is of my previous EKI
For me it confirms that my previous one was a lemon ;)

It is stiff but I will give it a break in period.

I am not sure if I will like the Teflon washers, did any one replaced the Teflon washers on their Emerson with prosperous bronze washers?

Does it improve the action and if yes what size have you used?

Thanks for you comments and ROE about EKI

I am very happy to have a new knife to try

I'm happy that overall you are happy.

I am not concerned with action or smoothness really, which I guess is obvious considering my knife of choice (and the fact I have exactly two flippers). So, I have not switched washers on any of my Emersons. I have had a Po'Boy done with bearings (very smooth, but it now feels Un-Emerson-y). I do prefer a knife to not be frustratingly stiff, so I have had two Super7's I had to loosen the pivot.

After almost 1 week my knife to break in smoothly.
I has required some cleaning and lubrification but it has now a nice action. Nothing like CRK or ZT but different and in his own style.
I like it.

I have had various small issues with all Emerson knives but to me they are all easy fixes with minimal tinkering. To me getting an Emerson is like getting a used gun.... strip it, clean it up and back together it goes. Lock stick works its way out with use and graphite. I tinker with the detent till I get the retention I want without too much drag on opening and keeping a centered blade. Too little tension and the blade will open by itself or shake out and may be off center. Too much and it is harder to deploy, may be off center the other direction and drags. Adjust the pivot to get smooth action and no play. One or two adjustment tries usually has me happy. Clean out any grit, light lube and I have always been pleased. This is usually with used Emerson knives as one never knows what they have been through. New ones from the factory have needed less adjustment but may not be perfect for everyone.

As i have tried to explain earlier I really like the approach of Emerson in designing his knives
I have been very disappointed by a previously knife I had and I was really looking to get one that will be fine

So far my new cqc7aw is a homerun.
Not the same feeling s on a CRK or ZT, etc.
But all together it is a knife that make sense
I like it very much

I have placed an order for a bigger thumb disk, but that is more pimping than anything else ;)

Back