Glass blasted frame vs standard

blackend

Gold Member
Showing my friend my new Elforyn inlayed large, he asked about the new glass blasted frame and how I like it compared to the standard rough blasted handle on my black micarta inlayed large? I had not really noticed at first that they were finished differently, as my tanto has been in the safe for a bit. After the exam, I have to say that the glass blasted finish is much nicer and I really can appreciate it. Looks better, feels better. Any one else like it or care to comment?…IMG_1267.jpegIMG_1258.jpeg

I really like the glass blast too. It's the best finish for hiding snail trails and is very smooth. If your going for more of a worn knife look the standard blast would be better.

I have a large sebenza in both the standard finish and the glass blast. One day I prefer the standard finish, the next day I prefer the glass blast. For that reason, I would recommend having both!

Guess I get pocket slide easier if there were no inlays, i.e. plain titanium.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of the glass blast also. Less visible wear but still does wear over time, and doesn’t tear up your pocket as much. I still do like the sand blast and the weathered look does look great. Of course the solution is to have both!

Also for the inlays, I like having a more durable finish for the non micarta inlays since they can’t be re-blasted. I think it would be nice if the unique graphics had the lock side glass blasted, maybe they will in the future.

I had a glass blast for about 4 hours before I traded it. I guess I’m old school I like the sand. I love the way they feel once the finish is knocked down from use.

I only had a minute to check out your new Elforyn inlaid 31 but I really liked the glass blasted finish. I think it went very well with the inlay and I’d prefer it on a wood inlaid or mammoth inlaid Sebenza as well.
I think I’d be split between bead and glass blasted on a micarta inlay and I can’t really think of one that I’d prefer the polished finish on.
It was great to see you, Brother.
Congrats on the new knife.
If you get tired of it, I’ll take it :)

I like the texture in-hand of the standard sand blast a little better. Also, when fresh, the sand blast plays of the light real well in certain conditions, in a way, almost sparkly.

The glass blast seems to pick up wear less easily, comparing inlay models. It also seems to have a more uniform mate gray appearance that makes certain inlays really pop.

I think I prefer glass blast over all.

Last edited:
I love it on my 31. Good move. It seems to wear better . Just a little less pop visually but not by much

I prefer the sand as it has a better feel/grip, plus I like the way it wears in, both in look and feel. The glass finish is way to slippery in my hand. The last thing I want is my super sharp work knife to be is slippery. If it's going to be a safe queen or just handled at home than yeah, I could be OK with the glass finish.

Not a fan of the Cerakote finish either for the same reason, although It is slightly better than the glass finish. They may look better at first but they don't wear in as well as the sand blasted. I've got a few scars on me, so should my knife !

I would like to feel the glass blast firsthand, but my suspicion is that after a few weeks in pocket the traditional finish smooths out to the point where they are quite similar?

And yes, I too am a fan of the character marks.

I have a glass blast inlaid 21. If I ever need to send it in, I’ll have it returned to sand blast. Glass looks cool, sand is warmer in the hand (which I realize makes no sense)

I have been moving toward glass blast. I have several PJ Sebenzas or Inkosis that I have had CRK glass blast. It makes engraving look better and it's kinder on my pants pockets. I have had 0 issues with it being too slippery. Granted, I work a desk job, but I have used them for projects around the house and food prep with no issues. I don't find it as necessary on my micarta inlaid models, but I might have it done on my wedding anniversary Inkosi because I like the refined look of glass blast. Also, I carry a Microtech Kyroh pen which is glass blasted and has a blue highlight, and I like the shared look.

Ive been thinking about this this morning as I put a new CF Inkosi into service. It will only see off work or office duty and would look real cool with the glass blast.

Back