Go Bag

he probably meant he "broke-in" the junglas. if he really did break it there'd be a separate thread on it. honestly, i tried to beat the crap outta it, deliberately batoning it through iron wood knots and such and it won't even chip. it really is a blade i can depend my life on!

eta: whoa! details...details...even if you're not claiming warranty, we'd like to hear what you did...yes, alcohol involvement is an acceptable (or necessary? :eek:) excuse.

Maxpedition for me, is ALOT of hit and miss, threading for some can either be really top notch, for others coming apart at the seems, some things like on my vulture bags, are not aligned. Really bad quality for some stuff. I've seen basic outdoors gear bags generically at big 5 or sports authority sometimes of better or higher quality than Maxpedition. However some items have been really great :) just depends on which pick of the lot you get.

I really like 5.11 now, before? Not so much. Before I went to maxped, the 5.11 bags I had, kept having zipper issues, and stitching would come apart after only a week of carry casual use. Nothing straining.

Conversely... EVERYTHING I've gotten from Maxpedition has been better quality (or as good as) any pack I've gotten from ANY maker anywhere, including Gregory and ... um... Alpine Designs? (very old company I think, that may not even be around anymore). Or North Face, or anything. Not saying by ANY means that LittleSpartan is wrong or anything. Just that my experience has been... well... pretty much exactly opposite. All I can say is, things happen sometimes in manufacture, and it can make a company look REALLY bad. Just giving another input.

Plus, just read the rest of the thread.... anyone that can break a Junglas.... I don't want to get on his bad side. ;)

for a good urban "get home bag," i've been using the camelbak HAWG.

2gy0vuw.jpg

if i had to beat feet to get home, i definitely couldn't deal with a single shoulder strap on a bag. 20+ miles is no good for that.

this is the perfect size to hold enough water, a change of clothing, heat sheet, and some other essentials for me to make it home by foot. holds my leatherman on the outside, waiting to invest in a maxpedition nalgene holder to put on the other side, with a folding platy bag for water.

might look a little too "tacticool" but in LA, a lot of people have military inspired attire/gear.

i've beat the tar out of the bag and it still looks pretty good.

truth be told, i was looking at a lot of maxpedition stuff, but i won a contest and got my HAWG for virtually nothing. thanks skdtac! :D

@ Rockspider, I just think its some bad stuff gets through quality control, here and there, like I said, I STILL buy their stuff. And in the last 2 months or so, I've just decided to buy what works, and sell what doesn't. I still really like maxpedition, because of the variety and setups of all their nifty features on their bags, but others have also come into my closet. I switch and move stuff between bags constantly. So its fine. Its just every once in a while, I have to send stuff back, and get another one, simply cause if you're paying for a product it should be top notch and dependable, right?

he probably meant he "broke-in" the junglas. if he really did break it there'd be a separate thread on it. honestly, i tried to beat the crap outta it, deliberately batoning it through iron wood knots and such and it won't even chip. it really is a blade i can depend my life on!

eta: whoa! details...details...even if you're not claiming warranty, we'd like to hear what you did...yes, alcohol involvement is an acceptable (or necessary? :eek:) excuse.

Hahaha, doesn't mean I wanna share! But funny is, I now suggest to any and everyone esee knives. I've gone so far as to save up, to buy a bulk amount of them to give away as gifts for bdays and upcoming xmas. Same with nifty bags like the Falcon II and Condor, Remora, Sitka, and etc. The Junglas is a really really amazing tool! And I will be giving as gifts to a select few family members as well my old mans head of security :)

I can't stretch enough how much Esee knives have actually changed my life. If not for the incident that changed everything, I'd probably still just build bikes and cars, go to school, and being ignorant. Geeked and only playing games.

I am also back down to my proper weight :) look what a few months of walking, hiking, bowflex, p90x and insanity work outs does with swimming :) It all started with a pair of knives.

@ Rockspider, I just think its some bad stuff gets through quality control, here and there, like I said, I STILL buy their stuff. And in the last 2 months or so, I've just decided to buy what works, and sell what doesn't. I still really like maxpedition, because of the variety and setups of all their nifty features on their bags, but others have also come into my closet. I switch and move stuff between bags constantly. So its fine. Its just every once in a while, I have to send stuff back, and get another one, simply cause if you're paying for a product it should be top notch and dependable, right?

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say you were incorrect. Just to give a counter-point. And it actually sounds like you perhaps have more experience with Maxpedition than I do, since it sounds like you've bought bulk from them. I certainly can't say that. I just buy pieces and parts here and there.

I always try to give a counterpoint if I read someone panning something that I actually have some experience. Again, not to be contradictory to them (or you), but just to give another perspective.

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say you were incorrect. Just to give a counter-point. And it actually sounds like you perhaps have more experience with Maxpedition than I do, since it sounds like you've bought bulk from them. I certainly can't say that. I just buy pieces and parts here and there.

I always try to give a counterpoint if I read someone panning something that I actually have some experience. Again, not to be contradictory to them (or you), but just to give another perspective.

Well for one instance my wife and I bought 10 remora bags alone, 10 LEO versipacks, 10 falcon2s, and etc. I have had close friends and family stuck just this past weekend on way to vegas, some are in other parts of the country as well, I have a cousin who has gone adventuring in the philippines, vietnam, and is planning out south american countries right now. I am ganna give him some stuff which he will ship to a friends address over there, who btw I am thankful for helping him out with who will get a hest, a izula, 5 and junglas from me. I am not rich, but I sold just in the past 2 weeks, an unfinished 71 monte carlo, unfinished 70 camaro, and a twin turbo v8 91 240sx coupe. I am trying to shave off my private collection at the moment of vehicles and reinvesting in other things like land property. Looking for places where I can have huge running room for horses, dirt biking, camping, shoot my guns and etc. I have enough cars and bikes from building since I was a kid.

And with so many people I know out doing things from vacation road trips to moving, I thought, maybe if I stake so much into some of this stuff from knives, to bags, flashlights etc. I mean we all love this stuff right? Why not pass it on to others.

From when I first started to now? Its just a huge difference like day and night, from who I was to now. Emerson folders and busse fixed blades compared to my crkt 16, and benchmade grip, to big five bargain s&w fixed blade knives that are like a few bucks...

target unknown out doors brand bags to mystery ranch, maxped, etc. Even now with all the remora's we have which we are slowly filling with stuff for everyone, the difference in material workmanship is apparent. But all acceptable, because I don't see slight off stitching as a problem for the items long term use and stand up to abuse. If it was like some falcons or vultures I have had where straps were off, meaning it would rest on your shoulders akwardly angled, than returned it would be. I've had issues with the mongo. But eh, otherwise their stuff for the price is a good medium from cheapo stuff, and a great bargain.

I still only buy stuff for me here and there, just for me or the mrs, but you know thats how you find good stuff, through word of mouth, and personal purchases! And your input was greatly appreciated, because everyone has something that misses and passes through quality control sometimes. From Noveske and LWRCi, LMT etc weapons, shoes, to car parts, so no worries!

But I have been wanting a esee bag for a while, but will have to wait, other things right now are weighed at the moment, and its more a want than a need, since i have bags to fit the bill for everything atm, I do however am looking to contract out for a discreet carry bag for my lwrci psd/sbr as well for my 16 length rifles. Sucks that my psd is stuck in colorado lol. Schools over and now its time to gtfo of cali :)

I do however am looking to contract out for a discreet carry bag for my lwrci psd/sbr as well for my 16 length rifles. Sucks that my psd is stuck in colorado lol. Schools over and now its time to gtfo of cali :)

NOW I'm ENVIOUS!

NOW I'm ENVIOUS!

Yah but want to get out of cities, and have a tucked away place, I am trying to see how much it will cost to build a road course/track on a certain property I am eye balling there. But trying to find other places in the US where I can play with my guns happily, its cold, and I can play with and build bikes, cars, trucks and whatever I want, and not worry about being harassed. So Cal is horrid :( I am not driving a huge non functional winged, fwd, honda weighed down by heavy body kits, and chunky heavy wheels....yet they think everyone with a modified car races on open streets, instead of enclosed tracks or various venues lol.

I dont race on the street nor do I even tease or rev at people, its redundant. So eh, if I am somewhere away from So Cal's rice culture, I'll be happier, cause I've never run into trouble in Texas with vehicles, or in Colorado, or Wyoming or etc.

Never been a fan of So. Cali. myself, even though I've only visited a few times. In fact, I haven't been to Cali. since about 2003 time frame, I think, and that was San Diego for only a couple of days. Haven't been to the LA area since probably 1998 at the latest. And never been a big fan. Just not my style.

Good luck with finding a place.

spartan-

whereabouts in orange county are you? my lady temporarily relocated just off the 57 freeway off the lincoln exit by way of south central before we moved in together. at least you don't have to deal with los angeles knife laws. ANY fixed blades above 3" are illegal to carry concealed or open. what's even more puzzling is that folders with blades below 3" must be on a pocket clipped while any blades larger (like my sog trident, terrible choice for a folder i know) must be carried concealed.

i'm no psychology major, but i cant see anyone panicking or running to the police because the clip on my larger folder is showing. i mean, they probably can't even judge the blade length from the clip alone.

in terms of your car, are you of asian descent? because a good amount of police all over socal engage in some sort of racial profiling. friends of mine that are LEO or work with them on the legal side have admitted it. asian in a modified car, african americans in a luxury vehicle, latinos in busted pickup trucks, all are liable to get pulled over at whim. it sucks but it happens and unfortunately i've been on the receiving end. that's why i keep my honda stock, except for my speakers.

california in general is an acquired taste. i've lived here all my life and can't imagine living anyone else. born and raised a city boy. aside from the nutty firearm/knife laws out here, i love it. to each his own though.

I suppose I'm with retro on this... I've lived and worked all my live in SoCal. I like that the beach, mountains, desert and city are all a short drive. I work in Newport Beach and live off the 57 and 210 interchange. Nice to see other Socal people here.

I've found this thread useful as i'm trying to get a good size bag as a get home bag. I like the HAWG, ESEE Laserna Junglas Backpack, Kifaru Scout, my Swiss Gear Laptop bag.

Last edited:
@retrospeaks: My warehouses are in lake forest and tustin. Its more so that the cars are heavily built, all my private collection are except some that I've maintained matching numbers and stock, for the oldies. And I usually drive stock vehicles daily, and trailing to events; same with bikes, daily just simple blacked out bikes. no chrome.

@chacon: yah cali is a nice place to an extent, but else where I've been and visited is a whole lot more appealing. So Cal is a hub for and of, auto culture. But I've found other members of our car team else where, so it wont be so bad :D

@Husky: Nice setup bag! :)

Nice pack Husky.
I'm going with a Blackhawk Cyclone. Got some good recommendations in my thread in WS&S.
It was between the CB Motherlode and the BH Cyclone. The motherlode is tad bit more expensive than the cyclone which barely fits my stretched budget for a pack. And the cyclone has a bit more the typical squarish shape which i find easier to stuff gear in.
With my upcoming birthday, it could be a good one :)

I recently found a company that looks like a GREAT choice for these kind of bags. They are made in Colorado, by an active Airman (Air Force). He has refined his skills by studying under the good folks at Kifaru! The bags are made of 1000 denier nylon and lined with 420 denier pack cloth (like Kifaru). Even with all of that, they are still priced competitively with Maxpedition!

http://jerkingthetrigger.wordpress.com/2010/06/26/mountain-ridge-gear/

I have a sample on the way so I can do a review. I am stoked about these.

Mun whats the one on the left? And I didn't realize it was so huge!

Beautiful daughter btw!

How much was the bag if you remember? And from where? Trying to weigh out my options, and which to get. My Mrs' said why not get more than one bag? She said I could load one up to carry on me readily, and she showed me some duffles from Maxpedition, which I am also considering on purchasing as well!

Do you have any pictures of the inside more closely? Could you put a shoe in there or something else for size comparison? How do the straps feel? Are they really comfy? Lastly how do the zippers hold up? I want to really compress and put as much into my bag as possible, like spare clothes, hygienic items, mre's. etc.

That's the Maxpedition Pygmy falcon II

Thanks!

They can be bought from mystery ranch online. Here: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3290/.f?sc=8&category=1970

The straps are very comfortable but they don't really carry the load. That's what the waist belt does. I would reccomend upgrading to the 'live wing', it does help with heavier loads. The waist belt can be tucked to the sides when not needed.
The zipper are good, I loaded my bag pretty full several times and they hold up very well. Also, the compression straps are there to remove some of the load from the zippers.

Here are some more pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/munckmb/sets/72157624273900501/

I added a bahco folding saw as reference. In the water bladder compartment is my tarp to hold the pack in shape. On the inside there are two pockets. A zippered mesh one and a large deep one. They are on both sides of the pack. On the lid there is a small 'admin' pouch and another very large pouch. On the sides there are two bottle pouches and two open pouches for hiking poles or maybe a mono(tri)pod. You can place a tripod between the compression strap on the side and the open pocket and it won't move. Very handy feature.
I really like the pack, it's great for hikes with my wife and little one where I'm carrying the bulk of our stuff. Food, extra layer, water and such. Oh, BTW I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall.

I hopes this helps. Sorry for the long delay in reply, I just noticed this thread was resurrected :D

OK - I just changed my mind... I think the next item on the "must have" list is the Junglas Laserna. That is just a great bag.

I just use a large tactical bag that I got from my employer. I put a change of clothes (including shoes) for my wife and myself along with a first aid kit, a leatherman tool, some road flares, bottled water, extra ammo for my Glock, and rope. I am open for suggestions as to what else I should put in this small version of a duffel bag.

I just use a large tactical bag that I got from my employer. I put a change of clothes (including shoes) for my wife and myself along with a first aid kit, a leatherman tool, some road flares, bottled water, extra ammo for my Glock, and rope. I am open for suggestions as to what else I should put in this small version of a duffel bag.

I just got a pair of matching maxped duffs to use for when I am traveling, going to see how these stack up.

100_0356.jpg

100_0358.jpg

maxpedition condor II
orange dry bag clothes/socks
OD paracord
mess kit
blue dry bag(first aid kit)
spiderwire/needle
surgical kit
MSR sweetwater aqua tabs
rem oil wipes
green money bag with silver coins