Going Away Giveaway!

JTB_5

Gold Member
In recent days I've tried to take some stock of how I've been spending my time and money and I realize that I need to reprioritize some things in my life in order to better love and serve those around me (my church, my family, the folks I work with, etc.).

One of the changes involves spending less time looking at and buying knives. As much as I have come to love and appreciate the folks on "The Porch," I have been forced to realize that my time and money are precious--especially the time, but often filling up the time requires some money, too. I had to ask myself questions, like, "What would have been a better use of time: spending thirty minutes on BladeForums or Instagram, or chatting with my wife, or playing a matching game with my daughter?" Please know that my own convictions about my time apply to myself, and are by no means intended to reflect upon how others spend their time, especially here. But every one of us must make choices about the time and resources we have been given, and, for myself, I know where I ought to be making changes.

That being said, I don't know to what I extent I'll be gone (it won't, I imagine, be for good, but who knows), but I do want to say how thankful I am to everyone who has welcomed me and made the time I have spent here so excellent.

Since I have been the recipient of a great amount of generosity, hospitality, and encouragement from the folks here I want to give back a few of the knives I've been given as a direct result of BladeForums, and specifically, "The Porch."

Here's what I'm giving away:
fullsizeoutput_2ebb.jpeg
Top: a GEC cocobolo white owl that @traumkommode gave to me. Andrew has been a Porch companion who I've been glad to have some contact with outside of just the forum. We've shared a lot of knife love, and I've really enjoyed his knife modifications.

Middle: a Weidmannsheil scout knife in stag that I won in a giveaway by @Campbellclanman. Duncan is a gentleman and very generous fellow, as many of you know even better than I do!

Bottom: an Arthur Wright & Sons "big'un" lambsfoot in horn that I won in a giveaway by @Jack Black. In many ways, The Porch wouldn't be The Porch without Jack Black. He has singlehandedly (it seems to me) popularize what has become my favorite knife pattern: the lambsfoot. The Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread has exploded, and not in small part because it encapsulates all of the best aspects of "The Porch" in one thread.

I'll be going out of town for work later this week, and then on vacation with family, so this is going to be a really short giveaway--I'll pick one winner who will get all three knives on Monday afternoon/evening and ship the knives out to the winner on Tuesday. Here are the rules:

1. You must be a paying member of Bladeforums.
2. You must have at least 50 posts in in the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades Forum.

Disclaimer: If you win but cannot get me your mailing information before I can mail the knives on Tuesday, it will not be possible for me to send the knives until early July.

If you do not wish to enter the contest but would like to express your thanks, please do so by nominating a member who you have been encouraged by, and who you think would enjoy receiving the knives.

I appreciate what you are doing. I am like you. I have taken some time off here and there from the porch and i have never been sorry for it. Take the time to enjoy Jesus and your family. For me it comes down to spending time with God or looking at knives. I choose God. That dosnt mean i dont come back and visit but my time here on the forums has been a lot less then it used to be. So enjoy life with Jesus and your family.

P. S. Not an entry

Joshua, you will be missed! But . . . the reasons for your absence are not only understandable, but laudable. I hope you find the peace you are looking for with your new time commitments. Please count me in, and thank you!

You're a great member around here, and it's commendable that you're prioritizing you're life and family over this hobby.
I appreciate your generosity but am filled up on new additions right now.
I'd like to nominate 5K Qs, he's a great guy with nothing but positive comments and always takes the time for those large multi quotes he does.
That's fairly time consuming to individually address each comment like he does.

This is a great reminder of my need to prioritize my time. I spend too much time on things that dont matter and I need to make some changes as well.

Thank you for the reminder.

I'd also like a chance to win one of those knives if it's ok.

I would love to enter your GAW. Over time I have participated less on some forums but still lurk in the shadows. I don’t participate in social media but do see the distractions it creates. Take care of your family and yourself.

Treat this place like an old high school buddy, swing in and say hi when you’re in town.

I commend your faith to God and family, time is one of those things that once it passes there is no getting it back. Quality time with God and family is never regretted, but time lost with either almost always is. I do spend some time here daily, but for now I'm single,and its probably been 6 months since my TV was plugged in. And that was only to play xbox some in the evening occasionally. It's been pretty close to 8 years since I've watched any TV program, only TV I've watched has been in the waiting room at the doctors. And that only affirmed why I dont watch it. Any man that puts God and family first is a good man IMHO. I would like to be "in" please, thank you for the opportunity.

Thank you for all you have contributed to the forum.
I hope you find the happiness you seek, it sounds like you are looking in the right places.
Well, since Dennis entered my name I guess I'm in anyways :D

Last edited:
It has been a great pleasure getting to know you through your posts and pics on the Guardians, and elsewhere on BF.
I hope your new path on the journey of life brings you all the peace and love you seek and deserve.
Please accept my entry into your generous GAW.
Thank you for the opportunity.
OG

Back