going barefoot...

so, i've been checking out the show 'dual survival' after hearing a few mention it on this forum and i really like it. i like how you get a two for one as far as survival techniques and advice.

anyway, i was wondering about the barefoot thing. it seems to only hinder cody on the show without much benefit. i'm not sure if there is supposed to be a benefit or not, other than just his own personal philosophy, but i figured i'd see what you guys think.

when i was back in central florida, i used to hike barefoot through the woods, but only in places that i knew well and that had nice soft ground. i always had a pair of sandals to throw on in case i found myself in harsher environment. i didn't have a reason to do it, other than the fact that there is really nothing like feeling the earth beneath your feet. ever since i left florida, the places i've been have been less conducive to barefoot hiking, which has led me to search for the perfect hiking sandals.

i went through chacos and found them to not be too comfortable after they got dirty. then it was keens. those are great for anything water related. after breaking them in, i love them.

the latest i've been trying is the vibram fivefingers. they've kind of become a fad now among gym goers. personally, i wouldn't wear them in the gym, but i do like them for hiking. they give you the contour of the ground and way more feeling than a shoe or boot, but with a small layer of protection. so far, these are my favorite because they really let you feel the ground like your are barefoot, but with a little less pain from rocks and roots, etc. the only thing i don't like is when they are wet. they suck for getting wet, imo.

what do you all think? cody seems to do alright without shoes, but he usually slows them down substantially on the show and they are always talking about it being a liability. can you think of any good reason to do this besides liking to feel the ground?

ramble complete for now...

I think part of his troubles on the show are related to the fact that he is "out of his element" so to speak. It probably does not hinder him much in the area he lives and is very familiar with, but drop him into a new environment like you see in the shows, and it can be a hinderance to a degree. Just like some of the methods I use where I use would be a hinderance in another different environment.

Personally, give me the toughest, heaviest, leather boots out there :D

http://nicksboots.com/

You can get some Huaraches from Invisible Shoes.com Good stuff quick shipping. Just got mine at the beginning of the week. Still working out a kink in the strap work (getting it how I want it.) They are awesome. But I gotta get my feet used to the whole thing.

God bless,
Adam

PS: Will do some review when I get it all going and have some knowledge from which to speak.

I have a pair of Five Fingers that I got for kayaking and they're great for that - in the warmer months. Haven't been out since it's been cold and do prefer a pair of neoprene booties given the temp. As far as wearing them around, kind of like wearing sandals that aren't going to fall off if you break into a dead sprint. I would compare them to those "conditioning shoes" whose soles look like the bottom of a rocking chair and are designed to give you a work out while walking (AND designed for women). The Five Fingers do cause you to walk differently (possibly relying more on your feet to compensate for microchanges on the surface you're walking on????) but there's definitely a "fatigued feeling" after you wear these around all day.

As for running: a lot of people I know are using these in place of running shoes and there are more than a few companies developing running type shoes with less of an insole bringing the sole of the foot in closer contact to the earth. They absolutely require a different "stride" to be used as opposed to conventional running shoes. Key point here is heel strike, as conventional running shoes are designed for "heel toe stride" and have the insole to support that impact, nearly barefoot shoes require something of a "ball to ball" (ball of foot stride). You should research more if this is something your looking into as there's much more info out there. Anyways, with any well thought out organized approach you can condition yourself to a lot of things (google rhabdomyolysis). So there's no reason these aren't great for running - if that's what floats your boat.

Barefoot: I grew up in south florida and realized at an early age that running around barefoot in the warmer months caused the bottom of my feet to thicken. No different than calouses that form just below your fingers on your palms after repeated hard work or working out. The tissue on your palms and feet responds this way to repeated abuse. I'm of the opinion that running around barerfoot causes the bottom of your feet to thicken thereby "toughens it up". As for "mitochondria changing" - (Cody said as much on dual survivor) I'm pretty sure we're talking about something that would have to happen over generations, but I'm no doctor.

my two cents.

T

I'm flat footed. Ta hell with going barefoot. This boy wear boots, heavy duty, and made by Rocky. Nope, no barefeet.

Moose

Even the Native American Indians were smart enough to make moccasins!

But Cody is correct about one thing -- walking without shoes forces you lead with the ball of your foot, instead of your heel, which is better for your legs, back, and spine. Classically trained dancers (aka ballerinas), also walk this way.

Me? I like my boots. Hell, I wear 'em to bed sometimes . . . or, at least, I keep 'em close by.

work.3186256.2.flat,550x550,075,f.who-owns-those-boots-beneath-the-bed-where-my-old-boots-should-be-v-2-close-up-detail.jpg

I'm flat footed. Ta hell with going barefoot. This boy wear boots, heavy duty, and made by Rocky. Nope, no barefeet.

Moose

A well told story, heartfelt sympathy for the protagonist, could use more dragons, or maybe ninjas.

T

Actually, concerning flat footedness, barefoot walking can actually help that conidtion. (I'm not a doctor. If you follow this advice it is not medical advice. The reader is responsible to ask a real doctor about these things. If you get eaten by a bear while attempting this, I will laugh)

God bless,
Adam

Actually, concerning flat footedness, barefoot walking can actually help that conidtion. (I'm not a doctor. If you follow this advice it is not medical advice. The reader is responsible to ask a real doctor about these things. If you get eaten by a bear while attempting this, I will laugh)

God bless,
Adam

I have heard that, but I have also had a stone bruise the size of a peach in the middle of my foot. Boots.

Moose

i've had pretty bad shin splints and stress fractures a lot over the last seven years, which keeps me from running too much. i got the fivefingers because i like the idea of hiking barefoot, but with protection and because i thought it might help strengthen my legs and feet so that i'd have less problems. the only problem is that i don't really wear them enough for it to really help. it's either too cold, or raining, or i'm going somewhere i might have to take them off (they're fine on, but if you take them off, the stink pretty bad).

adam, those look interesting, but i'm not sure i'm sold. i think the fivefingers probably offer the same thing, but with better security and protection. i'd love to see your review though. the ones on the site seem so fanboi.

terrorbl, i've got the kso version and it's actually pretty secure on my feet. i've sprinted in them to test it out and they were great. btw, you still feel a rock in your foot if you run over one at full speed. ouch! but a little less ouch than completely barefoot. oh, and thanks for the laugh.

link2derek, i actually first thought of the idea from watching last of the mohicans when i was a kid. when i'm barefoot, or as close as possible, i feel more freedom and more connected. i hate to sound all hippie because i'm really not. i do love to feel the ground though.

obviously, there are better and worse environments to try this in and it takes a lot of getting used to, even if it's just around the block. i was really dumb and decided a day at disney world was a great day to try out my new fivefingers. it was cool for the first few hours, but then i got tired of people asking me about them and there was a lot of pain and discomfort to deal with. i don't know why, but i have a real bad habit of breaking shoes in in the worst possible way. i broke my keens in (and my poor feet) on a mountain in korea. by the time we were done, i was walking barefoot over golf ball sized rocks because it hurt less than wearing the sandals. now they're great though.

I have also had a stone bruise the size of a peach in the middle of my foot. Boots.

I stepped on a rusty nail (about a 10d) when I was a kid -- it went right through my foot. Now I wear boots in the house. See my previous post for more on that.

I watch that show every once in a while. He has said that it helps him feel closer to mother earth or something to that effect. As for me, I am a big fan of sandles, shoes, and boots.

mlrs

Knowing now that Five-Fingers were tested for years before release, I think we have the Bigfoot myth busted. :rolleyes:

I cant hardly walk out the sidewalk to get the mail bare footed so this guy will always choose the shoes. No shoes would be nothing but a liability and slow a guy down. Maybe if I were stranded on the right beach I would go shoeless otherwise I cover my feet.

I can't even think of going barefooted for long anymore. Had to get orthotics to keep away plantar fasciitis. I bet Cody Lundin would rig himself some makeshift sandals in a heartbeat if I had him go gather eggs in a chicken coop on a regular basis. :D

About the ONLY places I don't wear some kind of shoe/boot are in bed or the shower! Even as a kid I always liked to have footwear on! Personally, I think Cody is a little nuts...

Indians wore shoes, early man wore shoes, Jesus wore sandals. For heavens sake wear shoes.

Back